Customer reviews

on 17 March 2015
I wanted to read one book about these Ugandan children and selected this one pretty much at random - I just went down the Amazon list, reading the reviews. I then read it while I was in Uganda and, as a result, went specifically to Gulu, drank tea at Franklin's and met Saverino. I enjoyed this book from page 1 and WJ is now an author I will look out for in the future. I found the book gripping and I believe the details are accurate. I recommend it to anyone - especially if you are going to Gulu.
on 1 June 2012
I'm very interested how Polish journalists manage to bring such life, insight and memorability to their vivid pictures and African reportage. Wojciech Jagielski, the correspondent of Poland's leading Gazeta Wyborcza from 1991 to 2012, gives such a clear and imaginative image of the horror of an African bush war, particularly this atrocious conflict that ravages parts of Uganda and engrains long scars into the human psyche of the people there. Wojciech is also a correspondent for BBC and Le Monde, but it is in book form that he can draw you most clearly into the brooding landscape and mentalities of the people - especially the children - involved. His mentor and friend, Ryszard Kapuscinski, used to write the most memorable stories of Africa and his vivid images of the Angolan war haunted me as I travelled similar routes in 1990 during that war. I have not yet been to this part of Uganda but I am sure that Wojciech does him proud. The English translation by Antonia Lloyd-Jones also makes this book a great and fast-moving read, putting the scenes in front of your eyes as vividly as if you are there in person. It lives up to the positive professional reviews and a great buy.
on 20 April 2013
This is a very well written book. It brings Africa alive, as if you were there. I was gripped and read it in 2 days. The writer is unpretentious with fantastic powers of description. The book is sympathetic and covers all aspects of the conflict. He must surely be one of the best writers of this generation. I really hope more people read this book covering a very important and tragic crisis. Excellent.
on 15 June 2014
Very moving. Gives historical perspective, powerful, upsetting, yet such a beautiful country. Recommended read, an accessible read a must read.
on 13 February 2015
Efficient & speedy service.Very pleased. C J H
on 21 November 2015
this is still being read
on 30 May 2015