on 19 July 2005
Based on a Collier's Magazine serial by Jack Finney, "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" is an intelligent, superb example of its era and genre, with excellent direction and cast. Director Don Siegel said that this was probably his best film, though he deplored that the film studio (United Artists) made him add a prologue and epilogue, and tell the story with narration as a flashback. Though this format would weaken the chilling effect of the story somewhat, it is nevertheless riveting and quite frightening. When Doctor Miles Bennell returns from a business trip, he finds his small town changed, with people saying that their loved ones are "no longer the same." Miles also finds that his sweetheart of many years ago, Becky Driscoll, has come home after a 5 year absence, and a divorce, and they make a marvelous duo, quoting Shakespeare to each other, and with some dialogue that in the mid 1950s would have been quite racy.
Kevin McCarthy is marvelous as Miles, who runs a race against time and sleep to fight the pod people, and Dana Wynter is beautiful as Becky. There are others in the above average cast that will be familiar to old time TV viewers, like Carolyn Jones (Morticia of "The Adams Family"), Virginia Christine (Mrs. Olsen of the Folger's Coffee commercials), and Richard Deacon (Mel Cooley of "The Dick Van Dyke Show"). Among the credits, the great Carmen Dragon did the soundtrack, Ellsworth Fredericks the cinematography, and Daniel Mainwaring the bright and clever script.
The premise as I see it (and I think every viewer will bring his own interpretation to this film depending on his viewpoint) is still valid, as conformity is still king, and pod people are ever present. The 1978 remake is one of the few that lives up to the original, and is also highly recommended. Total running time is 80 minutes.
on 4 October 2007
First the good news. This film IS a classic of its kind and indispensible for fans of the genre. It is fascinating to watch it and compare it with the Donald Sutherland remake and see how the latter incorporates scenes from the first.

The bad news is that I agree with the previous reviewer. The picture is not exactly sharp and the sound quality equally poor in parts. The only extra is more of a curio; the colourised version.

I'm glad I have it, but a little disappointed to have no commentary or feature putting it into context.
on 4 March 2013
A landmark in cinema, not just in sci-fi, but in cinema period. This film truly set the bench mark for high tension, suspense, and paranoia which the 1970's remake comes close to, but doesn't quite match. This is the film that introduced the idea of aliens that take over the world via the mind (the idea was first popularized by Robert A. Heinleind in "The Puppet Masters" and later turned in to the book Invasion of the Body Snatchers" by Jack Finney) and has since become a common theme in sci-fi and horror, but anyone who is interested in good films or the roots of sci-fi needs to watch this movie and if you have the time read Heinleind and Finney's novels as well.

I was 10yrs the first time I saw this film. I walked down to Hollywood Video (whom are now bankrupt) which was a few blocks from my house and since I was always attracted to creepy and/or horror movies, I thought this looked very interesting and I rented it. When I got home and watched it I was absolutely amazed at this movie and how terrifying it truly was, as prone to nightmares as I already was, I realize a couple of years back that this movie gave me nightmares for the next 14yrs it affected me that much. I watched it not once, but 10 times over the next week, and soon this movie was tied between The Lion King and itself for my favorite movie of all time.

When I watched the movie as I got older, the feeling of terror, claustrophobia, and paranoia never vanished from this film, it gives that same creepy feeling every time you view it. I am sad to say I can no longer watch it for this very reason, it gives me horrible nightmares, but I enjoy the memory of it and it still remains in the top 5 of what I consider to be the best sci-fi films of all time.

I highly doubt most of you will be as affected by it as I am, but I do hope you all enjoy it.

God Bless ~Amy
on 5 June 2008
One of the Best- Ever Si Fi/ Horror Movies. A Classic, much imitated by later film-makers. It stands the test if time, even though I know some people won't give old black and white movies a look, I cadjolled my 25 year son into watching it , and he thought it was way better and more scary than most modern day Slasher - Pics.
The sininster atmosphere conveyed, the casting, the special effects, , and actors still hold the power to chill the bones today,
on 26 March 2008
This is a very clever, full on, classic sci-fi adventure that captures a style of film-making enbracing noir and expressionism in a delightfully morbid-sense of cinematic storytelling. So why 3 stars? Because this print (welcomed in widescreen) looks as if (at times) it has been transferred from a long defunct Nickleodean. Sloppy grainy presentation. Shame.
on 17 February 2016
Not just the best Sci-Fi movie of the 50’s, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers is one of the best Sci-Fi films of all time. Brilliantly directed by Don Siegel (of Dirty Harry fame) it’s really chilling.
This Spanish Blu-ray plays in 16:9 which I believe is the original aspect. It’s in black and white, not the dreadful hand coloured version. The picture quality is excellent and looks as though the movie has been remastered. The default language is Castellano (Spanish), so you need to select Audio in the Main Menu and select Ingles (English), which is easy enough.
on 3 April 2014
I remember seeing this film when I was a young child. I was glued to the tv all the way through and thought that the pods in the basements were a bit scary as they were incubating aliens that would look just like the householders and would take the place of the humans by killing them and looking exactly like them. I remember being fascinated with this film. This was a great film of it's time.
Invasion of the Body Snatchers is one of the best sci-fi films ever made, well "The Day the Earth Stood Still" is my personal best.

What I love about this film was the screenplay, and for me one of the best ways for a alien race to take over, i mean could you imagine knowing your friends and family have been taken over and no one would believe you?, that would be horrible.
But what I love the most about this film is the voice over by Kevin McCarthy, and how brilliant is was to see him briefly in the remake?.
This is a wonderful film which was a bench mark for many further films to come.
on 15 August 2012
Although I have this disc already, I would highly recommend this release. The only gripe is that it's shown in 4:3 widescreen, not 16:9 anamorphic. I don't know if it got released in its original widescreen format, either in R1 or 2.That doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the film, though. It grips from start to finish. Also, you have the option of watching the movie in its original B&W or colourised versions. Its not only one of the finest sci-fi movies of all time, but its in my top ten great masterpieces. And its directed by the great Don Siegal, who made a certain Harry very Dirty!
on 12 March 2014
Whilst the 1979 version on the story is an undoubted classic, the sheer brilliance of the original never fades. Whether watching for the first or fiftieth time its a compelling tale well told. The acting is very good and he leads exemplary

This new HD version comes in the correct aspect ratio and whilst it doesn't "pop" as much as I suspect a big budget remaster would, the print is very good and the sound clean.

Its a brilliant film and its a shame that there isnt a single extra on this release
44 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse