Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 26 April 2012
I'm ashamed to say that I went to see Walter Trout for the first time last year and he literally blew me away. I was exhausted but very elated when I left the Shepherds bush theatre as here I had witnessed truly one of the all time great blues guitarists who was not afraid to show his emmotions through his guitar playing. He plays very loud and fast blues but can also tease out of his Fender guitar some very soulful and emmotional blues.
This album "Blues for the modern Daze" has a perfect balance of both styles which complements the album and makes for great listening. I guarantee you will not be bored. One of the tracks "Pray for rain" is just Walter and an old second hand acoustic guitar he bought for fifty dollars still with original strings and recorded in mono to sound like an old time 30's blues song. That contrasts beautifully with "Brothers Keeper" which is a loud soulful guitar solo in which Walter makes the guitar soar and talk as if it's spitting out at you the feelings that come from within. Walter played in the 60's with canned heat, then joined John Lee Hooker's band and then went on to follow Peter Green and Eric Clapton in John Mayall's band. Yes this man is certainly up there with the best of them and in my opinion is certainly underated. When you hear this album you're under no illusion it's a talented guitar player you're listening to as he is right out there in front giving his all and not hiding behind other band members, as in my opinion, so many other guitarists do frequently these days.
As you have guessed by now I like Walter a lot and I think you will like this smashing Blues album.
66 Comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 June 2015
Great cd
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 April 2012
This album playing at around 1.2 hours, containing fifteen tracks, including a brilliant booklet covering Walter's career so far plus some great photos. Excellent so far, but what about the music, what about the blues in this release. I've been a fan of this man's music for some years, and how he's not packing huge arenas is beyond me,he truly is one of the greatest guitarists there are, has a fantastic voice, a band who take some beating in any level of music. Walter is without any doubt the best blues guitarist there is, and there are some pretty good ones out there, honed his craft with Canned Heat then as a member of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers before getting going as a solo performer in his own right.OK to this album, simply the best blues album you'll hear anywhere this year likely next year as well, its an artist and band at the very peak of their creative powers. This should go down as an absolute classic, an album to treaure and play over and over again, in fact get a couple of copies as you could wear the first one out it's truly that good. All the songs are new,are self composed and there's not a weak song among the entire collection.Walter's made some very fine albums over recent years, but in depth,quality and sheer enjoyment this just about tops the lot. The opening 'Saw My Mama Crying' could have been by it's title a sad song,but it's about mother's life, sometimes good other times not so, but at over five minutes this song builds, with some storming guitar and is an absolute stunner to kick off the set with. A mix of all kinds of blues, over it's fifteen tracks, that really does what it says on the cover 'Blues For The Modern Daze', what a title but what an absolute gem of an album.Please I mean please do not miss getting your copy of what could be the best overall blues album for several years, yes it is that good. Walter Trout, thank you so much this is just an amazing set.
on 15 July 2012
I really expected a lot more from this album and I'm a big Walter Trout fan, and he's one of my favourite guitarists, I've seen him twice and have bought all of his albums, my favourite is still `Prisoner of a Dream' just a fabulous album, if you don't have it then go out and buy it!

Well! This is not easy to say but I agree with `dark lords' comments in saying if you have several albums of Walters then there's nothing new or better here than he's already previously done, can't believe I'm saying this but just stating the truth.

So the two albums I've really been looking forward to hearing are here, Walter Trout v Joe Bonamassa's `driving towards the daylight' so being a Walter Trout fan it's hard to admit but Joe's wins hands down for me, well! Life's full of surprises, I'll give Walters 4 stars because of its great guitar work as usual & length of musical content.
on 3 May 2012
UTTERLY BRILLIANT - Already one of my favourite albums this year.
If this had a certain Mr Bonamassa's name on it the media would be raving about it.
By the way I'm also big fan of Joe's and for all of Joe's fans out there who haven't tried Walter yet, this is a great place to start, then I suggest you go through the back catalogue.
For those of you who are already Mr Trout converts, you will not be disappointed.
Fair play to Walter Trout, he rarely puts out a CD running under an hour and this is no exception running at 75+ mins. The quality is spot on and their is a booklet attached compiling some of his musical history plus some notes explaining his thoughts behind composing the tracks.
Some other artists out there should take note and stop ripping fans off with inferior quality short length CD's.
on 4 June 2012
YOU KNOW THE RULES GUYS NEVER BUY AN ALBUM FOR 1 TRACK, BUT AS EVER WALTER DID NOT LET ME DOWN, THIS IS THE 5TH WALTER TROUT ALBUM I HAVE BOUGHT AND THE BEST SO FAR IMHO. THIS IS WALTER IN 3 PHASES AND HERE'S A SURPRISE SLIGHTLY ACCOUSTIC AND LAID BACK, WELL WELL, THE SLOW GUTSY BLUES TUNE SMITH AT WORK, NORMAL AND THEN THE ALL OUT ATTACK WITH AN EMOTIONAL STORY TO TELL LIKE TRACK 1 WHAT AN OPENING NUMBER (I SAW MY MAMA CRYING) AND TO MY MIND THE EXPLOSIVE EXCESS BAGGAGE, CHRIST WHAT A TRACK, I ADMIT THE MORE I PLAYED IT THE MORE I GOT LOST IN IT, I FELT I WAS THERE A GUEST IN THE STUDIO.
IN MY VIEW PEOPLE TOO EASILY RATE ALBUMS 5 STARS, BUT I HAVE TO SAY THIS IS THE BIG KAHUNA, WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE PEOPLE AS MY AMERICAN COLLEAGUES WOULD SAY AND BUY THIS YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED
AND FINALLY THANK YOU WALTER FOR SUCH AN AMAZING EXPERIANCE
Known solely within circles of true blues aficionados, Walter Trout is one of the finest rock/blues guitarist and songwriter in the world today. Every album I have of his is a real treat, but he has really excelled himself with the massive Blues For The Modern Daze, which largely finds him writing and testifying for, us, the people, in these tough economic times. Simply put, Walter has produced a classic, an eighty minute monster of an album which barely fits onto a CD and yet never once gets dull nor repetitive. His guitar work is absolutely phenomenal, with the excellent mix of songs meaning his full range of talents are showcased beautifully. There is a wry humour evident here, especially on "Turn Off Your TV", a song that anyone who bemoans our over commercialised society will appreciate and it is clear that Walter doesn't suffer fools gladly, which is, literally, music to the ears of grumpy old men like me. There are so many great tracks on this album, it makes it difficult to choose favourites, but mine are the stunning opener, "Saw My Mama Crying", the heart-wrenching blues of "Lonely", the wah-wah soaked rock of "Money Rules The World" and the superb title track but, quite honestly, there isn't a bad track to be found here. This is my pick for blues/rock album of the year; even though it has been a very good year for the genre, there hasn't been a finer album than this.
on 27 April 2012
A superb cd and this will be a blues classic. Only one thing I don't like, the 'tra, la, laa' back ground vocals on 'You can't go home again'. Well done Walter.
on 25 April 2013
I absolutely love this album, I've been lucky enough to see Walt on numerous occasions in London, Wavendon and most recently Wimborne in Dorset (what a fab little venue there). 'Blues for the Modern Daze' hits the mark with soulful blues tracks that really pick out the key issues of today; loneliness, isolation and the increasingly insular society we live in today (Wow, that was a bit heavy wasn't it!). OK, cut the cr*p - Fantastic tunes, that old Strat working overtime on every track and it works so well in the Car or at Home * BUY IT * PLAY IT * LOVE IT *
on 20 June 2014
Walter Trout gets better and better. He doesn't receive the commercial acclaim of some guitarists, but the are very few that are fit to tie his shoes. He is undoubted one of the greatest guitarists in the world. To add to that he writes such excellent songs. Nobody does contemporary blues like Walter. The are so many stand out tracks on this 15 track album. The opener 'Saw My Mama Cryin', based on his own memories, is a real emotional affair. 'Lonely', 'Recovery' and the title track are all superb. The stand out track for me is 'Blue For My Baby', which is a slow classic blues. The band gel so well together, they could play all night feeding off each other.