Format: DVD|Change

on 11 August 2012
Dave McKean has produced both a visually stunning and engrossing film of Martin Sheen's passion play "The Gospel of Us". Sheen's take on the passion play is a modern day retelling set in (and starring) his home town of Port Talbot. Topical political and commercial issues are dealt with alongside the structure of the age old, yet timeless, story of the passion play. Dealing with both the destruction and hopeful resurrection of the town of Port Talbot (and its residents), and the individual "teacher", who suffering from amnesia after a mental breakdown, is a crucified and reborn. The film is definitely worth two or three viewings to ensure that all aspects of this multi-levelled, tapestry of faith, love, denial and destruction are all discovered. The additional short film by Dave McKean featuring the industrial and rural landscapes of Port Talbot is both visually and sonically beautiful. This is intelligent film making and story telling and is a welcome escape from the daily servings of dross and pap that are served up by TV and Hollywood. Highly recommended.
on 9 July 2012
I saw The Passion in Port Talbot on the television and found it really moving, and frightening in parts. When it came to the film I wasn't sure if they were going to be able to capture the same level of emotion . The film however does that ,and more . I am pleased I was able to see it at the cinema but will also be buying a copy of this and recommending it to all my friends . It must have been an amazing experience to be a part of .
on 9 July 2012
The Gospel Of Us is an incredible piece of filmmaking shot over just three days during Easter 2011.

Of course, most films that have Michael Sheen involved are worth watching, but this is something special. Set with the industrial town of Port Talbot as its backdrop, the film shares a collective consciousness, a Legion as it were.

Sheen sizzles in his role as The Teacher, possibly one of his greatest performances. The rest of the cast, both amateur and professional all connect with the story. This is their story, their lives, their town. And now it is their film.

A truly beautiful film and a masterclass in editing.
on 9 August 2012
I can't quite describe the feeling I evoked from this film. all I can say is it has stayed with me since I saw it 2 months ago. As one other reviewer describes its a more visceral experience than an intellectual one. By that I mean that i was completely drawn in from the start, not quite knowing what was going on but charmed and intrigued all the same.Th eteacher (sheen)says 'tell me your story'. How often do people want to know YOUR story? In a world where we're surrounded by people who talk and don't listen this is refreshing. The title speaks for itself referring to the 'gospel of us' the bible is a story, but as humans we all have a story that's often left untold when we die. The music is sensational, the 'scratchy' sound of the violins and the many scriptual vignettes provoked a curiosity in me and drew me in. Whats so fascinating about this film is the realism of the characters, the humanness of them but the surreal way its been edited. Even if you don't quite understand the meaning behind the story it doesn't matter. What's real is the emotions of the characters dark and light. Its a story about good and evil and the struggle to understand life. This is a film that can bring different emotions and reactions depending on your mood and circumstances at the time. The film can take you where you want to go and can be interpreted in any way you choose. All i would say is just watch it with an open mind and heart and you'll get the best from this. I've read some other reviewers who say it satirises the bible and creationism, however if you simply enjoy it for what it is (a film) and don;t try to intellectualise it you may just enjoy it.
on 8 July 2012
This film is an amazing feast for the senses and in a very visceral sense beautiful. Other reviewers have outlined the basic promise for the film, I just wanted to add my voice to the 'for gods sake what are you waiting for watch it' group. So often, because I love the world of cinema I feed & escape into a world of celluloid which is 'edited sanitised' directing my emotions in its one hour third minute journey. And more often than not that's fine, its escapism right?...
But I really would not be over enthusing ( although I know its sounds like I am) if I say this film and it's premise allowed my heart and mind to engage upon a journey all of my own. A mixture of the backdrop of the town, the music, the amplification of some aspects whilst downplaying others, the faces in the crowd and the sociopolitical core of the story engaged me in a way I have not been for a long time. And For a change I didn't feel like I was escaping, I felt a real sense of connectiveness being plugged in.... In this think it really helped that it sang to my core ethical belief of ' collective creativity. But whilst the whole 3 day passion event was a credit to everyone involved in its incipient creation. The film does stand alone as a beautiful & thought provoking piece in and of itself.
on 12 August 2012
Bought 3 dvds,my daughter,son and myself.Amazing film,Michael Sheen is brilliant,other cast members too.Showed the town in its true colours,awesome, Llewelyn Street made me cry,my grandparents lived there and its where my father grew up
on 1 April 2013
I had heard about this movie a couple of years ago, unable to buy in NZ but took a chance the UK format would work. My main reasons for purchasing this movie was; set in Port Talbot , Michael Sheen, and just intrigued as to how the story of the Passion could relate to Port Talbot. I have to say the first 15 minutes viewing was confusing but
then it started to draw me in, seeing familiar streets and landmarks came second to the story . I found it thought provoking and extremely moving. I would suggest watch the extra bits first especially the people of Port Talbot, this will explain some of what it's about.
on 23 April 2013
As a drama teacher, I am always on the outlook for things like this. The extra "Making of" film was worth the price alone. Really amazing how they involved the whole community in this project. This is not just entertainment, this is art.
on 3 April 2014
This DVD I would recommended above all others as it is unique in as much as it is portrayed in a natural environment and most actors are untrained, but this is not obvious.Congratulations to Michael Sheen,who came up with such a great idea.
on 24 July 2012
WATCHED the live event last year and was excited to watch this DVD. mind blowing film, the crucifixion scene is very hard to watch, but worth it.superb acting by the whole town of port Talbot. thank you- MICHAEL Sheen. thank you amazon