on 27 February 2013
Bit of a problem with this review as it only involves the left shoe(I'm on crutches for 12wks) so my right shoes are having a bit of a holiday at the moment. However, well impressed with the left shoe and I dare say the right is as good too!! I was looking for good support particularly in my current position and a strong, waterproof shoe to take the knocks. Sports trainers are about as waterproof as cheese-cloth,so I always look for shoes with the Goretex TM stamped on them. These shoes have a firm but comfortable sole with excellent grip and the stitching on the uppers is of high quality too. An unseasonable dry spell has meant I havent been able to test how they keep the water out, but I've every confidence in them doing the job.
I bought them for around the £70 mark and intend using them for general leisure use. I call that good value as they are around £20 cheaper than the equivalent Clarks leisure shoes I normally buy and are as good as if not better quality.
on 17 August 2013
Really well made, water proof even walking in long grass just after its rained. Very comfortable although you do need to break them in a wee bit. Only criticism is the size but so long as you are aware of that before you order you should be ok. I am a size 10 1/2 but more between a 10 and a 10 1/2 than a 10 1/2 to a 11 so I opted for the size 11 as having read the reviews the size is on the small side. They did feel a little tight to start with (not uncomfortable) and I had my doubts if I had done the right thing, but after walking the dogs daily for a few weeks they soon felt just right, you don't want a walking shoe that is too big where your feet move around too much, and these feel like you are walking bare foot but they are at the same time very comfortable and springy. Only thing to watch out is they can be slippy on wet stone/concrete but they grip very well on all other surfaces. I sometimes forget to take them off and wear them all day, they are that comfortable.
Just came back from hiking in the Swiss Alps and they were brilliant, felt you could trust them, confident and solid and comfortable.
on 13 June 2015
This purchase was to replace a pair purchased 18-months which I've worn out (only the sole had worn out on the old pair).

So, I'd assumed that by ordering the same 'model' and size again, I'd be fine.

This new pair appear tighter. I'm pretty sure that at my age my feet haven't grown in length over the last 18-months (my other hiking boots/shoes all still fit ok).

I won't return them as I'm guessing they'll give a little with liberal applications of 'shoe stretcher' spray combined with wooden shoe stretchers.
on 27 May 2016
Disappointed with this particular pair of walking shoes as they really are the most uncomfortable footwear I've ever worn whilst out walking the dog etc. I was looking to spend a reasonable amount to purchase a high quality shoe and brought these online. They absolutely cripple my toes if laced up normally and only by tying the laces really tight can I help my feet from being squashed up towards the toe end, but needless to say in that configuration my feet then hurt! I've tried wearing them now for a couple of months and they continue to feel like a tourniquet . . . Not a good buy. I'll not purchase Merrell again.
on 8 March 2016
first test walk today 7 miles, very comfortable and stable, no probs enjoyed the walk in the new shoes, I am normally a 10 but always buy merrells a size up so size 11 and find they fit ok, they are starting to come out a bit on the wide side but would not buy any other make, unless they get to wide !!! , have worn merrells for at least 15 years
on 29 August 2015
Luckily I read the comments and they said to get 1 size bigger, I did that.

I then went on a 10 day trip walking around Italy from West to East.

Never did my feet feel bad or get blisters. I was wearing thin socks in the baking heat and my feet did not get super sweaty. I then got home and put on my casual shoes and I was really amazed by how uncomfortable they felt as I had got used to these walking shoes!!
on 19 July 2016
they did fit as expected once I found out i should order slightly larger than my normal size shoes to allow for walking down hills. walked about 8 miles up & down in Bryce canyon on 1st use & never got a single blister, (had cushion socks too)
on 4 December 2015
I've had a pair of Merrell's before that wore out after three years never off my feet. As others have said you may want to order a half size bigger as they are a snug but very comfortable fit. The last pair never let water in and kept my feet cool on long walks including surface snow and desert conditions. Never had any problems with slipping on any surface I've walked on unlike other makes I've had with more pronounced apparent grip on the soles.
Based on the few times i've worn the new pair I expect these to be the same. If not I'll let you update the review.
on 15 September 2014
I was very disappointed with these Merrell Phoenix Gtx Boulder hiking shoes as I wanted a pair of waterproof shoes for walking in during the winter months.

Upon receipt of these shoes I could immediately see that the soles were not glued on to the actual sole to the standard I would expect for such a shoe. There was no way that they were going to be waterproof.

There were bits of glue in various places on both shoes and, even worse, you could quite clearly see lots of gaps between the rubber sole and the shoe itself - either they had not applied enough glue to stick both sole and shoe together or the manufacturing of the shoe was faulty.

I don't know about you but I expect shoes marketed as waterproof to be waterproof - any shoe that has such numerous holes and gaps between the rubber sole and the shoe itself is certainly not going to be waterproof.

Any rain will simply run into the holes and collect beneath the shoe between shoe and sole. The same thing will happen if walking on wet pavements or occasional splashing through puddles. The water will no doubt begin to smell and, worse, leave you with wet feet.

In particular, the gaps between sole and shoe around the heel were just too much - lots of space - and I doubt that the soles would have stayed attached to the shoe for long.

The above was a real shame as the shoes felt really comfy when I tried them on. I ordered size 12 and size 12 was fine for me. I have wide feet and these felt the right width for me.

I have bought lots of Merrell over the years and most of the pairs I bought 8 to 10 years ago were fantastic - long lasting and waterproof. But recent purchases of their shoes has been very poor in terms of quality.

I have seen numerous Merrell shoes where there have been poor quality gluing between sole and shoe - i.e. loads of small and not small gaps along the seam between sole and shoe which should be perfectly sealed. IMPO they seem to have a manufacturing problem with large mens shoe sizes.

I did actually wonder whether the small hands of Chinese workers making these have trouble manipulating the large mens shoe sizes - and hence this is why you see so many large mens Merrell shoes with this above problem? It doesn't seem to be a problem with smaller sizes from what I have observed.

Merrell really need to crack down on their quality control or move their manufacturing somewhere where they can be assured of quality. Let's face it - the number one thing you want in a waterproof shoe is for it to be waterproof.

So, what do I think of these Merrell Phoenix shoes? If they had been a cheap pair of trainers that I did not expect to be waterproof they would have been about OK... just about. But for a high-priced quality waterproof shoe they were rubbish.

Maybe I just got unlucky and got a bad pair?

I returned them. Amazon returns were excellent.

September 15th, 2014.
on 14 December 2015
Rugged, comfortable and versatile, these shoes are just what I wanted. I wasn't looking for ankle support or guaranteed waterproof performance in all conditions but I did want lightweight, breathable, showerproof wear for moderate walking conditions. I am quite happy with my choice.