on 9 October 2014
Rating: 3.5 Stars

To me, this book is for a very very young adult. I didn't really enjoy it as much as i was hoping to due to that fact.

Jessie moves to North Carolina to live with her grandma after hers parents split. She doesn't realize that her parents break up is a lot more complicated. She finds out after meet Caleb, a boy she knew when she used to visit her grandma, that she is a light tamer and so is Caleb. She feels a pull toward Caleb and she just mistakes it for attraction but Caleb makes her realize that they are bound to each other. They have to watch out for the dark ones, they like to suck the light from light tamers. She meets a girl, Amber who is a feisty, loud mouth who is always moody. She's hard to get to know but Jessie has no problems with being her friend. When a guy named Otto comes on the scene and pairs up with Amber, everything goes great until they finds out that he is a dark one. They have to come up with a plan to send him back to the underworld. On top of all this, Jessie is discovering new things and a surprise visit from her dad tells her more.

It wasn't fantastic but it was a pleasant, light read that i'm sure young adults will love to read. It was free when i picked it up. Plus it actually says for 13 years and up.
on 18 April 2012
I have been lucky enough to read and review a book of Devyn's before, THE LEGACY OF KILKENNY and when she approached me about reviewing her new book THE LIGHT TAMER, I was quick to agree. I love Devyn's writing and was keen to try something new by her.
I absolutely love this cover. What with purple being my favourite colour, I was instantly attracted to it. The model is really pretty and I like the whole light and beautiful vibe it has.

I always wonder when writing a review what I can offer that no-one else can. The only answer I can come up with is, my opinion. Why do people read my reviews? I like to think it's because I'm honest and I am passionate about reading. So I try to put some of that passion into a review.

So, on with my review of THE LIGHT TAMER....

15 year old Jessie Lucente has moved from New York to New Bern, North Carolina. Jessie's parents have split up and her mom has taken her to live with her grandmother, Ms Gayle. The trouble is, New Bern has a population of around 75,000 and 70,000 of those residents are retired. So it's hardly the hip and happening town that Jessie is used to in New York.
She misses her best friend Jersey. She misses her old life. More than that, she misses her dad who went to live in Greece.
Little does she know that New Bern is set to be more interesting than she gave it credit for.
Things start looking up the moment she sets eyes on Caleb. He's not the weird, scrawny boy she remembers from summers spent with Ms Gayle. Gone is that image she had of him. replaced by this gorgeous, tanned hunk.

When Jessie touches Caleb, she feels a shock of electricity. She feels warm and tingly. More so than you feel when you're crushing on a new boy. This is something much more than that. But what...?

Caleb explains to Jessie that it's because he's a Light Tamer, otherwise known as a SLIder. As is she. Now it's not up to me to explain what a Light Tamer is or what they can do. That's something you need to discover for yourself.

Caleb introduces Jessie to a friend of his, Amber. She's also a Light Tamer. When you meet Amber, you'll think she comes across as maybe a bit ditzy, a bit weird and a lot sarcastic. But she is actually pretty awesome. Maybe it's because I possess the same personality traits, but I like Amber a lot. Her snarky comments and her sassy attitude had me raising an eyebrow here or there and laughing, okay snorting, out loud. Jessie and Amber get on really well. Better than Caleb could've hoped for. So even though she feels like a third wheel to their relationship sometimes, Amber hangs out with them quite a lot. They are a fun little trio.

It's not until the introduction of Otto that a spanner is thrown in the works.

Otto is the love interest introduced for Amber. Jessie instantly thinks there's something off about him but can't place her finger on what. I'll leave it to you to find out the ins and outs surrounding Otto. All I will say is, he's not the nicest guy on the block.

I liked this book because it was a fast-paced, laugh a minute kind of book. I managed to read the first third of it in an hour. It's a Paranormal Romance, but it could also be classed as a comedy. I absolutely love Devyn Dawson's sense of humour. There's hardly a chapter or even a page that went by without me laughing to myself about something.

THE LIGHT TAMER was a little like getting on a roller coaster and hurtling towards gravity at breakneck speed. The end came about all too fast and I just wish I had book 2 readily available so that I could continue on the journey.

Thank you Devyn for giving me this wonderful book for review. I really am eagerly awaiting the next installment in this trilogy
on 9 February 2014
I got half way then gave up, the writing is pretty awful at times and the story not good enough to keep me interested. An chazzle! I mean what the hell she couldn't come up with something better, I don't know why but it makes me think of vagazzle an nobody wants to go there.

Not for me and I'm glad this was free at the time I purchased it.
on 5 November 2013
I liked the overall concept for the Light Tamers in the book, however, my whole enjoyment of the book was hindered by the writing style of the author. I found that I was unable to engage with the characters and at moments where there was meant to be heightened drama or emotion I was left not only feeling like I hadn't connected with the moment but that the characters hadn't either.
I will look out for the next installment of the series but will have to see the writing style before I commit to buy.
on 28 August 2013
I chose this book from the Kindle store, as it sounded like my kind of book, and whilst reading it I decided that I really liked the concept of the book,with it's magical twists, but I don't really think that different characters were introduced into the story as well as they could have been.
on 27 September 2013
Couldn't put it down. She kept me on tender hooks right through the book. I then had to down load her other books.
on 31 July 2014
this book was funny the idea was very original but it seems very unrealistic at times eg: what normal 15 complains about having big boobs mosy complain about having small boobs?!
on 18 June 2013
I thought this book was very good but came a bit boring nearer the end. Liked the love that was there even though she didn't know it was there. Well-defined it to anyone.
on 26 December 2012
Very good book. Interesting throughout the whole book would recommend to others.
Left on a cliff hanger at the end but starts you thinking about next book.
on 24 June 2013
Great book really interesting can't wait to read the next one!!

I highly recommend it clever and just a great book