on 17 October 2016
The Riley family flee Ireland to escape poverty for a war torn Liverpool. They get split up and the story is about three Riley families and how the past haunts them and how they deal with love and family.
I struggle to keep up with my own family never mind three separate families. I often got confused about who was who and which of the three families they were connected with.
For me the story was just mundane family sagas and did not really go anywhere. I could not even raise a smile for the intended humorous bits.
OK if you like family dramas but I just found it boring. Has to be said though the story was very well written. Just not for me
on 8 October 2014
Dealing with a network of Irish families in Liverpool this is another of Ruth Hamiltons very readable books in which she intertwined the lives and fates of members of a large clan who have, over the years, lost track of one another. If you have enjoyed other Ruth Hamilton stories then you will not be disappointed. For new readers, think Catherine Cookson set in Liverpool.
on 8 November 2014
I enjoyed this book and will certainly read more books from this Author who I came across relatively recently. I remember the era very well that this book in set in and found the characters as I remember the way folks were from those times of austerity just post WW2.

This was a good tale well written, I am looking forward to more from Maureen Lee.
on 1 October 2014
This is not my usual reading material, but I persevered and read this novel which is about Irish families who have come to Liverpool, in the hope of seeking work, most manage it they marry have children. It is certainly very colourful story line, and gives great pleasure to read. There is some intrigue also mystery along the way and thuggery.
on 16 December 2014
Great story set in Liverpool. One of women was subject to a beating from her husband and she was embarrassed, just goes to show how times have changed. Great book, would read more by this author.
on 21 October 2014
I almost gave up on this book after the first two chapters, but I,m so pleased I didn't. I loved the way Anna made her own words up. I'm sorry I couldn't give it the five stars it eventually deserved.
on 19 December 2014
Brilliantly written. The author makes you feel you are an integral part of each family. Their problems are easy to identify and empathize with. Look forward to reading more by this author.
on 18 February 2014
For anyone who enjoys the more historical novels of early last century, then I'm sure you will enjoy her books. I love Catherine Cookson and I'm now reading all of Ruth Hamilton's books, and I haven't found a bad one yet!
on 26 January 2016
Great read following a families ups and downs, but hard at first but soon becomes a great read, enjoy this great story.
on 3 January 2015
This is a good story to read. Joining the people in their times of adversity.
It is written in such a way that the reader feels they are part of what is going on
in the families. It's a book that is hard to put down once you get started.