Format: DVD|Change

on 31 October 2013
As an artist that is currently beginning in performance art, Marina Abramovic (the grandmother of performance art) has been of huge impact on me. Then I watched this DVD, and wow, what a moving, motivational, inspirational artist. This lady is full of power and emotion within her work.
The Artist is Present, was a performance piece that Marina performed at MOMA, New York, with 5 of her historical art works being performed and a new piece by Marina where the artist is literally present, where she engages with her public on a one to one just connecting through pure eye contact.
I'd recommend this to anyone, particularly students with an interest in performance art! Very happy with my purchase!
This is such an amazing documentary about an amazing and inspirational woman. I knew nothing about performance art, and I got this DVD after seeing a clip of it on YouTube. As it is my goal to broaden my knowledge on things I know nothing about. I was so drawn to this charismatic woman. I can't say I like all her art but it is moving it is challenging and is honest and real. I am so glad I got this DVD and feel I have gained something from watching it.
on 11 January 2013
I first saw this film on Australian tv and straight after viewing it I ordered it from Amazon. When it arrived I arranged for a group of my artist friends to watch it at my house. So we had an EVENT. We all found it riveting; both the artist, Marina, and also the film itself which was so sensitively made. Later I showed it to another group. After each showing lively discussion took place. And we have all found that we keep thinking about aspects of the film. Nothing is better than a film or book which keeps one thinking long after one has opened or viewed it. I would recommend this film to any thinker and all artists.
I had never heard to Marina Abramovic before I happened across the film on tv. Now I'm reading one of her biographies and I consider myself a FAN. Julie Podstolski.
on 5 January 2013
I wasn't really aware of her work at the time that this exhibition/performance was happening in New York, I had heard about it but not looked into it. So I wasn't sure that I'd enjoy this, but it was completely gripping, and made a good attempt to explain her previous work to give us context. Very well done documentary.
on 29 November 2014
Great video, especially the close ups.
The video is special to me, because I was at the MOMA (Museum of Modern Art in New York City) at the time Marina did her 'staring'-performance.
The video it is exactly like I remember the whole happening to be (too bad I gave up waiting, after standing in line for 2 hours, otherwise I might have been in the film myself..!)
Anyway: it is nice to see all the preparatons/behind the scenes activity that have ultimately lead to Marina's final performance.
Good recording quality.
on 23 May 2013
This is an excellent DVD, really interesting piece, I've watched a few times and enjoyed it as well as lending it out to friends who've also enjoyed. Case is a bit whimsy - made from cardboard - but the actual film is great.
on 13 October 2014
This is an important and special DVD. Marina Abramovic made a strong impression on me when she came to talk at Glasgow School of Art in the late nineties, I've never forgotten her powerful presence and was always looking for a way to own a bit of her work. Other than in books. This gave me that. It feels an important weave of spiritual or buddhist practices combined with contemporary art that is of quality, genuine and heartfelt. I found it very emotional and deeply resonant. Thank you for the art, and thank you for making this DVD.
on 5 August 2014
Before you decide to buy this DVD think twice, because there is no turning back. It will completely change your life and the perspective you look on things around you. A story about a peace of art and an extraordinary woman. If you are interested in modern art a "must have" item.
on 28 December 2012
Great documentary!
Insightful and full of new material for those of you who know the artists.
Marina is very articulate, and with the help of the director the video is a masterpiece!
on 26 October 2012
So many books and films about contemporary or famous living artists are full of pretentious 'art bollix', which often says more about the writer than the artist featured, however, this dvd, whilst having a modicum of AB in the main works as a presentation of Abramovic.

Her work has been described as controversial from the outset and I guess it does sit on the margins. It appears that she had a great deal of input into the structure, content and presentation, however, for me it failed to disguise what I perceive to be the truth about the artist. Abramovic comes across as 'very aware' of what she was/ does do. She reminded me of Warhol, master manipulator of the audience; Abramovic knows how to play the audience including the critics and purveyors of 'art bollix' successfully.

I enjoyed the dvd as a piece of avant-garde entertainment. Did it convince me that Abramovic is an artist who has made/ makes a difference; well no, that for ma, would be Carolee Schneeman by comparison.

In conclusion; I enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in contemporary art with a caution - be very open-minded and do not yourself be sucked into the hype.