on 26 August 2016
I bought this book to inspire my other half and ended up reading it myself. It is very motivational, and although very few of the examples were $100 startups, it does show you how you can get off the ground with very little. I would recommend it to anyone with an entrepreneurial mind or as a gift. However, it is not a prescriptive book that shows you step-by-step how to build a $100 startup.
on 22 October 2017
In between the stories of the many types of people who went from zero to hero with their startups, there's very little substance. Each story seems to fit a different personality, which eventually resembles a reader of the book and makes them say "That could be me". I couldn't help notice this after the second chapter and it kinda put a downer on the book after it. A bit like watching friends on tv and noticing the fake laughter in the background. Flicking through the book it felt like I've read it all before in more depth elsewhere, "The 4 Hour Workweek", "The Lean Startup" some Tony Robbins stuff. A grand read for the motivated newcomer, but come back in a year and tell me how the startup went.
on 21 August 2017
Brought Chris's book way back in 2012!! Apologise for the late review --- but couldn't resist writing one -- now!!

This is my first ever type of "StartUp" book -- read!! And I thoroughly enjoyed it!!
I personally found Chris Guillebeau's -- "The $100 Startup" a very thrilling and inspirational read!! And I would highly recommend this book to ALL who are looking for deep inspiration -- or even to awaken their passion to start-up a business they would love!!
on 14 October 2014
I think it' a good read. The $100 Startup shows up what's possible - but Guillebeau doens't really go further than that. The book can motivate you, but if you really want to know how to approach launching a startup, "Lean Startup" by Eric Ries (for the theory) and "Running Lean" by Ash Maurya (for applying the principle) are obligatory.
It didn't leave a lasting impression, but it's a good read nonetheless so i go with four stars.
on 25 July 2013
The $100 Startup: Fire Your Boss, Do What You Love and Work Better to Live More
This is an inspirational read. I have a MBA, but have always struggled when thinking about setting up my own business, perhaps its a case of over-analysing and worrying too much about the practicalities, but there always seems to be a reason NOT to do it. This book is well written in a simple,straight forward style, and gives lots of examples of how individuals have gone their own way in life and made a success of there ideas. The whole tone of the book is upbeat and positive, and personally I found it opened my eyes to what might be possible. Very strongly recommended.
on 5 April 2018
Lots of pages to repeat the same thing. Case studies are superficial and simplifying. The book can be summarised in 1 sentence: start simple and early, keep it low budget/low risk, cash the money and go to the beach
on 23 August 2017
This book is packed full of great advice for the budding entrepreneur and has certainly motivated me to start doing something I've had on the back burner for ages. The section on marketing and promoting your product was very useful as was the countdown to launch section.
on 8 March 2014
I've been reading personal development books for years and always dreaming of escaping the rat race and having more freedom. This was a great book and really inspired me to take action. I'm meeting a web developer tomorrow to discuss my first idea and if for any reason this idea did not work out, I know now that I will simply move onto idea number 2. If you don't invest tons of money in an idea, if girl any reason it does not work out, you will learn from something from it. I have previously wasted £20k on one business and £3k on another business - I so wish I'd read this book 10 years ago.
on 1 February 2013
I bought this book last Christmas in order for me to get inspired by some of the stories in this book. I was amazed as to how well written and engaging those stories were. I really loved this book because at some point in your life a decision must be made and one of them is knowing whether you have the 'balls' to jump into the entrepreneur world. I've been thinking about business ideas for a long time now (I'm 27 y/o) but never really gone for one of them. I work in digital as a full-time job and I can see on a daily basis how people just come up with businesses online and (in most cases) make a living out of it.

This book really helped me go for it. It just makes you realize how simple an online business can be. It's the perfect platform to discover whether your idea will triumph or not in no time (and no cost). I believe there are many people in my situation, wanting to go solo but not having the time or motivation because of your full-time jobs. This book comes in handy because it aso demonstrates that you can start small, very small and just keep meeting people at events, go to online meetups, co-working and networking spaces.

I strongly recommend this book to anyone who desires to change his daily life at least a little bit for the better.

PS: I decided to buy this same book to my father because even though hes been there and done it, a little reminder of how the business world really starts of it's no harm to anyone. Moreover, he absolutely loved it!

Thanks,
Chris Guillebeau
on 5 September 2015
This is a really awesome book. It makes business seem very attainable from wherever you happen to be. I could relate to so many of the people who started small businesses with modest skills and little money and actually began to see in my own past some of the very same jump-off points where I could previously have started something. But I had grown distracted by and weary of reading other start-up stories where the small print always conveniently seemed to involve the entrepreneur being able to acquire £$10,000 from savings, family etc and admittedly, I let that give me pause, but I find this book a huge boost to my potential business self esteem. I really feel like it gives so many good examples of the building blocks of people's real world successes that I truly feel I can do the same now. It's a fixture in my handbag and I highly recommend it!!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse