Customer reviews

JJC White Flash Diffuser for Canon Speedlite 270EX, 270EX II

on 22 June 2016
Does what is expected.
on 31 August 2013
Does exactly what its supposed to do. Nice soft light, would recommend. Makes a difference to your photos for sure
on 11 March 2011
I have used diffusers with other flashguns, so I thought it would be worth trying this one out with my Speedlite 270EXCanon Speedlite 270EX Flash Unit. It fits over the flash head, but I was surprised at how hard it had to pushed to fix it safely into position. I tried it out with the flash mounted on my Canon G11Canon PowerShot G11 Digital Camera (High Sensitivity 10.0 MP, 5x Zoom, 2.8 Inch Vari-Angle LCD). Results indoors were satisfactory, although whenever possible I prefer bounced flash, for which the diffuser is not necessary. If you do use it in this way with the flash head angled towards the ceiling, you may find that the subject is unevenly lit. I found it also worked well outdoors in strong sunlight, when I used it on the 270EX to provide fill-in light, although the differences between photographs taken with and without the diffuser were not dramatic. I was disappointed to find that it did not work well when photographing light subjects against dark night skies. In these conditions, white circles appeared in the corners and just off the centre of my pictures. Assuming that the culprit must have been dust or grease on the lens, I cleaned the front element thoroughly and tried again, but the results were identical. I then removed the diffuser and repeated the test. To my great surprise, the photographs were perfect, with no white circles. I noticed that even with the flash head on its wide setting the diffuser protruded beyond the front element of the G11's lens, so I wondered if the white circles were the result of light spilling from the bottom of the diffuser and causing reflections in the lens elements. I have just tested my theory by sticking a strip of black tape to one of the longer sides of the diffuser, which I then attached to the 270EX with the side covered by the tape facing downwards towards the camera lens. This DIY solution proved effective, and the pictures I took were free of white circles. I wonder, however, why the manufacturer failed to identify and solve this problem before the product was launched. When you pay a relatively high price for what is essentially a piece of white plastic, you assume that you will not have to redesign it so that it will do its job effectively; for this reason, I have given it only three stars.
on 17 January 2011
As an earlier reviewer stated, this diffuser is a bit expensive for what it is. Hence I have given it 4 stars. That said, it fits the flash very well and does the job very competently.

When the flash settings are set to ETTL-2, the camera/flash seems to work out how much ambient light there is and how much flash is needed taking into account the diffuser is fitted.

The result for portraits is that the flash is softened nicely, with good illumination of the subject.

The 270EX isn't very powerful on its own anyway, so the distance for portraits is probebly reduced a bit more when using he diffuser, but the improved flash effect makes it worth it.

So in summary, could be a a bit cheaper to get the 5 stars, but works well and I would recommend it
on 15 October 2010
I took a chance buying this for my Canon 270 flash. It proved to be a good decision, the difference with indoor photography is amazing, no more washed out expressions on the subjects face, just natural looking warm light. Strongly recommend this inexpensive and effective addition.
on 20 August 2012
I'm a Filipino photographer, residing here in UK all i can say is this item is for sure the best buy ever.. fits perfectly and securely on my Nissin Di866 flash gun and it also soften my images. You can use it indoors or outdoors.. Fantastic results. 2 thumbs up for this product and for the seller!! will definitely recommend this product to the members of our club...
on 5 August 2013
Purchased this diffuser to go with my Canon G15 and Canon 270EX. Having used this flashgun with my previous Canon G11 and found the flash a little harsh at times, thought a diffuser would be the answer having used Stofen Omnibounce diffusers with my big flash guns and DSLRs. Abroad on holiday used the diffuser on the gun to take some special indoor portrait shots and could not believe the results! The flash had produced white circles all over the resultant photograph, removing the diffuser resulted in the picture I was after. Thought this was a one off but was recently taking some still life shots with the camera, gun and diffuser and found the images unuseable, have now binned this filter, not worth the money paid although is a good fit for the gun. I would not recommend this filter.
on 13 July 2011
The diffuser, well .... diffuses as it should, so if you have to flash straight on the subject it improves the picture.

My only concern though is a slight colour shift towards warm or yellowish (does show on portraits). I am not sure whether it is the plastic or the bounce of diffused light over walls.

With 270EX the best option mainly is bounce 60 deg. on ceiling. But if you can not bounce (i.e. outdoors) or want to take a portrait picture (270EX does not rotate) this is the only option you will have for smoother effect.
on 25 February 2013
can not say alot about this purchase, other than it did do what it said on the tin!. I purchased this for my Nissin Di866 speedlite flash, it was a tight fit but at least it will not be falling off. It definitely spread a slightly softer light over a larger area, so I will always use this when using my flash indoors on when using as a fill in flash out doors, I am please with this little purchase, and it will always stay in my kit bag where ever I go.
on 22 March 2011
I no longer use this diffuser or the 270EX it belonged to. But when I did, it struggled to stay on. It took a fair amount of force to attach and then every so often it would pop off. When on though the results were good, perhaps I just had an ill-fitting example(one for their QC dept).

By the way, I bought a Stofen diffuser with my 430EX and it works perfectly.

See one answered question