on 28 May 2018
I once had a friend at college who lived godlessly and just as any other young atheist would live, he drank, partied and smoked.
Yet when we discussed eternity and the need for preparation for judgement, to my astonishment, he said he trusted Christ had died for him, and on account of his cross he need fear no wrath.
Justification is joined at the hip with sanctification, the former without works the latter transforms our works. Saving faith alone without works brings the New Birth and a deliverance from sin.
Deliverance from sin brings a hearty embrace and delight in the Law as a rule of life (1 Jn. 2.3-4).
My friend would have loved this book, he would have found no challenge in it, when he desperately needed to be warned of his danger (Eph. 5.6).
The author is letting his antinomianism slip.
I fear the lengthy favourable comparison between Madonna, who has openly communed with witches, and championed new milestones in sensual sin, and the Apostle Paul serves only to discredit the author further.
on 20 April 2014
Keller's "book" The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness is a short, 3 chapter work looking at what it means to have real freedom in Christ.

The first chapter lays out our issue: We think too much about our own self-esteem - too much and we're selfish or proud, too little and we're miserable.
The second chapter lays out a Christian response.
The third chapter actually tells you how to have that freedom. Essentially it boils down to CS Lewis' suggestion that self-forgetfulness is not thinking less of ourselves (self-deprecation) but thinking of ourselves less. Instead, we should be thinking more of Christ. Its not about our self-esteem, but how much do we esteem Him.

Some issues though:
The whole work reads as a good published sermon. This isn't a bad thing, but he often refers to verses, yet the passage he's preaching from (contained at the front) doesn't have verse numbers. Without a Bible handy, its sometimes hard to follow.

Secondly, its almost like he spends too much time building up to the solution of "How might I achieve such self-forgetfulness?". Its a good book, but I wish he'd have gotten to this part sooner and expanded it, rather than spend so much time on the first 2 chapters. I was reading them thinking "Yep, gotya, I agree... now what?".
5 people found this helpful
on 7 June 2017
First, I wouldn't really call this a book because it's so short (the main content is only 46 pages in large print, and the book is smaller than your average book). I would say this is more of a pamphlet than a book.

Nonetheless, I would definitely reccomend this 'book' to those who are struggling with pride or low self esteem, as well as those who want to know more about what it's like to truly be humble in the Biblical way. Timothy Keller provides great insight into how the Bible deals with such issues.

The only reason why I won't give this a 5 star rating is because I feel like the book could have been much longer so that Timothy Keller could have elaborated on his main points in more detail. I watch a lot of Keller's sermons, and I feel like the content of this book mirrored one of the sermons I watched, and funnily enough, Keller went into much more detail about the topics in the sermon compared to this book!

Yet despite that, I would still reccomend this book. Timothy Keller is one of my favourite pastors/authors, he has so much wisdom and his take on certain passages of scripture is so refreshing. He also provides ways to for practical application which is so crucial for the Christian walk.

So to sum up, this book is really short and not much detailed (which is a great shame). But I still reccomend it because it provides great insight to the topic which can be of great help to those struggling with pride and low self esteem.
on 19 September 2017
Great and quick read. Challenged to live a life of self-abandonment and self-forgetfulness. I realised through this book that the ego is insatiable and that the greatest decision one can make is to disconnect their identity from their failings and or achievements. My Favourite quote (paraphrased), 'anything that is over inflated is at imminent danger of being deflated'. We all need to surrender our egos and live the fully satisfied life God intended for us.
on 5 April 2014
I've been pondering issues of humility versus pride; humility or self-abasement ... how to remain humble yet confident and bold ... I've been studying the humility of Jesus - reading Andrew Murray (which I highly recommend!) - mulling things over; and then - quite by chance (NOT!) I came across this short book by Timothy Keller. He uses 1 Corinthians 3: 21 - 4:7 as a foundation and proceeds to explain the 'Freedom of Self Forgetfulness' logically and in such a way that my ponderings and mullings settled into a rational understanding with a huge sigh of relief. Basically, I see it this way: the opinions of others concerning me really do not matter to me. My own opinion of me doesn't matter to me; it's God's opinion (or verdict) of me that matters, and His only. And because I believe and accept that Jesus sacrificed Himself for me, that verdict is 'not guilty', and 'accepted' and 'beloved'. I don't have to concern myself with myself anymore - I can trust all that to Him - and in this, I will stop fretting and fussing over my roller-coaster successes and failures, popularity or isolation, respect or ridicule - and be able to focus my attention on Him and on others. FREEDOM INDEED.
on 5 March 2015
I would definitely recommend this book to everyone who wants to learn how to live a life that doesn't revolve around our own thoughts about ourselves or others thoughts about ourselves.
It's short and sweet enough to get straight to the point whilst being extremely helpful in understanding what Paul is trying to tell us. It is definitely life changing and I hope that I am able to put it into action in my own life.
Read this book if you want your life to be changed as well. It is definitely worth it and don't worry, he gives you the steps too.
on 22 January 2016
Probably the shortest book I've ever read on the subject. It's really the quickest and most effective way to tell you and succesfully make you realize that you're not the centre of the world... what???!!! Am I really not??!! All this time I've been wasting my energy maintaining that idea!... you should read this, whoever you are and whatever you believe about God
on 17 February 2013
So much Christianity nowadays is all about 'me'. This book helps us to become free to be who we are in God's eyes. It helps to free us from our past - our sins and our being sinned against - so we can move forward and live now.
7 people found this helpful
on 28 June 2013
One word from the accuser or often last Sunday’s sermon and we rush off to jump through cultural/self imposed expectation hoops and keep the plates spinning.

Why do we do it? Did God really say? Is it to do with our own identity?

Timothy Keller in ‘The Freedom of Self Forgetfulness’, sets out his theme and stays focused, without 'padding' it out with side issues.

Forget the latest spiritual program or fad. This book gets to the real issue that we can easily treat as a spiritual gift, whereas, it is sucking the life out of so many Christians.

I appreciate Timothy Keller's style in that the book is not littered with 'out of context' 'proof texts'.
on 8 October 2015
What a very helpful and revolutionary wee book!! It will certainly take a bit of getting my head around its content and I will definitely need to reread it a number if times. Excellent book!