Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 4 November 2012
This book haunted me. Syd Moore's book has brilliantly realised the sorry tales of so many women (particularly) living in Essex in the 1600's. A great tale of a journalist drawn so deeply into the tales of the Essex persecuted that she is haunted by the wronged souls, driving her into deeper and darker places and unexpected revelations.

This really moved me and I am keen to support any campaign to have a memorial to the innocent victims of the self appointed 'Witchfinder General', Matthew Hopkins.
on 8 November 2012
Iam half way through reading witch hunt and i have to say i am glued to it
i can not put it down it is very well writing and because it is based on true
events makes it all the more appealing , i would reccomend this book to anyone
it is everything you need in a book its sad,scary,but most of all it inform,s you
of our past and how cruel the human being can be to another human being all because
they are different
on 21 February 2014
To be honest, we bought this book as soon as we saw the cover - we love it. And a book about witches and ghosts is exactly our type of book. It's about Sadie who is writing a book about the Essex witch hunts and Matthew Hopkins, the infamous Witchfinder General. The more she delves into the witches, the spookier things become.

It has great information about the Essex witch hunts, which we found interesting, but at times, it felt the information had been shoehorned in, as though the author wanted us to know everything she did. There was a scene where Sadie describes an article she wrote about Essex girls which felt really unnecessary, as though the author was using it to change people attitudes against the stereotype.

Our main problem with the book was the constant prophesies of doom. One or two, if well done can add a certain amount of dread. But this book had 11. Most of them came in scenes which on the surface seemed like regular scenes, so it felt as though the author was waving a big neon sign proclaiming 'pay attention! This scene is vital! Remember it!'
We didn't connect with Sadie at all. We found her selfish, egotistical and at times bitchy towards people who weren't beautiful. She describes one woman as a 'radical, predatory lesbian' just because she put her hand on Sadie's knee and wore hippy style clothes! There's a scene where Sadie's clearly being threatened, yet is convinced the person is flirting!

The ending felt very much like a big coincidence, which was annoying. The book would've worked better without it.

The formatting in the book needs tweaking - sentences were cut off and put on the next line, which was irritating after a while.

On a positive note, the writing overall was good, there were some great descriptions and the ghostly scenes were spooky. One of our favourites involved lice in the shower. Another good one involved a boy near the train station. The bits about the witches were interesting - we learned some stuff we didn't know and we were intrigued by Sadie's research. So if you're interested in learning more about the Essex witches, this would be a good book to read.
on 11 November 2012
I liked this book but I had a few issues with it. There seem to be a few errors, I'm not the spelling/grammar police but it was more than a handful of mistakes.
I found a lot of the time I was willing the story on, it was dragging away, kept thinking I already know this come on. I didn't need everything explaining more than once, I found I was skim reading through some of it.
But overall I liked the story it was a fab idea, just needed tidying up I guess. Its not put me off reading more of her books, I mean you can't get everything perfect.
on 8 November 2012
This is an excellent read which weaves historic facts into a most fascinating tale. The reader is unsure who to believe in the beginning, but when finding out something her mother 'forgot' to tell her the reader must surely get firmly behind this bright journalist from Essex. The story kept me riveted as I just needed to know what was coming next.
on 8 November 2012
Not my usual sort of read, but I'm so glad I purchased this. I couldn't wait to find out what happens next. It has made me want to look into the history of witch hunts more!
on 8 November 2012
This book had me gripped as soon as I started to read it and could not stop until I finished, quite scary in parts but really well written and I loved the characters, so glad I bought it and will most definately read it again I enjoyed it so much, very interesting with some witch history in there too! Brilliant read!!!
on 8 November 2012
Really atmospheric, didn't help that I read it over Halloween. Takes you back into the history of the Essex witch hunts by Matthew Hopkins the self proclaimed Witch Finder General. Very well researched and makes you feel like you are really there.
on 17 October 2016
We will start with the most important factor first: if you’re looking for a truly terrifying horror book this is not what you’re looking for.

Whilst it appears to be a scary read such is not the case. There are supernatural elements to the book but not in a manner which will keep you up at night. Despite the fact that I was expecting more of a scary story than I was given I still enjoyed the book. I feel as though the last third was the best part of the book, however, with the first two thirds being a little bit slow in places – of course, that is just my opinion and I’m sure there will be people out there who will disagree with me.

Nevertheless, the storyline is one which keeps you interested throughout and leaves you wanting to read more and find out exactly how it ends. I will say, however, that I do wish that there hadn’t been quite so many references as to what was to come as I felt as though it would have been more of a surprise that way.

Still, it’s worth a read if you’re into the suspense filled books with a paranormal twist.
on 18 January 2013
Sadie Asquith is a freelance journalist, who has always had a strong interest in the witchcraft trials, so she decides to research and write a book all about the 16th Century witchcraft trials. Sadie is from and lives in Essex, so she is surprised to find that the number of people put to their death, or cruelly treated on account of suspicion that they were witches in Essex, is really high, and worth writing a book on.

During her research Sadie experiences strange events and happenings that she cannot explain. The more involved she gets into her research and the more closer to the truth, it seems to be bringing her closer to a connection between herself and those brutally killed centuries ago. Sadie much search for the truth to find peace not only for the lost souls to witchcraft but for her own piece of mind.

This is a really interesting and a great storyline. Looking at the cover of the book you may be mistaken in thinking this could be a really dark horror story, and a really scary read about witches and ghosts, when in actual fact it is far gentler than that, it is more of a chilling, mystery, suspense, paranormal story. The clues are there in the story and the reader is almost teased in a way of what is to come in the story, that makes you unable to put the book down and it is a real page turner. The historical facts are well researched and accurate and the way the story is written you do really empathise with those that perished and who were so cruelly treated, and the prejudice against them, for the silliest of things when they were accused of witchcraft. The story builds up to a dramatic conclusion as is one to add to your to read pile.