on 18 August 2012
I am a student about to start university. I purchased this for carrying around with me all day, because as much as I love my giant i7 Laptop, I realised it would be no use for this!

I was about to buy an Acer Aspire one 725, but bought this instead because of the better processor.

The netbook performs extremely well for it's size! It's very fast and doesn't slow down significantly with lots of applications open. The dual core AMD processor is perfect for everyday computing tasks and absolutely fine for more demanding jobs such as photo and video editing with the ATI graphics card built in. It's even not bad for gaming. With it's 256mb of dedicated graphics (which the description doesn't mention for some reason!) It can easily handle old games and even new games such as Minecraft are playable, though it's clear something this size was never designed for high performance gaming - that's what your giant laptop/desktop is for! Nevertheless, if you want something that's good for a bit of fun on the go (like me!), this is ideal. It's Windows E.I. score is 3.9 (limited by processor), which I think is excellent for a computer this size and price, what's more it scored 5.8 for gaming graphics!

Performance aside, the laptop feels quite solid. The case does not indent under pressure or scratch easily and although I don't want to try, I get the impression if I dropped it, it would not be damaged. The keyboard is very good (better in fact than my big laptop!), so this netbook is ideal for work on the go. The screen has a good resolution for it's size and the picture quality is good. It also doesn't show reflections as much as most screens, this means that it's better in bright places and you can use a lower brightness - saving power.
The battery life when compared to other netbooks, like the Acer I nearly bought, is not relatively good. However, it lasts a good 4 hours playing 90s games and 5 hours under reduced performance use, so it's still good. it does have some software built on which helps save power and the non reflective screen helps too. The fan is silent and very little heat is emitted in everyday use. Fan wakes up a little if you start playing Minecraft, but compare that to my i7 laptop which is unusable without a cooling stand! I mean.. of course it's going to heat up if you start playing games!

As for other features, the speakers are OK (I'm a musician, not an audiophile, so as long as I can hear the notes OK, it suites me!). There are 3 USB ports, a VGA and HDMI port and a combined jack. I'd rather have a seperate mic and a headphone jack but that's no reason not to buy the product!

In conclusion, this is definitely worth a look at if you're interested in a mobile device. It performs much better than any tablet of the same price, so don't succumb to buying some 'ipad' or other fancy branded device without having a look at this first!
77 Comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 August 2012
I am a student and purchased the 305u so that i can take my work anywhere with me, as my current 15.6" laptop is just too big and heavy.
This laptop is perfect for simple, portable computing such as word processing or internet browsing. The screen is anti-reflective as well which will help on the 3 hour journey between university and home.
This brings me to the only downside, the battery, which conveniently only manages to last about 3 hours which isn't the best but then again you cant have everything.

In a nutshell, its small, light, fairly speedy with a brilliant screen and much better build quality then Acer alternatives.
22 Comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 June 2012
Have owned this for 5 months, and have found it excellent; despite comment in another review, it runs silently 95% of the time, without the fan cutting in, doesn't get hot, and seems to have plenty of power, even running my quite intensive Corel Videostudio 12 HD editing program ok, which I didn't expect from it. The screen definition is really very good with bright and crisp definition and none of the reflection which glossy screens give. Very light in weight, good to look at, and excellent, firm non spongy keyboard. It starts up almost instantly from sleep or hibernate mode, and seems to run much more happily and more glitch free than the other laptops in the family, an Acer Timeline and Dell Studio. So for a small, really portable laptop, I would have no hesitation in recommending it.
0Comment| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 April 2013
Perfect little notebook - to be used in conjunction with bigger laptop. Ideal for my job as class teacher.
Appears pretty robust without being bulky and amazed by how light it actually is.
I'm not a very technical person but so easy to start with a little knowledge. Was a bit silly and forgot there was now CD drive to install previously bought programs, but easy when you read how to down load online.
Maybe the getting started pamphlet could be a bit more detailed (hence the star). But very happy.
on 12 December 2012
Handy little computer when in transit. I don't like the charging connection; not much thought went in to this it's a bit hit and mis when you push in the connector.
on 7 January 2013
good product working as required and I am very happy with it, had to send the first one i had back because I kept getting errors on the hard drive but I had no trouble returning it and the postage was refunded
on 29 July 2017
incredible slow
on 26 September 2012
I've had this a couple of weeks. Despite other reports which I have read, the wi-fi strength is good, I've noticed no problems. Downloading large files from the internet, using wi-fi, is fast.

However, battery life is only average. I am referring to the 4 cell battery which comes delivered with this laptop. I get around 3 hours between charges. I have the laptop in hibernate mode between uses which may go some way to explaining the battery performance. From hibernate it takes less than 10 seconds to boot up which is fantastic.

The video/audio is superb when connected via hdmi to my lcd tv. Streaming YouTube looks very good on a 46" lcd. This laptop is very light, it can be easily held in one hand. The keyboard is excellent, it seems to be full-size. Windows 7 runs very smoothly.
1010 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 August 2012
I'm currently a student so i needed a laptop which was very portable yet could still manage to play HD video and had enough memory for my movies and music. This laptop scores highly on all fronts. Perhaps battery life could be abit longer, but i managed to get 4 hours... I will however buy a 6 cell battery for this laptop which would extend the battery life up to 6 hours. The keyboard has taken me less than 5 minutes to get used to and i am now typing very fast, the keys have a springy feel to them and are very responsive. 500 GB HDD and 4GB ram are more than enough for the day to day tasks.

Overall, great purchase and I am really glad i brought it.
on 4 May 2012
Did quite a bit of research before taking the plunge with my Nectar Vouchers! Great looking notebook and so far I can't fault the product after 4 hours of use. Set up was very easy and on the internet within 30 minutes. Went for this model linked to memory & spec & screen size it offered over the netbook models £50-£100 less. Intel v's AMD ...I asked a few family & friends about this and got differing views and so far I have had lots of internet tabs open and AMD seems to be coping. The outside shell feels nice to touch and does not leave finger marks (it's very new!) and the key board layout & keys feel fine. The fan does kick on when resting on your lap which I am getting use to. Overall rating so far.....smashing!
22 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

See one answered question