on 18 March 2017
I tried to use this to remove the cranks from my old mountain bike.

Initial impressions were OK and no problems screwing into the crank arm.

Turning the silver inner part things became very tight - I expected this and kept pushing, waiting for the crank to pop off. Instead the tool came out of the crank arm, stripping most of the thread out... On top of this the inner thread of the tool was also damaged, and the silver part is now stuck and will not turn within the black part.

I had to resort to Halfords for another crank remover which was much more expensive but did the job this one could not.

Maybe I had a bad one, but I'd advise caution if you are trying to remove old cranks that are really stuck on tight.
on 17 September 2012
Another useful addition to the DIY kit of bike maintenance. Don't be fooled by the price, this is a seriously good tool, (ok the spanner is a bit naff but still useable) that will get your pedals off in a jiffy.

Rule 1. Grease the threads well before first use. Always do this with any threaded tool as it will reduce friction and wear on the threads.

So far I have used this six times (with a proper spanner) and there is no thread damage. What I really like about this particular tool is that one end has a socket to undo the nut/bolt on the spindle - reverse it and it becomes the puller - two tools in one - bonus! The only slight down side is that there is no 'bearing' on the spindle end, so a really tight pedal might cause some damage there. I just slipped a greased-up 5p coin in between the shaft and the puller on a mega-tight pedal and bingo- no damage.
on 18 May 2017
Does what it's made to do.
on 21 April 2013
I bought one of these elsewhere.
The picture used in the ad was identical, and the product received looked just like both pictures.

Removed the crank securing bolt, screwed the black part in to the crank as instructed, then used the supplied spanner to screw in the silver part to pull the crank off.

OUCH! Effing and blinding!! Bollards!!

Badly bruised & squashed index finger.

The spanner, being only a thin strip of pressed steel, suddenly gave way, bent, and I ended up punching the crank, trapping my index finger between the crank and the now bent spanner. Had I been on the chain-wheel side I would have probably ended up punching part of the outer chain-wheel and going to A&E for stitches.

I got a proper 16mm spanner out of my tool box once feeling had returned to the offended digit, and the crank came off effortlessly.

My advice, if you buy one of these, is to throw the supplied spanner into the bin the second you open the packet, and use a proper 16mm spanner: it is going to be less painful!
on 30 June 2012
I gave this 5 stars as it did what was required of it and was cheap. It did come with a flimsy spanner thing that fit the hex bolts on the puller itself but that failed immediately under the strain required to extract the cranks. As that wasn't even included in the product description, the product description in fact saying you would need your own wrench (which in the end I used), I didn't feel the need to knock anything off the rating.
on 27 January 2013
Good price for a tool that you wont use too often.
Gets the job done without damaging the crank.highly recommended.
on 28 September 2012
Have now used this a couple of times, and found it very robust. Despite having to use EXTREME force to loosen one of my cranks, the tool held up nicely and all the threads were left intact.

Don't bother using the flimsy little arm that comes with it - use a decent quality 15mm spanner, as long as you can get, as you may need a lot of OOMPH to get things moving.
on 28 November 2014
Worked perfectly on a number of occasions now - the only time I screwed up a little with it was when I didn't screw the inner bolt on the puller out enough before screwing the outer into the pedal arm.. only screwed into a few threads which can end up damaging the thread on the pedal arm if not careful.. other than that mistake.. works perfectly
on 18 December 2012
Cheap and cheerful, simple but effective crank pulling tool.
Reasonable quality as expected, pretty good at the price, fair bit cheaper than others that are not as good.
Does the job without any fuss or fancy nonsense, just make sure you stick a dab of grease on the center pin and you are sorted..
on 4 October 2015
I can reconmend this crank Puller Remover as i needed to get my crank off my bike. Only thing is the spanner what came with it isn't very strong
and it bent when i tryed to Extract the crank off. So i would reconmend that you use a socket ratchet from a socket set .