on 22 December 2014
The mills seem to work very well. However, please note that these are only "brushed steel effect", i.e. the mill frames are indeed plastic made to look like brushed steel. The black handle parts are not non-slip, but fairly hard plastic. From the images it might be possible to think these parts are non-slip but they are not.

If you are looking for real metallic frame, these will not make you happy. However, I doubt you will be able to find good quality mills made out of real brushed steel for this price.

So, all in all, the quality of the product given the price seems quite good. I only wish I would have realised
on 24 February 2013
When the in laws had these, we had to get some too. Not cheap but impressive performance. Now some time later (2 years) they have stopped producing good results. Motors still work fine, battery duration is good, but despite trying to adjust the grind setting it is no pepper or half a complete pepper. Nothing inbetween. So now going to go back to a hand operated mill.
44 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 July 2013
Size: Gift Set|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
On the Amazon page these look lovely, but once they arrive they have a very cheap, almost plastic feel to them. The "black" sections are not rubberised/soft touch at all, but a very hard plastic, making the whole unit feel cheap.

Each mill requires 6 AA batteries (12 in total, not included). The battery and motor unit take up almost 2/3 of the whole mill. In the Amazon image, the clear section at the bottom that holds the salt or pepper is the actual capacity. It isn't very much.

The motors are reasonably noisy, about the same as any "generic brand" electric mill. They do seem to have a lot of crunching power though, presumably from the extra current from 6 batteries. The mills are also adjustable to give a fine or coarse grinding.

The instructions are multilingual and easy to understand, but the text is tiny.

In use, the units work perfectly. You often find out if a mill is good or not after several years of use. A blunt mill is useless. Cole & Mason are renowned for having decent mills that don't go blunt, so this is probably their best feature.
on 9 January 2016
I am very please with my purchase so far (bought the mills about a month ago).

The set looks very stylish and ellegant. The mills fits perfectly in hand and comfy to hold.
The button is located at the top of the mill so, again, feels really comfy in hands.
Mills are also very lightweighed - please note these are not steel, seem to be made from chromed plastic (I may be wrong) but they still look nice.
I am very happy with the grinding mechanism as well, works great so far.
Great addition to my kitchen.
I hope you found this review helpful.
Size: Gift Set|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My first impression of these were that they were a bit over-engineered and have a small compartment for salt / pepper. Having used them for a few weeks however, I have to say that I utterly love them! They are excellent to use both when cooking and when adding seasoning to your plate. Unlike traditional salt and pepper grinders, these are quick and convenient to use - I hadn't realised I needed an upgrade from my various salt and pepper pots but these little beauties proved that sleek design can make a product you don't need to think about into an object you actually enjoy using. They're not what you would call a necessity - but gosh they are a nice little luxury!
on 30 May 2015
Bought some of these for my mother who has arthritis in her hands. She loved them and can now salt and pepper stuff to her hearts content.
My sister saw them and wanted soem. So we bought hr some for here birthday. Not because she has arthritis but because she is lazy....personally I use malden sea salt and crush it up in my bare hands.....However I digress. They are well made units and do a fantastic job. They do take a lot of batteries and I mean a lot for what they are....
on 29 May 2014
I bought these as a gift for friends and they love them! They are easy and comfortable to work. They love the design, they go perfectly with their kitchen décor! Very pleased with my purchase, Thank you!
on 17 March 2014
well made and they do the job, like that you can alter the grinding size also. These look stylish in the black and chrome
VINE VOICEon 21 July 2013
Size: Gift Set|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love this electronic mill set. It looks elegant and shouts quality so would grace any dinner table. Having freshly ground pepper on hand must always be a plus for everyone. I haven't used ground salt until now but already I am a convert. Very easy to use, a simple one handed press of a button and the results are superb. It does state the grinding can be altered to finer or coarser but I found it was great as set. A little bit fiddly to fill but this was not a big problem. Why I rated it 4 star was I found the 6 batteries required were very fiddly to insert and I only hope they will last for some considerable time. I have not had an electronic mill before, always feeling that was not necessary when a hand grinder is so easy but I must admit I love this one.
VINE VOICEon 3 August 2013
Size: Gift Set|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As an engineer I was struck by how deceptively simple the Cole & Mason electronic salt and pepper grinder pack is. Aesthetically the design of the electric condiments is pleasing. A nice aspect ratio (height to width) and the quality of the product makes them pleasing to look at. I will cover use and performance later.
The units arrive in a well-packaged see through plastic box. Inside the box are the instructions which have been neatly folded into a a little square in one corner of the box. The instructions fold out to provide simple step-by-step instructions in order to fit the AAA batteries (6 per unit) and to ensure you see the "S" and "P" on the 2 units. This is not just because of usage -but because salt would corrode the pepper unit. There seems little steel in either unit -so why not make them both able to resist salt? (Money I hear you say)
The top of each unit can be turned and taken off(see an open padlock symbol) to reveal a black battery cylinder which you can remove by sliding it off. It clearly shows the orientation for each battery. So you fit them v^V^v^ up/down around the black battery pack.Once all batteries are fitted slide the black pack back onto the grinder -by aligning the square slots at the bottom of the battery pack with the body of the grinder. Then fit the body back on and rotate it until the closed padlock symbol is aligned.
I then pressed the button (switch) at the top of each grinder to see that the motor worked and that the grinder turned.
To charge the salt to the unit (see "S" on the side!) basically remove the body again (padlock open) and slide off the battery pack. You can now spoon in the salt granules in the bottom chamber of the grinder. Replace battery unit and top as described above. Repeat for pepper.

Battery changing is related to usage of course, so the normal job will be to top the salt or pepper up and only replace the batteries when the motor turns slowly.
The grinders deliver the salt and pepper very well. We adjusted the rotating knob at the bottom of the grinder to increase the size of the granules (i.e. I guess we increased the clearance of the two grinders). Adjustment is described in the instructions too.
We have used the units for a few weeks now either at the table or using during cooking such as a stir fry or omelette. We have put our old manual units away.
The electric grinders give a consistent delivery of salt/pepper rather than the hit-and-miss way of our manual units.
In the future we of course will see about running costs - how long the batteries last. But so far a good piece of kit for the kitchen / dining room