on 20 July 2013
Away from the showbiz and the duets . We find Tom in contemporary mode. Starting with Leonard Cohen's Tower Of Song.. very emotive... a getting- long- in- the- tooth tale, and he actually matches Mr Cohen on this class song ( I ache in the places where I used to play, like life is a kick in the balls many will relate to this). (I Want To)Come Home, where you know you've been away too long but home keeps calling written by Paul McCartney. Hit Or Miss do it your way be yourself and just go for it. Love And Blessings is just that. Soul Of A Man written by Blind Willie Johnson sounds so heart felt, great. Bad As Me... like it or not we are not that different. Dimming Of The Day says that the night is a lonely place. Travelling Shoes is wonderful stuff , just give it a listen. All Blues Hail Mary , nice and deep.Charlie Darwin is new to me but works so well. Not a song out of place on this album. Tom really does subtle. This album got a better reception than the previous, Praise And Blame. maybe it took people by surprise, I love them both equally.I just played this album to my mate and he thinks this is Jones the voice's perfect direction.
on 2 December 2015
A late-period classic from a guy we all thought was a bump-and-grind Vegas act. Just a terrific artistic curveball and part of a late period trilogy which puts the Welshman into the hip Indie/Folk bag and as far away from Tahoe, Reno and Vegas as he could artistically get. If you like the Handsome Family, early Ryan Adams, Lucinda Williams, the Coal Porters, solo Richard Thompson and so forth and so on then this platter is for you. Contains at least four classic cuts and the rest is pretty groovy as well.
One person found this helpful
on 29 October 2012
I purchased this album on the back of seeing Tom Jones in concert on BBC4, when he had amongst others
Seasick Steve guesting, I sat mesmerised by the whole thing,this guy's voice just gets better with age,
rather like a good wine. I was never a fan of Tom Jones, which was basically down to the material he sang,
however I always thought his voice was great, Spirit in The Room is quite astounding, both the material and the
musicianship are fabulous,His voice is quite amazing, he puts his whole soul into every number.If you are
uncertain about buying this CD, DONT BE !! Buy it now without hesitation, put it on, lie back and immerse
yourself in the Blues, Country and Gospel sounds this recording provides. An Absolutely Brilliant Album !!!!
on 14 October 2012
Well it's Tom Jones in a different light, not really sure about this album. I like some of it and I suppose the rest will grow on me! It is all down to taste. If you are not an ardent fan of Tom Jones, you might, like me, struggle to appriciate everything on this album. So although I am not blowen away with it I do like it in parts.
on 8 January 2013
Tom Jones still has a great voice and his albums of the last few years have been his best work. He now seems able to choose songs that he wants to sing and this album is full of surprises. A real mixed bag of styles and musical choices. Always sung well and not always with the typical Jones power but often with great tenderness and feeling. One song in particular reminded me of Elvis at his best with warm strong tones to the voice. I leave you to work out which song I mean. A very good album well worth owning and listening to.
on 1 January 2015
Tom may have a Spirit in the Room with him but it didn't do anything for me. Sorry Tom. I didn't see anything and have only listened to it a couple of times. If it doesn't grab me first time round, that's the end of, I'm afraid.
on 8 November 2012
Until now, I never really liked TJ - but this release has changed all that. I first saw and heard these songs on BBC TV and loved them. Lots of soulful stuff with superb accoustic backing and Tom does the whole repertoire justice with sensitivity and thoughtfulness. Worth the money just to experience a 'grown up' Tom Jones!
on 14 August 2016
Tom's voice has roughened beautifully with age and I just love the songs on this CD. Both the words and the voice cut into your heart.
on 23 July 2017
I thought it`s ok, good old Tom!!
on 27 March 2018
I just love Tom's older voice which is ideally suited to this more bluesy material.