Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.49

What a joyful debut! Niki & The Dove hail from Sweden. Malin Dahlstrom
sings, Gustaf Karlof plays keyboards and Magnus Boqvist manages percussion.
Their brand of ebullient electro-pop is strong on melody and addictively
rhythmic but it is the unpredictable nature of their song structures which
delights above all. There's a delicious sonic surprise waiting around every
corner and listening to it makes you feel good which can't be a bad thing
in these dark, wet, should-be-summer days (will it ever stop raining!)

Things kick off to a storming start with the wonderful 'Tomorrow', a song
full of Japanese-tinged synth decorations and an explosive chorus which
lights up the sky with a firework display of deft vocal harmonies (comparisons
with Kate Bush are not unwarranted) and Ms Dahlstrom's passionate central
performance. The dance-friendly beats of 'The Drummer' makes for another
exhilarating roller-coaster ride of richly inventive musical mayhem; densely-
structured but tight as a bow string. 'Last Night' is a gentler affair, full
of light and shadow and poignant sentiment. For my money, however, things
don't get much better that the delightful duck and dive of 'Love To The Test',
a composition which, with a knowing nod and wink to the eighties, raises the
roof with its gloriously uplifting refrain. A desert island disc if ever there was!
(Crikey, 'DJ Ease My Mind' even gives Florence Welch a run for her money!)

Essential.
on 21 May 2012
Came across this band when I read The Sound of 2012, so checked them out on youtube. I'm hardly impulsive when it comes to shopping but after listening to their sampler & liking 3 tracks (my golden rule when purchasing CD), I decided to buy the CD. The band sounds like a mix of Cyndi Lauper, Florence + The Machine & Goldfrapp. Love the tracks especially 'The Drummer', 'DJ Ease My Mind', 'Under the Bridge' & 'Tomorrow'. Other songs are all right, perhaps I will grow to like them. Perfect for summer!
VINE VOICEon 27 November 2012
Amazon is fast becoming my number one source of finding new music (since Radio 1 no longer wants my age group and I don't like the R2 output). The ability for Amazon to point me at some music that is both my taste and actually good is actually good is becoming very hand!

I think it was Passive Me, Aggressive You that lead me to being recommended Instinct. And sure enough the few reviews that there were (I bought this in the summer(?)), weren't wrong - Instinct is a marvel. More of the 80's electro that's appearing recently from foreign lands. New Zealand, Iceland and Swedes are all having a go - and are all being very successful too.

Early Madge, The Lost Boys (movie) and Cyndi Lauper all spring to mind for sound-a-likes for the first half then the second half modernises the sound somewhat. It could quite easily be soundtrack and I can see myself hearing a track in a pub quiz in years to come, thinking 'what movie was this in?'. But what am I saying? Unfortunately, I fear that gems like Instinct don't get the recognition they deserve and the chances of a track being in a pub quiz (outside of Sweden) is pretty remote.

All I can suggest is, as the other reviewers do, give it a chance and there's a very good chance you'll love it.
on 31 January 2014
Get this at a great price while you can, I got a feeling these guys are destined for big things, this will be a future classic. It has the most amazing sounds and arrangements. Will be hard to find on vinyl in a couple of years...just saying.
on 6 February 2014
Excellent cd for a person who likes electronica a classic timeless album, love it. Would recommend a good interesting listen.
on 27 October 2013
Catchy, quirky, tribal infused electro-pop, inspired by the likes of Kate Bush and Bat for Lashes. A great album to dance to!
on 18 February 2015
Brilliantly colourful album! Love this, instantly became one of my favourites.
on 16 December 2014
A favourite
on 6 September 2012
A good CD. Just when you think you have this music nailed they throw a curved ball. A couple of week tracks though. Overall you end up liking the CD but not completely love it. Definitely worth buying.
on 26 May 2012
I havn't actually purchased this item yet but from what I have heard already on the radio and on you tube this album sounds amazing!
Favourite tracks have too be The Drummer, DJ Ease my Mind and The Fox. I also love the tribe like feel of gentle roar and the powerful soaring chorus of tomorrow.