Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

VINE VOICEon 2 June 2005
This classic book is a staunch favourite in our house and has been for years! The drawings are fabulous, the storyline builds to a wonderful climax and the little twist at the end is just delicious. It is simply one of the best books for young children and I have never yet met one who didn't love it once they had met it!
Some books make you sigh when your child asks for it yet again, but this one never does. It is always a pleasure to read for both the parent and the child and I heartily commend it to you as an excellent addition to your collection.
on 1 May 2008
One day, there was a knock at the door of Sophie's house, just as she and her mummy were going to have tea, but the milkman had already come and it was not the day for the boy from the grocer; it could not be daddy because he was coming home a little bit later and he had his keys. Who was the mysterious being at the door? Find out in this book...

This book is wonderful: the illustrations are vivid and bright; the vocabulary range is good for children aged from 4 - 7 and the story line is delightful. It is a truly superb book.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book with my brother (who enjoyed it as well) and would rate it, for myself and on behalf of my brother, 10/ 10.
on 18 November 2001
Both our kids think this book is wonderful. Our daughter, now 5, is a bit old for it now,but adored it at age 2. Our 2 year old son now wants it read to him every night (several times ideally!), and loves to hear about the naughty tiger, and now knows most of it off by heart!
The illustrations, although dated, are very colourful and fun, and remind me of books I had when I was little - a bit of nostalgia!
A very highly recommended book.
on 2 September 2006
I loved this book as a child, and it would be just worth keeping now I'm in my teens just to bring back the memories of those first few years of me being able to read!

I would definitely recommend for any mum who has a toddler - read it to them and I doubt they'd forget it even when they're 30! =P
on 12 September 2004
...and has rather more than his fair share!
As a result, the evening routine is compromised!

Oh dear!
But...don't worry...all is well at the end!

From the back cover:

'The doorbell rings just as Sophie and her mummy are sitting down to tea.
Who could it possibly be?
What they certainly don't expect to see at the door is a big furry, stripy tiger!'

'The multi-million selling picture book no childhood should be without.'

Durable board covers open to 28 high quality shiny pages in the popular 2-page spread format.
Brilliant illustrations, from Ms Kerr, this super read-with-me story is further enhanced by meaningful facial expressions.

Clear easy-to-follow text.

Example of text:

'Once there was a little girl called Sophie, and she was having tea with her mummy in the kitchen.
Suddenly there was a ring at the door.

Sophie's mummy said,
"I wonder who that can be.
It can't be the milkman because he came this morning.
And it can't be the boy from the grocer because this isn't the day he comes.
And it can't be Daddy because he's got his key.

We'd better open the door and see."...'

On the doorstep is a big, furry, stripy tiger...who is terribly polite.
And as he asks so nicely...if he can have tea with Sophie and her mummy...the latter agrees.

So the tiger comes into the kitchen and sits down at the table...but he is a VERY hungry tiger...and a very thirsty one, too...as we turn the pages!

A repeat element on the quantity the friendly tiger eats promotes that all important eagerness for the younger listener to join in with, giving lots of scope for interaction.
on 24 June 2004
I have just read this book with my year 1 class (ages 5 and 6). They were very keen to share some of their responses on this website.
Reece wrote: This story is about Sophie and her Mummy. The book is excellent and I loved it. When you read it you will never believe how good it is. Children from 3 to 7 would enjoy it.
Yvonne wrote: This book is for children from 4 to 9. The illustrations are fantastic. The story is about a young girl, her mother and a tiger who comes to tea! I would recommend the book because the pictures are fantastic and colourful. Make sure you read it to the end because it is fantastic!
Kango wrote: I would recommend this story because the drawings of the tiger were very good. I loved the text because it was funny and exciting.
Isabelle wrote: This book has lots of little details in the pictures. I liked the part where the tiger comes into the house. It's a little bit scary!
However Tibo felt that the dramatic potential of the story wasn't fully realised. He wrote: I recommend this book because of the good pictures but I expected a tiger would make the story a little more adventurous.
on 14 July 2007
I loved this book as a child. I remember having it read to me at school when I was very young, so it was one of the first on my list to buy when I had children. They love it too! The story is simple. A tiger turns up unexpectedly at the door and eats Sophie and her mummy out of house and home! Daddy comes home, there is no tea so they go to a cafe and have sausages. A lovely length for a bedtime story. Recommended!
on 15 June 2006
Imagine one day having afternoon tea with mummy (you are 3-7) and there's a knock at the door. Who could it be???? yes its a Tiger! and a very friendly tiger who is very hungry and eats and drinks everything in the house.

What do you do now? how will you feed Daddy when he comes home from work?

Daddy comes home to the story and decides to take you to a cafe for tea! how wonderful and the next day you go shopping to replace all the food and drink, what do you buy? A big can of Tiger Food thats what.

I read this book over and over when I was a child and loved it. I came across it a couple of years ago and bought it for my daughter, then aged 2. Who has come to love it as much as I did.

She does tell everyone though, that its my favourite book.........
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 31 December 2015
Storyline -
A story of Sophie and her extraordinary tea-time guest. The doorbell rings just as Sophie and her mum are sitting down to tea. Who could it possibly be? What they certainly don't expect to see at the door is a big furry, stripy tiger!

Early Years Teachers-
This book proved to be an invaluable resource on my teaching placements - much loved by myself at a young age and now by children in my care. As with this well respected and loved children's author, Judith Kerr, this is a great book with a good story line. It is so versatile and can be enjoyed by many ages. It is really easy to engage with as there are so many possible themes in the story which can be explored to a suitable depth dependent on the children's ages.

Themes: Foods, manners, animals, caring, self care.

Activity ideas:
- Children could have their own tea party for the tiger
- The children can make cakes for real or just using dried pasta, rice etc for a tea party with the tiger
- The children could write letters to tiger, inviting him for tea
- Its perfect for reading aloud, or for small children to read to themselves.

Would recommend to any early years teacher or parent.
on 7 May 2016
I love children’s books and can’t resist picking up books such as this which I remember from my own childhood.

The story follows a little girl Sophie and her mum and what happens when a tiger turns up for tea. My 2 year old enjoys this book – in fact we read it tonight at bedtime and the moment we finished she shouted ‘Again, Again!’ which I would say means it has her seal of approval.

The illustrations are lovely, my daughter loves pointing out all the different foods on the table and giggles at the naughty tiger. For me, I just love the retro kitchen which reminds me of my Nanna’s house when I was a child!

This is truly a classic children’s story and one I would very much recommend.