on 20 June 2014
I discovered Maggie O'Dell recently whilst waiting for Lord Mark of Billingham to get a move on with his latest Thorne novel. She is fast becoming my new BFBI!

This is the second in the series and really should be read as such to understand what makes Maggie tick. Yes, there are a lot of cliched thriller traits, but they really didn't bother me as the writing flows well and it really is an edge of the seat rush to the end.

The lovely Sheriff of SomewhereinNebraska turns up from the last book - as does the evil Albert Stucky, Maggie's Nemesis who we heard about, but didn't get to meet. I love the addition of Harvey, who is bonded to Maggie by merit of having similar scars at the hands of Stucky. I also like the new FBI partner she is forced to work with - nicely written and.......I can't say any more!

I won't be rushing to read the next one because, and here's why I didn't give it 5 stars, it's a little bit on the graphic side for me and I need a break from descriptions of such suffering - worse than book one I think. I hope the descriptions don't get even more explicit as I'm really at my limit. It also didn't help that my dog chose to jump on the bed at 4 o'clock in the morning when I was about three quarters of the way through.....I had to be scraped off the ceiling afterwards! But a warning for those of you who don't like things too descriptive.

However, after a read of something more gentle I will be straight back to Maggie O'Dell. Definitely better than Scarpetta for me.
on 25 September 2014
So glad I've found this author. Love these books. Now going off to buy the third one. I just can't put this series down!
I had previously read Alex Kava's 'A Perfect Evil' which I thought was a great piece of work for a debut novelist. Her gendre is very much akin to that covered by the like of James Patterson, Jeffrey Deaver etc, and although it is a well-trodden ground, she still brings a refreshing feel to her writing getting very much into the killer's mind. A Perfect Evil hypes up the premise of Split Second immensely, making you want to read the book as soon as possible. Unfortunately, bby placing it on such a high pedastal it always leaves it in danger of failing to live upto such expectations. Luckily, or more accurately, skillfully, Alex Kava does not fail to deliver the goods once again. Although, in my opinion not as good as A Perfect Evil, Split Second is still a fabulous book and manages to emmerse you in a chilling story, bringing the evil right into your room. I would have awarded the book 5 stars, but to live upto the expectations laid down by the debut novel would be almost impossible by any author which brings slight dissapointment to a book where such feelings are not waranted. If you've read A Perfect Evil, this book is a must, and if not, read A Perfect Evil, then come back for more with this follow up book.
on 30 January 2004
this book is a master piece! the main character is fabulously painted so that you feel like you know her. IT's amazing the way alex kava has built upon the character and outlines everything for you so that you don't lose the plot of the story. the whole story is gripping and has a splash of romance thrown in. It's not typical hollywood style romance but it just creeeps in. The plot of the story is complex and excellently built upon through out the book. it definately keeps you on the edge of your seat, wondering who's stucky after next and the twist at the end is great. Just when you think it's over Alex throws in another twist and you become addicted. It's very compulsive reading and i finished it in one setting.
on 13 June 2014
This is the second book in the Maggie O'Dell series and you have to read the first one to understand some of the references. Alex Kava really captures what it must be like for a woman who has been attacked by a serial killer who knows he has escaped from prison and is coming after her again. The characters are well drawn and the sense of fear is all pervading. Alex Kava has joined my list of crime writers to look out for.
on 22 June 2008
I think Alex Kava is a talented author and the 1st novel A Perfect Evil was a good read, but this follow up, oh dear. Thin plot, extremely irritating heroine, characters and references from the previous book artificially inserted into the book for no good reason other than to make this part of a 'series'. Kava is good but her prose needs editing. The soap-opera aspect feels very obvious and calculated on behalf of the publishers. It says much that Tess a potential next victim proves far more interesting and likeable than the self-obsessed Maggie ever is. This is not the book that O'dell's showdown with Stucky should have been.
VINE VOICEon 19 August 2007
After reading Alex Kava's debut 'A Perfect Evil' I placed her pretty high on my list of authors. I read her first book in 2 sittings and I was on the edge of my seat throughout. However after such a promising debut I found it a bit of a let down to read this which isn't as good as her first book. It's still a good read but I hope Kava impresses again with her 3rd book.
on 15 May 2014
Maggie O'Dell 1 & 2 are both superb reads. As a Cornwell/Patterson fan I would regard Kava as being right up there with, if not surpassing them both. These books grabbed me from the first to the last words. I do believe I have found myself a new favourite and will be recommending to my friends. I'm looking forward to book three, I'm sure it won't disappoint!!
on 25 July 2014
The second in the series and I enjoyed it as much as the first one. Maggie O'Dell is helping to investigate a serial killer who previously hurt her. He seems to be targetting everyone she comes into contact with. She lives in a new house which has a big security system and you are on tenterhooks to see that she stays safe whilst she tries to 'stop' him
on 28 January 2013
Second in the series, quite gripping definitely built up the tension. I enjoyed it but did get a bit fed up with how tired several of the characters were, yes they probably do work long hours with a serial killer on the loose but it got a bit tedious in the end.