on 12 September 2014
Following an upgrade from an i5 2500k I can't say that any significant performance increase during normal daily tasks is discernible. However, that is to be expected as I don't perform too many tasks that really stretch the CPU's ability. Windows experience index increased from 7.5 to 7.7; according to performance charts based on calculation rates, this ostensibly minor difference actually translates into a speed increase of around 30%, so do take Microsoft's arbitrary grading system with a pinch of salt.

Next day delivery was provided by Amazon despite having been purchased at around 6pm, so I cannot fault the service.

4/5 due to value from Intel - could be better in my humble opinion. Also when I am spending over £200 on a processor, it might be nice to have packaging befitting the price as it is rather drab and the same as much cheaper models.
on 23 November 2013
Recently decided to build my first computer, and after of a couple of weeks or so of comparing parts I decided to splash out for the Core I7 3770K. after a month of using the CPU, I can safely say that I'm not disappointed, a vast step up from my previous computer core - core 2 duo at 2.4 GHz which was no sloth. You pay for a High end processor for that extra performance, and that's exactly what you get! It's able to perform most the tasks that I throw at it with ease. I mainly use my computer for Gaming, and to run the next gen games. e.g Battlefield 4, Assassins creed: Black Flag and also games like Bioshock Infinite. Works like a charm. But it also handles everyday tasks like Watching videos, Word processing, and just navigating through folders fluently. Great for General purpose. What more can I say, Just a great processor. Would definitely recommend.
on 5 May 2017
It's 2017 and this is still killing games
on 8 January 2016
PERFECT for overclocking at 45 GHZ
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 October 2012
Bought this CPU fro a PC build, and it has been going strong and very efficiently.
The Ivy Bridge technology does get quite hot though, so do bare that in mind, in relation to CPU core temperatures.
on 24 May 2017
the best CPU I had for a very long time.
on 7 January 2015
What can i say its the best :) im a gamer :)
on 27 March 2013
Please let me start by point out I do some intense gaming and intense video editing as well as he light load stuff like word documents ect for college,

As a computer student, I knew what I was going to need to give me the 'horse power' in all round applications. And the I7 3770K is great for this. Whilst only having 4 physical cores, it can be hyper-threaded into 8 cores. I had previously read that this wasnt as good as an 8 physical cored processor -as your probably have guessed, but I went ahead with my purchase.

Instillation was relatively simple, but I was still neverous at placing the brackets back over - I didint want to damage a pin on a £250 CPU. But everything installed great! Please note, this does require 2x 6 pin power for the PSU.

After instillation I done what any other self confessed geek would do; I jumped straight into my benchmark software. Firstly, I tried the Intel Burn Test -which isn't actually made by intel. This little piece of software seen all 8 threads jump up to 100% load and reached around 68 Degrees Celsius. On a after market Corsair H60 Cooler.

I then used 3D Mark 11 and Vantage, unfortunately I do not have these results to share but the end result wasn't stunning but it was highly respectable.

But I guess it more of a work load based thing. So I opened up my Sony Vegas Pro 12 (64 Bit) and started doing some video editing. The results were brillant! I edit in 1920x1080p full HD and the CPU was utilizing all threads for the work @ around 50-60%. I then rendered the video and the cores reached the expect 60-80% work load and raised to 50 Degrees Celsius. My 10 minute video was done in 7 minutes! I was astonished! I was previously using an AM3 AMD Phenom x4 955 BE and that took up to and hour for a similar piece!

But for the gamers out there, I highly recommend this! It will be coming down in price and games will start to use those all importent threads within the next couple of years. Especially since the next gen consoles have up to 8 cores! You're really wanting a system that will run games brillantly. As I said, video editing wise this is dandy but in-games it's actually great! I play things like Shogun 2 and the recent Total War installments and the thing runs them great - I dont have any stats sorry,but It copes with any issues in 4v4 land battles at 50-60 FPS. Please note, I use a dedicated video card (GTX 570 2.5 GB).

Overall,I love this CPU! It idles at around 30 Degrees for me and is clocked perfectly-I haven't tried O.C yet. But Im confident in doing so in the future. If you do alot like the things above, Get this! You'll not regret it!

My Specs:
Mo/Bo: ASUS Maximus V Gene
RAM: 8 GB : 1333 Mhz
GPU: EVGA GTX 570 HD 2.5 GB
CPU: I7 3770K @ 3.5 Ghz
PSU: X-Case 900 Watt
Case: X-Case S1
on 1 May 2012
As of 04/29/2012, this is the current top-end "premium" tier Intel chip - about 5-10% faster than the i7-2700K which it replaces. The current top-end "extreme" tier is and will remain the six core i7-3960X until the second half of 2013, when the Ivy Bridge-E is released.

It overclocks nearly as high as Sandy Bridge and heats up more with voltage. This means 4.4 to 4.7 GHz will be around the limit on air. Note that if you do not plan to overclock and/or intend to run virtual machines, the plain 3770 is the cheaper and better choice as it has Intel SIPP, vPro, VT-d and TXT enabled (the K has these disabled).

At its official retail price, three hundred and thirty two dollars, it is currently one of the best values for a high performance chip in the market. The next steps up are 2-3 times this price. At time of writing (the morning of release), it is marked up 5% above retail and has the wrong list price.

The GPU performance compared to the 2700K is about 50% faster, which is equivalent to a $40-60 video card. This is enough to play most games at mediocre quality with a mediocre framerate or run Quick Sync very fast (Intel's custom medium-quality h264 encoder; about 300 frames per second on 1080p video).

If you do not have much use for the GPU, most i5 and i7 owners will have a hard time justifying the Ivy Bridge upgrade. All other slower chips will see a substantial improvement. Another good value is the Ivy i5 3570K which is something like 0-15% slower and 30% cheaper.

The new motherboard lineup consists of the Z77, Z75, H77, Q77, Q75 and B75 chipsets. The major improvements over the Sandy Bridge generation is native USB 3.0 support, PCIe 3.0 (with Ivy chips only) and SSD-HDD hybrid caching. Z/H/X all have CPU overclocking. The 77s have the SSD caching. Most owners of this chip will probably get a Z77 which is feature rich and nearly the same price (about ninety dollars for the cheapest board currently).

[Sources: AnandTech, TomsHardware, overclock.net; see comments for some minor extra detail]
77 Comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 July 2012
The Intel i7 3770K is a fantastic processor, I wanted to build a workstation PC for 3D graphics, but I couldn't afford a proper Intel Xeon CPU, so I opted for this instead. I was a little apprehensive about using an i7 instead of a Xeon for professional level work, but so far I have been pleasantly surprised. Admittedly it isn't as fast as a Xeon, it was never going to be, but its not as far off as I had first thought.

I haven't tried overclocking this yet, but it idles at 1600mhz for most tasks, it only every changes when I start animating or modelling in 3D applications. The Intel Turbo Boost feature confuses me slightly, the CPU never seems to run at its described 3.5ghz, always shooting up to its 'Turbo Boost' levels of 3.9ghz, which I thought would have been reserved for only the most intense of operations.

Ultimately, you can't go far wrong with this CPU, unless you work for Pixar and need the most powerful machine known to man, this will be more than good enough for anybody's needs, especially if you don't want to fork out for the i7 extreme or Xeon CPU's.
22 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse