Customer reviews

on 29 December 2012
Others have commented that this book seems poorly edited and there are errors of both spelling and punctuation and I will add no further to those points.

With any book the ability to transport the reader into the world of the story is vital. In that, this book excels. A thoroughly enjoyable and gripping read.

I recommend it.
on 22 May 2017
Interesting docudrama, good atmosphere but a tad slow at times for a novel. Hardly a page Turner but a good painting of Victorian London dark side.
on 23 August 2013
I bought this without reading a sample first because of the number of high reviews, but I ended up returning it for a refund.
The story seemed great, but the writing is somewhat amateurish and conversations between characters are awkward and unrealistic. I could have dealt with all that, but what really pushed me over the edge was the punctuation. There are question marks where there should be periods, periods where there should be commas, apostrophes where there should be none and then none where should be one, strange spacing, missing capital letters.
It made it unreadable for me.
on 19 December 2012
A brilliant novel - gripping and very atmospheric. A well drawn cast of characters and i genuinely didn't know who did it until the author revealed the Rippers identity in the closing chapters of the novel. A highlight for me is how the author developed the back story of the five canonical Ripper victims - intriguing insights into their lives and the times in which they lived. I could have read pages and pages of this stuff. My only negative is the typos which for me really interrupted the narrative flow (was the text not proof read before going on sale to the public?). Please get this sorted and you have a first class product.
on 29 April 2013
A real page turner that gets you gripped from the start. I found it hard to put down and nearly missed by stop on the train! The way the author brings it all together and knits all the characters lives into one another makes you want to keep reading on. Written at a nice steady pace and coming to a climax that you'll never expect. I'm sure many others will enjoy this book as much as I did.
on 2 April 2014
A good depiction of a Gin soaked east London during the period of Jack the Ripper. The story moves at a good pace and maintains interest. The characters are well drawn. It could have been a tad more gory, given the subject matter. A very enjoyable read and would recommend to others.
There were some odd spacing issues in paragraphs and at the end of chapters. There were also some editing issues, but this didn't detract the enjoyment for me, although it may for others.
on 5 December 2012
Apart from a couple of silly mistakes in this book, it was absolutely superb. The author makes you really care about the characters and yearn to know more about them and what became of them long after the final page.

An amazing account of squalid, Victorian London, and genuinely creepy in places.

Really enjoyed this book and would thoroughly recommend it. You won't be able to put it down !
on 8 April 2014
Anyone who has an interest in Jack the Ripper I would think would enjoy this book, I found it quite interesting. Although of course no one really knows who exactly the ripper was the storyline was really good and gave an insight to the people involved who they were and what their lives were like, also of the consequences that occurred. I only gave four stars as I felt the details of the murders were a little too explicit even though the events were true and as gruesome as described I think the majority of people already knew what the out come was going to be and didn't really need to be as in depth. Otherwise I enjoyed reading this book it was very similar to a production that was made for TV with Michael Caine as Inspector Frederick Aberline
on 3 November 2013
I am really not a great fiction reader, but this was recommended by a friend and I enjoyed every page. I read it over a few boring train journeys and found myself, for about the first time ever, hoping the journey wouldn't stop and I could continue reading. There are some minor errors as pointed out by others, but they didn't detract from the read for me at all. Overall an interesting spin on a fascinating unsolved story - the truth of which we will probably never know. I've now read the author's other novels and look forward, I hope, to more in the not too distant future.
on 6 June 2013
Everyone knows the story of Jack The Ripper but this takes you back to that Victorian time in which you feel like
you were actually there. A great read, a classic.