on 26 July 2013
Had this for over a year now and its still destroying anything i throw at it, its an easy OC to 4.6Ghz and runs stable and cool on air, people may wince at temps over 60degrees when benchmarking which is higher than sandy go to but you have to remember that the TJ Max on this chip is over 115 degrees which gives plenty of headroom even if your up to 80 in benchmarking. Remember that bencharking will provide the hottest temps you will ever see as it runs your chip at 100%, even the most demmanding aplications will only hit this for a few secconds here and there as they are limited by other factors.

If your not going to overclock don't buy the K version and dont waste money on a Z77/Z68 mobo when a H67/61 will give you all the features bar overclocking and save you a fair few quid.
on 11 August 2012
I got this chip along with a wartercooling system and an ASUS sabertooth z77 for my new computer,
was very easy to install, no problems found yet, over clocked to 4.5GHz and still running stably at low temps
might see if I can make it go higher in the future, but for the moment works well for everything I use my pc for... games.. work.. programming etc.
Great buy

only complaint I can find is that the packaging was slightly damaged in transport, but that's not really an issue as the product was perfectly fine and I didn't really expect to get perfect packaging with the super saver
on 7 September 2013
This processor is simply beasty! It's currently in my new Bitfenix Prodigy M-ITX build and it functions like a dream. I use my system for gaming and video editing as I am a proud member of the YouTube community. I can be rendering a video in Sony Movie Studio Platinum 11 Suite, playing Minecraft and recording it at the same time in 1080p without frame drops. Videos also render really quick, being almost twice as fast as real time, I can render a video that is 50 minutes long and it will render within 30 minutes. What more could you ask for?

I am thinking of doing a 4GHz overclock soon as I have used the Zalman CNPS9900 Max CPU cooler in my build instead of the stock one. Currently it is operating at stock clocks and after running Prime 95 for 30 minutes it only reached a maximum of 62 Celsius. Most of the time though it stays around 55 Celsius while rendering a video. Prime 95 is good for testing the temperatures although these results are quite synthetic since the CPU will never reach 100% usage unless your running a program like Folding At Home.

All in all, I'm glad I went for the i7 over the i5. That's up to you to decide though depending on what sort of PC you would want. If you're only gaming on the system, get the i5. The i7's Hyper-threading on the i7 makes hardily any difference, and you're saving about £80. Meanwhile, if you're recording, rendering and heavily multi-tasking go for the i7. It was the best ever decision I've made.

This CPU will not disappoint you in any way.

Also, check out my YouTube channel if you like: Warrenaterz
on 28 October 2012
Overclocked it to 4.3Ghz and got it stable. I think its enough for me at the moment.
Gigabyte Sniper M3 motherboard
Settings: automatic voltage
CPU cooler Noctua NH-D14 does a job keeping temps around 65 degrees C running CPU stress software Prime95 just about 40mins.
I should mention I have a decent case Corsair 500R which helps to cool the system
Performance - no complains.
Graphics card - Gigabyte GeForce GTX-580 3GB
Overclocking CPU significantly gives more FPS when gaming but not dramatically.
The difference could feel playing Crysis 2 (updated with improved graphics) at the maximum graphics settings Ultra High.
Before overclocking CPU, Crysis 2 was hardly playable at Ultra High settings. Now is much better but still in some stages I get picture lags so set up graphics at Very High and now everything goes smooth.
Anyway, graphics card does the hardest job if you play such heavy games and if you really want to get a performance you should invest in GPU as well.
No matter how good 3770K is, but GPU must be even better otherwise you waste your money.
Overall system runs really fast. SSD and decent RAM is a "must have" in such systems.
If have funds for a good system, then go for it.
on 23 January 2014
This Ivy Bridge Core i7 is a superb processor with incredible performance, it will be amongst the top CPUs in any benchmark, I got mine to replace my Ivy Bridge i5 3550 when I upgraded my gaming PC. The i7 is not really that necessary for a gaming machines and the performance increase from my previous CPU is tiny, 5-10 FPS at the very best usually. I went for this i7 to give a measure of future proofing though, this CPU should be more than enough to handle whatever game is thrown at it over the next few years.

For normal desktop tasks users will appreciate the improvements in the HD graphics 4000 on board graphics, without a discrete GPU this will play HD videos with ease and handle any and all browser, social media and undemanding indie games. It will even play some AAA and more demanding 3D games at low and medium settings, just do not expect it to knock your socks off.

For tasks like video encoding this i7 has a noticeable performance advantage over the Sandy Bridge 2600K and the Ivy Bridge 3570K, in summery if you want/need an Intel Ivy Bridge chip this is everything you could ask for.
on 3 August 2013
I use this for commercial C++ devel at work. Heavy build loads, heavy data loads during unit / functional / system testing.
Perfectly adequate for a cruncher. It's nice putting the -j7 on the make command. Saves time.
I now have one at home in a nice new Intel z77 board. Runs at 4.2 using a Zalman cooling fan. All good. Amazing in fact.
on 28 January 2016
This is now very outdated, which is to be expected of course with these kind of things.

However, I am more than satisfied, this is part of a build I put together about in about 2012 with an ASUS sabertooth motherboard and 8gb ram and the whole system still runs like lightning, I don't see myself needing to upgrade any time in the near future either but I dont see games etc.. becoming much more hardware hungry. I play lots of MMORPG and other online multiplayer games and do some occasional basic video editing (Have asus nvidia gtx 670 GPU).

Seriously though, combine this with the biggest ssd you can afford. I struggle for space on my 240gb ssd because once you go ssd hdd are just a pain in the butt slow.

Cant complain about this product for my fairly general requirements.
on 26 January 2014
Like all i7's the performance is unbelievably fast. I use it for Gaming, Video Editing, Rendering and Transcoding. The latter is REALLY CPU Intensive. and the performance is just a milestone away from my previous CPU (A 2nd Gen i5). I also prefer SandyBridge/IvyBridge to Haswell because ALL Haswell CPU's run stupidly hot. To the point where it is impossible to even get adequate temperatures with the stock cooler. Speaking of cooling I am cooling this with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and usually run between 30 to 50 C. Which is really cool. This processor is faultless.

EDIT: I am now using a Corsair H100i and the temperatures are even better. I wrote that Haswell chips run at high temperatures, this is true but please note that Intel's new Haswell Refresh chips do not suffer this issue.
on 24 September 2012
Intel do have it sorted - this processor works very well and is very quick - it includes a cooler fan although I used an Artic cooler, the stock one is pretty good although pretty stiff to put on the mother board - support the board well!
on 28 January 2014
I probably don't need such a fast CPU but it's nice to know I can run, well - everything! And Windows never seems to bog down no matter what I'm doing or how many things I have open (although that of course is also due to having 8GB RAM)

What was most surprising about this processor was the amazing temperatures. Even on the stock fan it was rarely getting very hot. With a Hyper 412S I can run it at low RPM even when overclocked (and fully stable) at 4.5ghz. to me that is incredible!

Worth the money and with a CPU Passmark in excess of 10,000 it will be a few years till the budget chips can come anywhere close to this one - a worthwhile investment for the all-round power user.