Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 29 June 2012
I'm not normally a reader of travel books and having seen the project planned, sponsored and made with a tv crew trips, I thoight this sort of story had been well told. But Graham's tale is much more than that. This is a funny, poignant, thought provoking and thougherly inspirational story of a genuine adventure in (what we believe is) a modern world.
If you are a motorcycle rider and if, like me, you have attempted journeys of reasonable distance you will connect with Graham's quirky but practicle approach to over coming obstacles. If you are some who likes the notation of travelling into somewhat unknown territory and situations, albeit with a little advance planning (or Russian maps) and finding that human spirit and kindness still matter more (to some) than material things, then you will enjoy this book. I particularly enjoyed the issues with group dynamics and what to do if you find your travelling companions a pain in the ass - been there done that.
This was a motor cycling and literary highlight of a dismal British summmer so far for me.
Having met Graham I know that another trip is in the planning stage and if that is recorded in print with the same passion and humour as this one it will be a book I look forward to reading.
on 21 June 2016
I have read all of Graham's books to date and loved them all. He has a nice honest and open writing style that appeals to me - easy reading and full of nice little personal observations and quirky little saying. When he preoduces another book I'll be one of the first to read it.
on 26 October 2015
It's a good story but I found the writing style (present tense affirmative) detracted hugely from the narrative - I get on my bike. I ride my bike. I get off my bike. It may be that the author wanted to give the impression of being there with him in the moment, but it drove me up the wall! If you're writing about something that you've done then keep to the past tense Graham, please!
on 23 May 2012
Question: How much use is a map you cannot read?

Answer: Very! As the author will reveal....

Having dreamt of doing a trip like this, this book has been both a revelation and an inspiration. One man, heading off alone to ride to Mongolia on a very second hand motorbike, no "back up", significant language barriers, no GPS but a series of maps (one of which he cannot even read!) and a lot of determination and common sense. This tale depicts both the journey itself, and at the same time is an honest and introspective account about such an embarkation. The author is clearly passionate about two wheels and about experiencing new cultures and meeting new people.
This book is brutally honest about both the highs and lows of this epic adventure, both relating to the welfare of the bike, but more endearingly, the emotional responses along the way. As the pages turn one gets a sense of the individuality of the author, a character I feel I can easily relate to.
If you are at all interested in travel and adventure, I highly recommend this book. It is refreshingly different, with many a spark of humour thrown in for good measure.
And the total cost, including bike, was less than the price of a fully kitted 7 year old BMW R1200GS! Amazing
on 9 June 2015
Where do you begin to write a review of such a powerful book? Well, I'll try and do it justice but inevitably I'll fail. Briefly, I initially purchased 'Ureka,' one of Grahams trilogy of deering-do on a motorcycle, which once read whetted my appetite for more of his incredible journeys into the unknown. My second 'sojourn' with Graham, and I say 'with' because the way he writes puts you there with him, in the most vivid sense, was 'Different Natures' with yet more in depth insights into what it takes to undertake the seemingly impossible on a motorcycle. I'm not giving anything away regarding what happens in these brilliant books as you need to read them to fully immerse yourself in the experience, anyway, this brings us to 'In Search of Greener Grass' the first in Grahams motorcycle 'trilogy', the prose which Graham uses is probably the most descriptive I have read, he leaves nothing out in the telling as he experiences the ups and downs of life on the road, tarmac or dirt, all three of his books are a tour de force and had a very positive impact on me, so much so that I decided to do my CBT and hopefully gain a full bike licence at some point. His books do stir the soul and leave one with seriously itchy feet, they are a guide out of and an antidote to the drudgery of everyday life which most of us drift through and never really break out of... if you want/need catharsis, a good laugh or if you simply enjoy a good read get Grahams books you will not be disappointed. Highly recommended.
on 28 May 2012
This book is a trip and not an ego trip.
Giving the author 4 stars instead of 5 is my way of keeping him with his pen poised and ready to continue writing, as he should. Maybe you'll just give him 5 and be done with it. Read on and find out why.
Regular travel books these days range from the sublime to the pathetic. The range of specific motorcycle travel books has increased to where it now truly crosses over into the realm of regular travel books. This is a book about travel that happens to include a motorcycle, not just a motorcycle travel book.
So why is this important? I enjoyed this book because it fills in a lot of the gaps, the empty spaces that reside between arriving in destination x, y, and/or z, the places along the road that really do make up the journey.
Too many motorcycle travel books are tied up in making the author out to be a: hero, introspective guru, a lightning rod for cultures (though subjective analysis abounds usually), a sage expert in two wheeled travel, and/or some oddball mix of these. Graham Field presents a refreshingly glib and thought provoking look at travel and he does it from the seat of his motorcycle, the floor of a yurt, the edge of a cliff or two, the deeper part of a river crossing, and countless chairs in roadside eateries that offer fare from the delicious to the suspicious.
It is a flowing mix of details, thoughts, pithy random observations, and provocative paragraphs that will keep you reading and feeling like you are part of the "ride".
For regular travel book fans there is plenty here, ranging from a peculiar small black thing that happened to slip down a very foul hole in India and why anyone would bother to chase it, to an insider's "been there and done that" view of the accuracy of some travel guides that tend to embellish things a little too much. For motorcyclists, it is just plain fun to read, the trials and tribulations of the tent and camping, lost and found treasures in the panniers, and what it means to be a motorcyclist in some places that are off the beaten track. The comings and goings of temporary travel companions that range from the retentive to the really, really retentive.
It is probably not the way that many would choose to visit Mongolia, starting by going on a TV game show!
If you are a motorcyclist, by all means please read on.
We all know the bottom line is always going to be, "How does it stack up to the Ewan, Charley, Ted, Helge, Sam, and the tall Aussie brigade of bike travel writing?" That is the dirty little secret of motorcycle travel writing, as in other areas of life, comparisons are unavoidable, likely to result in some degree of red faced embarrassment, disappointment, depression, and all sorts of nasty things.
The answer here, though, is quite simple.
It is nowhere near the big budget adventure of Ewan and Charley, though the showbiz angle of how Field gets started is fun.
It is quite vacant of the deep, dark, and umbrella laden musings of Ted, in this case think Lichtenstein rather than Monet.
I don't know how well Field would have traveled with Helge but he, Field, probably would have tried to break him down with copious amounts of the local brews.
The tall Aussie, Adrian Scott? Well, let's see, umm, hmmmm, ok, they both have ridden Kawasaki KLR 650 bikes through Russia and that is the only place where the two authors intersect as far as similarities go in their writings.
Sam? I think if Sam had done a few more miles and lived a closer life with motorcycles prior to setting off on his first epic trip, he might have had a lot in common with Graham Field.
Who are Ewan, Charley, Ted, Helge, Sam, and the tall Aussie? If you don't know them, this book will be a good place to start to get to know them, they are all motorcycle travel authors and this book by Graham Field will likely get you wanting for more motorcycle travel reading.
It is a fine place to start if you are new to this, well, "field". He can hold his own here.
Will you enjoy this book as much as I did? Hopefully you will, though if you are a bellicose American politician you might find yourself offended, ditto for if you are a Russian bureaucrat. But if you enjoy a damn fine read that you can pick up, ponder, put down, and pick up again at anytime, you will like this book.
This is the first time I have hoped a motorcycle travel writer will write another book, rather than simply find out that a motorcycle travel writer has written another book.
I still laugh at the lines, "And who are you? A passerby?" and the context in which he presents them.
That alone was the worth the price of admission.
on 25 January 2016
Such a refreshing entertaining book that I found it hard to put down. Puts similar motorcycle travel books in to an 'ok 'league whereas this is definitely at premiership level!
I met Graham at the NEC last year and he is genuine nice chap...but then I knew he would be.
on 16 September 2016
One of the best travel books I have read. Very well written with a great sense of humour and irony, the author encapsulates the spirit of traveling so well, the highs and lows and how some of the best experiences come from the people you meet along the way. Highly recommended.
on 1 July 2012
Found In Search Of Greener Grass a very entertaining and mostly light hearted look at the 'alternative traveller' guide to ex iron curtain states. The frustration of crooked custom officials to the joy of getting through and progressing valliantly onward !
on 23 June 2012
I so loved this book. Graham Field has managed to capture the essence of real adventure in this epic tale of epic mileage on an old eBay bargain bike. His story telling abilities blend seamlessly with his very real talent for description; I could well imagine the environment he was writing about at any time in the book. I particularly liked the way the book flowed and the occasional departure in to the author's thoughts on things non travel/motorcycle related are funny and relevant. I have read and re-read the passage on Health and Safety 'officials' and it makes me laugh out loud every time.

The last Paragraphs in the book a beautifully written and... well... inspiring. Thank you Graham for a tremendous antidote to 2012's Great British 'summer'.

Jay - UK