on 31 December 2012
Gave this to a friend for christmas and he was delighted with it. He is in the music industry so it looking forward to reading it.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 31 May 2015
I was a teenager in the 60s, one who enjoyed many different bands, mainly for their music, rather than the individuals. I have many Stones albums and it seemed about time to read about the people behind the music.

I bought the Audible version of this book, and it's huge, but I was engrossed. This is very much a warts and all story. I started off believing that Mick was a thoughtful, intelligent and generous individual. I don't follow the popular press so, for me, the stories about his treatment of the ladies in his life were largely a revelation. Mostly very disappointing, other than the ultimate account of his relationship with his many children. His pecuniary attachment was clearly a significant influence and he certainly comes across as manipulative. His selective amnesia was particularly interesting.

The character flaws aside, the account is also a highly readable discography. There's significant insight into not only the albums but also the origins and history behind many of the tracks and lyrics. I shall listen to many with greater understanding. I don't know if there are 'better' books about Jagger. This one struck me as honest and comprehensive. I'm sure anything untrue would have been vetoed by Jagger's lawyers!
One person found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 17 April 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Philip Norman has given us a well written , and somewhat lengthy insight into the life, loves, and times, of Britain's cheekiest little imp. Philip himself, makes no secret of the fact that this book is not an official biography , as he has only actually met, Sir Michael twice , and didn't really have any in depth conversations with him on either occasion. Philip admits that much of this book relies on third party accounts, from Mick's friends and associates, which he has pieced together. I have followed the exploits of the Rolling Stones myself, since their early days,and I am left wondering if Philip Norman actually knows Mick Jagger any more than me! Anyway, it is a good read , and there's the added bonus of a fair few photographs. I admire Mick Jagger's charisma, and when you consider all the antics that he got up to,as well as finding time to write and perform all those classic songs , it makes you wonder how he's done it all, and still managed to retain the figure that an eighteen year old girl would envy. When the Stones came out , my dad said they wouldn't last twelve months, but here they are after ftfty years,just about to start on another sellout tour. Indeed, Mick and the lads, just keep on rolling. Mick Jagger remains a truly enigmatic character, and this biography is a welcome addition , to Philip Norman's other books. I've got the hardback,which Amazon has at just under half price at the moment,although the best value is the kindle edition, and I would imagine that the Kindle Fire HD would do justice to the book's photos. Highly recommended for Rolling Stones fans, or anyone who just likes a good biography.
3 people found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 March 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Philip Norman offers lots of interesting historical facts and titbits about the Stones' career, London's development and the music scene's development as well as many of Mick Jagger's contemporaries both rivalling bands such as the Beatles but also the romantic interests of the Stones.

It's well told with a good pace and he obviously knows his stuff so he can weave it together elegantly with some good and well-chosen photos and now that I've finished, it doesn't feel like I've ploughed through a 600 page book.

What brings it down from a 4 to a 3 star book in my mind is the gossipy and almost gleeful nature with which Jagger's women are treated by the author. He constantly describes Jagger's attitude towards women as sexist, as being a sign of "Eternal Teenagers Syndrome" etc., yet he himself constantly refers to incidents such as the Mars bar (which he even states is not true...) throughout the book as well as the fact that some of the women had slept with other stars of the day. Many of those comments seem catty and irrelevant (something he actually accuses Keith Richards of doing in his autobiography "life"...) and it doesn't suit an otherwise well-written book.

But if you're interested in the band and the music and political setting in which they rose, this is a good place to start.
2 people found this helpful
on 14 January 2014
Being a big Rolling Stones fan, this was an essential read for me. I had read and enjoyed Phillip Norman's recent book on Lennon, and have read Keith Richards' book, 'Life'.

This book is pretty hefty, but I didn't feel it dragged at all. Pacing seemed great, and the bulk of the book seems to focus on Mick's life up until the mid to late 1970's (the 'golden years' - in terms of Stones' history anyway!)

It all seems well-researched and is very informative, interesting and entertaining. He goes into great detail about the infamous 1967 drug bust (the Mars Bar incident), as well as Mick's interesting sex life.

The only real criticism for me is the constant 'Keith bashing' - every time Keith Richards is mentioned it seems to be in a negative way. I'm a big fan of Keith, and true he's no angel, but Phillip Norman seems to have taken a bit of a disliking to him and slates him quite a lot. I found this to be a little impartial and unprofessional, and it did start to grate. It didn't ruin the book for me, it's just something I noticed.

I would thoroughly recommend though. I can't see Mick ever writing his own book - he is not interesting in the past, and his selective memory would make for a patchy narrative. I think this is the closest we're likely to get.
on 11 May 2013
It is difficult to write yet another biography about a man when you would think everything that can be said has already been said about him. Particularly when a number of other artist have recent biographies out that share the same story, including both Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood. Nevertheless I thought it was an interesting book which was both balanced and skillfully told. There are many references to his infidelities and his complex relationships with his long term partners. It also struck me as a miracle he has such a strong bond with all his seven children when he lived his family life so completely on his own terms. The book also focused on his love hate relationship with Keith Richards. The book took up the argument that Keith put forward in his own book `Life' that Jagger has a materialistic attitude and took control of the Rolling Stones in the 1980's. However, the book also suggests that because of Jagger's attitude the Stones were no longer ripped off by dishonest managers and promoters and grossed two billion dollars between 1989 to the present day. It also hints that Jagger and Richards are likely to have received the biggest share of this money but it seems all the Stones are worth tens of millions of dollars.
In my view this is a well written book that draws heavily from previous biographies about him and others who share the same story. If you wish to read a book about the life story of Mick Jagger, this one is probably your best bet.
VINE VOICEon 16 April 2013
Aah, here we have Mick, a man who can't really sing but who has made a career out of being a consummate showman and writing songs that suit his voice. He has obviously led a very public life but, on reading this book, you learn a lot and realise that, in the past, Mr Jagger hasn't given that much away about himself. I think that he is to be admired for that, given the current appetite for knowing everything about everyone in the western world.

I have read several books by Philip Norman and he never disappoints. I can't begin to imagine how long his research takes him but "Jagger" is a labour of love with great attention to detail. I couldn't put it down, despite it being 600 pages! I bet if Mick Jagger read it, he would be shaking his head and wondering at everything that had happened to him!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 30 March 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a great hefty brick of a book, quite gossipy in tone, but an enjoyable read with information aplenty about the early London music scene, how the Stones got together and their staying power.

In Jagger we have a man who is all opposites: an exhibitionist who is very private and perhaps this is what fascinates us, the fact that he has achieved so much but remains somewhat aloof. The book is well-researched and interesting, but I actually preferred Keith Richards' autobiography; maybe if Mick decided to write his we'll get to see beneath the flamboyant public persona. He has kept much of his private life exactly that and this biography doesn't really add to what is already known. As one reviewer has already said....buy if you're a fan, but otherwise spend your money on the music.
on 22 November 2012
Present for husband who has loved it. Quick delivery.
My husband saw it advertised and I was delighted to find it plus bonus of cheaper than local bookshop.
One person found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 18 May 2013
Mick Jaggar is a man of contrasts. He seems extrovert, but he is shy. He seems loud, but he is quiet. He is a womaniser, yet a devoted and well loved father. Mr Norman has done a splendid job in bringing this rock legend to life. It is a very long book but I loved the inside stories and the scandal and the interaction between the boys in the band. For those of us who have loved the Rolling Stones from the day they first stepped on stage, this book is an absolute bible of rock. I was particularly taken by the parts involving "Keef" who is rather a shadow who keeps in the dark. And then there is Ronnie, the mediator who ironed out the problems.
A great book. I thorougly enjoyed it.