on 4 March 2008
What more can anyone really say? With a title that always brings a schoolboy smirk to my face and some of the most ridiculous scenes in a modern horror film that I can recall - ''Frankenhooker'' is the perfect midnight movie for fans of subversive and rather silly cinema.

Director Frank Henenlotter (recently only returning from MIA with the eagerly awaited BAD BIOLOGY) has always made movies that walk the line of absurdity. From his ''Basket Case'' trilogy to his drug addiction metaphor splatter epic ''Brain Damage'', Henenlotter's movies have always been horror comedies with an undercurrent of an actual idea behind them. Not just 'face value' horror pap - actually, something going on behind all the rubber and blood. Frankenhooker, although not as clever as something like 'Brain Damage' - does work on many levels, but also does what it says on the tin. It has a woman reanimated as a hooker. Which for me, is what makes this director very special.

The story has Jeffrey Franken (played to perfection by James Lorinz) overcome by the death of his fiance (Patty Mullen) in a freak lawn mower accident. Distraught to the fact that his love no longer has a body (and only a severed head!), he decides to re-animate her by collecting body parts of various prostitutes in the vain hope that he can somehow recreate his deceased partner. Along the way, Jeffrey gets involved in 'super crack', a pimp named zorro and many, many ladies of the night. It's all played for laughs and is easily the work of a guy who loves 50s nudie movies and gross out gore and comedy. Its low budget actually helps keep the movie on the seedy side and the cast are pitch perfect in their over the top delivery. Henenlotters' direction is sharp and his screenplay is both funny, playful and ridiculous.

Synapse Films' disc is well produced with a decent transfer and a host of (though short) documentaries and featurettes - one featuring Patty Mullen recollecting the movie and the other with Gabe Bartolas talking about the various effects. The commentary by Henenlotter and Bartolas is both funny and involving. All in all, not the most thought provoking film out there - but, if you are on the lookout for great fun, cheep gore and exploding hookers - this movie is for you. All three of you.
33 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 October 2015
The package came in very nicely. As for the content itself, there's so much in it that looks great. I just haven't taken the time to dig into it. I bought it because I love the film, I love some of the actors and the characters they portrayed, especially James Lorinz. Also, commentary tracks appeal to me a lot. The other extras are interesting as well, but I love commentary tracks, so to have the director and lead actor doing the commentary, it was an essential buy for me. I'm glad I bought it.

Take out the extras, it's just an awesomely fun and entertaining film. I only saw it once and fell in love with it, feeling like Lorinz's character was charismatic in a strange way. Silly sounding one liners that turned out really great. I compare Jeffrey to Herbert West from Re-Animator. Forget Bruce Banner and Tony Stark, Jeffrey and Herbert would be my science bromance if it would've happened.
on 4 April 2008
My friend Lewis showed me this last night and I was thoroughly impressed. I'd never seen any of director Frank Henenlotter's other films but I will certainly be checking them out if this is anything to go by.

The film stars Kyle McLachlan as Jeffrey Franken, a young man home from college due to a medical emergency at home, while Isabella Rosselini stars as the title character. It's a shame that the title of this film will probably put people off - what it means is that, like Frankenstein's Monster, she is a composite character made out of many others. In this case, it's not literal! It's allegorical! This film is CLEARLY a work of art. The pun extends to refer to the fact that she is Jeffery Franken/Kyle McLachlan's 'whore', so the title should be Franken's Hooker if anything.

Dennis Hopper puts in a terrifying performance as a character I didn't quite catch, but Lewis tells me he's called Zorro. I didn't quite get the character was supposed to be a pimp on first viewing, will have to watch again.

Very moving, if you like surreal films with a great plot, this is one to check out.
66 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 December 2015
I was feeling nostalgic for 80'ies bad scary movies and came across this by chance. It is awesome. A real hidden gem. Funny and gory with a twist ending. Just what I never knew I always needed. I am coming back for more titles from this director and I recommend this movie to anyone with love for "Braindead", "Critters", "Gremlins" and other scary/funny 80'ies flicks
on 12 February 2016
Speedy delivery son loves this
on 23 June 2016
Enjoyed
on 18 September 2016
Paid with thanks.
on 18 September 2016
Paid with thanks.
on 27 March 2016
Very happy with my purchase
on 22 September 2016