on 5 February 2017
Wow this item has saved my ipad hundreads of drs best buy mam br
on 15 July 2013
I think the other review covers what a brilliant case this is. However if you are confused by the fitting instructions go to the otterbox website and look the case up, you will find a short video with fitting instructions.
I will say this, the Otterbox Defender 'Crevasse' case is a handsome beast in its grey and white livery. It feels tough too. However, its fitting and, if necessary removal, presents some unique problems which are not catered for in the assembly instructions which accompany it.

The Otterbox Defender 'Crevasse' is an armoured case for the iPad. It totally encloses the iPad 3/4 except for both cameras and the loudspeaker. The other iPad controls and ports are either covered by moulded, rubberised flaps or totally enclosed in rubber which manages to remain supple enough to permit control from the outside. Even the iPad's screen is covered by a strong, translucent 'protector' membrane to prevent marking of the screen. Covering the membrane is a second 'hard' cover to prevent impact damage. The outer cover, when inverted, doubles as a base plate. Inside the cover is a hinge mechanism which when erected permits the iPad to be angled wrt the horizontal to improve viewing. The hinge offers two viewing angles and the iPad may be mounted landscape or portrait against the hinge. The underside of the cover has 2 embedded metallic discs which operate the iPad's mechanical 'On/Off' switch. When the cover is removed the iPad is switched 'On' and the display appears.

It took me over an hour to fit the precision-built Otterbox Defender case because I had to remove it 2-1/2 times in order to make absolutely sure that all dust particles were removed from the void between the surface of the iPad's screen and the underside of the protector membrane. The bright retina display is not very forgiving towards trapped specks of dust because they show up dark against the bright screen and catch the eye. I spent many minutes simply polishing both surfaces to ensure that they were absolutely clean and free of dust specks. However, the very act of polishing seemed to draw dust onto both surfaces. A good antistatic cleaning liquid is highly recommended. I must have polished both surfaces at least a half dozen times before I was happy with the result. Cleanliness is everything because you don't want to have to take this case apart too many times, if at all, because there is a definite skill and a special technique required for disassembly. It is a very difficult task. Fortunately, assembly is not too difficult.

The weight of Otterbox Defender case is about the same, possibly a little lighter, than the iPad itself yet when the two are married the combination manages to feel as heavy as a stack of 4/5 iPads. I am sure this is just an illusion but I would not care to handhold my armoured iPad for any length of time. The weight gain is quite noticeable. I therefore prefer to use my encased iPad sitting on its base plate.

There are case fitting instructions but to my mind they are too brief. There is definitely a knack to fitting the case which you will learn if you have to take it apart again, as I did, twice because the void was not speck free. This is when you discover that there are no disassembly instructions. When I had to dissemble the Otterbox the first time it took me a good 15 - 20 minutes to separate the inner, 2-part, shell because I had to figure out what tools I would need for disassembly. I eventually settled upon a sharp knife and a small screwdriver as the least number of tools I would need. This requirement is not mentioned in the instructions. It also helps to have strong, nimble fingers.

Unbelievably, the Otterbox Defender is actually smaller in terms of length and width than the folding, silicon Apple sleeve that preceded it. However, the Otterbox Defender case is twice as thick as the silicon sleeve.

I have a number of accessories which I can plug into my iPad (earbuds, headphones, camera adapters, sync+charge cable) and they will all attach easily once the associated flap is pulled back. The flaps are not detachable. The rubber shroud that encases the shell has a quality, non-slip texture and it is this that absorbs most of the energy in an impact. The inner shell is extremely rigid and resists bending or twisting forces.

The iPad's 'click button', which I used to be able to operate with a stylus, is now permanently covered by a thick rubber cover which I have found no longer responds to my stylus pressure. I have to use light finger pressure to operate the button instead. The iPad's touchscreen feels no less sensitive behind the protector membrane but I have noticed that a little more force is required to operate the touchscreen. I have quickly adapted my stylus pressure accordingly.

Overall, the Otterbox Defender 'Crevasse' is a well designed, sturdy product that should protect the iPad from everyday accidents. However, whilst the size increase is slight, the weight increase is quite noticeable. The protective membrane does not diminish the quality of the retina display but trapped dust in the void can be irritating upon the eye. Absolute cleanliness is essential prior to fitting. Assembly is not to difficult but disassembly, if found necessary, presents a real challenge. There are cheaper protective cases for the iPad on the market but they are unlikely to be as well engineered or as tough as the Otterbox Defender 'Crevasse'.
on 4 October 2013
Couldn't give it five stars as I think the window through to the Apple logo is pathetic and absurd. But I did choose to buy it, didn't I! Haha otherwise it's good protection. I think I would prefer one with more rubber, but this is very good.
on 17 November 2013
Delivery took just under 4weeks.

Good case, sturdy an functional... However the speaker of my iPad is COMPLETELY unprotected... Not good for buyers looking to take their iPads into potentially dusty environment.

Great for around the home 'bumps' but I really feel they could've covered the speaker with a removable bung - like the rest of the ports have.

Updated 4 days after delivery *** I thought this case was alright, until today (case 4 days old) when I realised that the screen protector is the easiest thing to scratch! I can only assume that is fingernails when using the multi gesture as the iPad has not even left the house and has certainly had no 'traumas' ... Really disappointing tbh ***
on 23 July 2013
An excellent case fully protecting my IPAD 4. Easy to fit but do watch the video on the Otterbox website first. The case has an integral screen protector which doesn't seem to reduce the clarity of the retina display. It is worth using a decent cleaning cloth and anti-static spray before fitting the screen protector to avoid any bits of dust spoiling the display. Once fitted the weight of the IPAD does increase a fair bit but the clever outer cover provides several options to support the IPAD and relieve the strain.

All in all a great case if you need to protect your IPAD from rough handling and dirty environments when travelling.
on 6 October 2013
The only case for ipad.
This case will protect your very expensive purchase perfectly.
You could purposely chuck a roos the floor and no harm would be done.
Fantastic product
on 18 September 2013
This item is outstanding couldnt have asked for a better case but i had to cut down the rubbers for the volume and power button and now works and fits like a glove :)
on 29 January 2014
It's great it works well to protect you iPad only down side is the buttons then become fiddly to use and it now weighs a ton but I do trust it to keep my iPad save
on 28 September 2013
Trinity traders r the best company to buy they hav resplve the problem wid my case very quickly nd great customer service. Thank u trinity traders

See one answered question