Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

Colour: Black|Change

VINE VOICEon 1 October 2012
Colour: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If, like me, you look at the bewildering array of kitchenware that is on the market and think that much of it is stuff that you will never want or need, then hold on for one moment-this little device is actually well worth having. There are a number of reasons for such a strong recommendation. The first is that it is very easy to use-simply place on the tin, press a button to start it and then to stop it, lift off the tin and that literally is all there is to it. Importantly, the can is opened from the inside which means you have no razor sharp edge to slice your fingers on. Two other major advantages are the size (just a few inches) and the fact that it runs on batteries so is therefore ideal to take on a camping or self catering holiday. It looks like it could deal with all tins over about 2 inches or so in diameter. However, for me the people who will really love this device are older or disabled people with limited dexterity in the fingers-the button action device ensures there is no fiddly work to do- for such people this would be a fantastic gift. In short, a well designed and really useful product that will justify the price tag over time.
44 Comments| 150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 24 September 2012
Colour: White|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I sometimes have difficulty using a conventional can opener because of neurological problems, so I need to used an automatic can opener.

I got this Culinare 2012 One Touch Can Opener as a smaller lighter replacement for Culinare One Touch Automatic Can Opener.

The first can that I tried it on was a steel soup can from a supermarket. This new device failed dismally. It took a few little nibbles out of the edge of the can, but failed to open it. I finally resorted to the older bulkier model which had no trouble.

Maybe the Culinare 2012 One Touch Can Opener will work on lighter weight metal, but I actually need a can opener more for the heavier metal.

What good is a can opener that can't open all cans?
66 Comments| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 October 2012
This thing is awful.
It's too loud, it doesn't cut through thick tins, and the "one touch" button has a mind of it's own. ie. sometimes stops halfway through, sometimes not at all.

Honestly, the faff just isn't worth the effort.
on 15 May 2013
I needed an electrical tin opener because I started to find it difficult with the manual one I have, I was sceptical after reading some of the negative reviews but decided to purchase this on the positive reviews. I read and followed the instructions and have no problems so far. It's one touch as it says and I find this so easy to use no more discomfort using my old tin opener
on 16 March 2014
Absolute rubbish - I have had this for two months now and not opened a single can successfully yet. Desperately looking for where I need to return this as I no longer have the packaging!

I previously had a culinare magican that worked perfectly and after many years service it is now broken so I decided to upgrade to the one touch - really has been disappointing, as other revieweers have said, it just nibbles bits out of the top and then leaves you in a worse position with a dangerously sharp can that leaks but won't open!!
Colour: White|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This was a surprisingly difficult product to review, given that - I would guess - its primary user-base would be people who have difficulties in using a conventional opener.
First off, I have to state that the device does work, it has opened the fair number and variety of cans I have set it, so I have no quibble with its effectiveness.
Where it does fall down for me is in the rather fiddly way the opener has to be set on the rim of the can - even having used it over a dozen times now it doesn't locate naturally, the one-touch button doesn't always engage the motor first time and the cutting tool does leave a sharp edge, I have the cut to prove it. I was bemused by the way the device hobbles its way around the rim and noticed the oddly uneven shape it leaves on the can edge afterwards; it also tends to remove a thin ribbon of the paper label with it. Then, with the lid still held on the revolving mechanism the button has to be pressed again to reverse and release the lid, which still has the potential to cut yourself on...

If it is used with due care, it seems to open most cans, but at its current price and with the drawbacks I`ve listed above, I have difficulty recommending this device outright; its really only worth having if you can`t use a conventional opener.
Colour: White|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I thought this would be great, the easy opening of cans and safe disposal of lids and had high hopes for it.

However, the first time I tried it it missed the can, so tried it again and it seemed like it was struggling with a tin of pineapples. It started and seemed to be falling off, then started cutting again making a very strange straining noise, before continuing to open the can. This took longer than the standard can opener that I had been using. The lid came off easy and the magnet held it in place to take it to the bin. You have to press the button to start the cutting and press it again to stop.

The biggest drawback and the killer for me was that the top of the can was razor sharp. There was no way I was going to wash the empty can to recycle it, as I would have been cut to ribbons. The standard top down cuts through the top, leaving the rounded edge intact. This cuts below the rounded edge making it sharp and dangerous to touch. If I can't recycle the empty tins and is taking longer to use, what is the point.

If they re-designed it to cut through the top rather than cut the top off, then it would be worthwhile, but as it stands, I this the design flaw means that I cannot recommend this opener.
VINE VOICEon 10 October 2012
Colour: White|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a great can opener that is so useful and convenient to use for anyone, elderly people included. You just press the button and the can is opened for you, with a magnetic thing at the bottom that lift the lid off for you.

You can use it for cans with a diameter above 52mm, this is specified in the description of the item so if your can is smaller than that, then obviously it is not going to work. Also specified in the description is that it may not work for cans with heavy seams, reamless cans or cans with odd shapes. This means that you cannot use this can opener as your only can opener at home.

Overall, I am very happy with this can opener and highly recommend it as an extra can opener at home.
11 Comment| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 September 2013
Does it easily as it says on the packet it came in. I'd have personally preferred the unit to stop itself when the top is cut but that is just being picky. Other than that, a really good wee unit.
on 9 May 2014
I bought for my daughter who requires a can opener that can be operated with one hand. When I tried it out it removed the lid but would not stop or release the lid. I tried 3 times and cut myself removing the lid from the still going opener with 2 hands. I don't normallt bother with reviews but this should be recalled.