Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 21 December 2015
Bought it as I don't have Sky Atlantic, and enjoyed enough to buy second season as well.
on 28 December 2014
I enjoyed watching this, although it was a little over-the-top confessional in places. When I reached the end, I realised I had no burning desire to see series 2.
on 7 January 2016
Self indulgent drivel. Don't bother
on 28 April 2013
Mainly disappointing that for the price it is only 10 episodes barely half an hour long.
Aspects of the series are very good but perhaps due to all the hype, just didn't feel quite good enough. Little by the way of plot but real-life characters.
on 23 March 2013
I bought this because of it's rave reviews on both sides of the atlantic. It is apparently novel, brilliant and hard-hitting. But - whilst it was fun watching - it didn't strike me a cutting edge. Yes the main character is smart, and honest, and (let's just say it) podgy. So it doesn't have the superficiality of sex and the city (which, for the record, I love). But they're all still white, american, from relatively good families, etc. It's basically just an enjoyable story of 4 girls struggling in their twenties with love, work, money, etc. As long as that's all you're expecting then I recommend it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 9 December 2013
I finally got my hands on this brilliant show, which well deserved the critical acclaim it got, and put Lena Dunham on the map (my map, anyway, after a bit of a research I found out Lena was rocking the world with her creations well before the "Girls").

Perhaps not from the pilot, but from the second episode I was hooked. The show is edgy, smart, funny, quite unique, different and a bit (sometimes more than a bit) awkward. Okay, there is not much of a story behind this season (apart from a few drawn lines), but each episode is its own story, and each chapter is one brilliant sitcom in its own right. The series slowed down in the middle episodes, there was, at times, a lot of over-dramatising (and a bit of over-acting in the beginning), but overall the show was very much enjoyed by me.

I loved all of the characters, from narcissistic and aloof Jenna to uptight Marnie, and curious, honest, with a wry sense of humour, phenomenal (and embracing it) Hannah, and, of course, Shoshanna, who lives by the rules of bad reality shows and self-help books with titles like "Listen Ladies: A Tough Love Approach to Love."

Time flew by! (And I appreciated less than half an hour episodes - you can watch a few and still have an evening left!) Yes, when I think about this I admit there is not a lot of philosophising going on, and I appreciate a lot of people may think there is no substance to the series, no glowing idea behind "Girls". But I tend to disagree. And in any case, I think the series is a great way to banish the boredom and cringe at the mistakes made by someone else, rather than you.

I cannot wait to watch the Second Season. Roll on Christmas!

P.S. And you have to check out the soundtrack!

P.P.S. Have I mentioned that I love this show?!
on 14 April 2013
this series is not as good as everyone makes out. The main characters have no redeeming attributes, nothing happens and it's quite unrealistic.
on 10 March 2013
It's OK, I warmed to the characters as the series went on, but it didn't seem to match up the reviews I'd seen
on 12 May 2013
This has to be one of the best series I've ever seen, quickly followed by series 2 which was just as fab! It's still played all the time at my house its a keeper!
on 25 June 2017
This sexually frank series, like the better known ‘Sex and the City’, is about the love and sex lives of a group of young women in New York City. Some say it is truer to life, possibly because ‘Girls’ was devised by a woman, Lena Dunham, who also stars in it. (‘Sex and the City’ was devised by a gay man who may have used its female characters to portray behaviour more typical of homosexual men, but made easier to sell to a mainstream audience by presenting it as a drama about heterosexual women.)

Although of the masculine tendency myself, tried ‘Girls’ having read favourable reviews and a recommendation that men could learn something from it, and having been able to like some other TV series and films primarily aimed at a female audience, if done well enough, such as ‘Pretty Little Liars’ and ‘The Devil Wears Prada’.

However, sadly, while I can see much of it is clever and well-acted, I cannot say that ‘Girls’ does much for me.

Of the 4 young women who the central characters, I liked best ‘Marnie’ played by Alison Williams.

I do not know if Jessa, the crazy visiting English cousin, reflects something about how British girls behave when feeling freer from conventional norms while abroad, and/or a stereotype Americans now have of the British, replacing the ‘stuffy’ and straight-laced way they once saw us.

As for the other two 'Girls', to be brutally honest, it is hard to fully believe in the love lives and sex lives of ‘Shoshana’ and ‘Hannah’ when Shoshanna looks so miserable and Hannah such shapeless a ‘lump’ that it I would not expect anyone to fancy them. In interviews included as ‘extras’ the actress and deviser oft he show, Lena Dunham, looks better presented than she does when in character as 'Hannah', so it is easier to believe that the actress might have a love life than her character.