on 17 October 2013
I read the three novels of this series in order, without reading other crime novels in between. The first, SHAKEDOWN, did just enough to get me to the second, THE DEAD MAN, but I must say it wasn't a convincing push. I didn't find the mystery element to be all that engrossing. That changed in the second novel with a well-developed plot and a good number of candidates thrown up as possible "baddies". I was pretty invested by the third book, NO WAY OUT, and felt again that it was pretty strong, although somewhat drawn-out towards the end.

But the things which made it work for me overall, apart from the three reasonably strong but separate plots, were : the good quality of writing, with doses of humour here and there; Jack, the main character who was likeable and effective, yet fallible, all while he was struggling with his movement disorder (Jack starts as a FBI agent but loses his job in the series due to his illness.); and, finally, the way Goldman developed a wider pool of characters with whom Jack had, or created, various relationships.

A couple of typos in the three books (Kindle version), but nothing too serious and certainly not enough to be annoying or impact the rating.

I have read a few Goldman books and he has a noteworthy cast of different characters to follow. He has once again done enough here for me to continue with the ride.
on 13 April 2014
First of all I should say this was excellent value for money. The combination of 3 books gave the firast time Golman reader a chance to follow through wioth the character. will read more.
on 1 July 2013
Goodies are baddies, baddies may be goodies, real baddies were goodies. Write all the characters down and put ticks or crosses beside them. See how many you get correct at the end.
on 12 May 2013
The three stories are full of twists and suspense, instead of reading for 20 minutes before sleep I found myself turning the pages long into the night.
on 16 January 2013
Not as brutal as Reacher and with a humanity that makes Jack Davis frustrating and readable. He has a different foible than your usual hero.
on 19 August 2013
I liked these books, 3 under one heading. Hope there are more to come in the future for the kindle, but I can't seem to see any.
on 27 February 2014
It helped by reading all 3 back to back. First time I've read his books and will look out for more.