on 31 July 2013
I bought the Kindle edition. This book had everything I needed to take my existing HTML 4, flash and spry site and convert to a mobile aware responsive site using HTML5 and JQUERY(mobile). The pointer on how to re-size images on the server side was useful. I was a bit rusty on HTML and CSS when I began, but this book had clear explanations and good examples.
on 6 November 2013
I have been looking for a way of learning how the new responsive sites work. I needed to get some idea of the actual subject itself and so I chose this book as a starter. It has held me all the way through. I believe I have a better understanding of the concepts involved and I am eager to learn more
on 27 July 2012
This book is a "must have" position in Web Designer's library.

I bought it to have an overview of what's (or will be) new in HTML 5. Also I've wanted to learn how to make a web page that will look good in any kind of device. I can say that I'm satisfied. This is what I was looking for.
on 13 March 2013
This was the book I was looking for. It explains responsive web design on a Pro level. Apart from explaining how to create responsive web designs, it also shares relevant history about the web history. This helps to understand why older techniques were invented that are now superseeded.
on 1 December 2012
I bought Ben's book after reading an article written by him and I am very glad I have as I've already learnt so much in the first few chapters!
A definite recommend for all those wanting to learn or improve their responsive, html5 and css skills.
on 8 May 2013
The book is well thought out. As said in previous ratings, it would have been better if the images were in colour. However, having said all that, I bought the book for the html and css3, and that it what it delivers.
on 24 December 2015
This book talks in language I can understand and shows clearly how the up-to-date HTML and CSS function, both together and in their own right.
on 17 March 2013
###### PLEASE READ COMMENTS FROM AUTHOR ON THIS REVIEW #######
###### I HAVE RAISED THE SCORE OF THE REVIEW BUT NOT EDITING THE REVIEW AS I AM SURE THIS WILL HELP OTHER PURCHASERS ######

I am now a quarter of the way through this book. The style of the writing is easy going with good reference points explaning why the author has chosen to produce CSS3 in the specified way. The pace of the book is good and reading it on a tablet while following along works well.

So why the low score?

I am a veteran developer who has read many books over the last few years, to help learn I find that the code examples in the book should relate to the screen shots they are using within the book. In this book the author has made a website relating to the oscars, this is a simple design and relates nicely to the early chapters. However, the examples in the screen shots used within the book have nice graphics and text within the relevant sections (Header / Content / Footer etc.) but the code examples you are following along do not include this additional data and with no downloads supplied by the publishers you are unable to get your own code to reflect the examples within the book. This is very frustrating and if your code is not behaving as expected you are left pondering whether you have made a mistake or the code in the book is wrong.

I am currently trying to work out why my navigation panel bottom border is offset and not behaving like the images in the book, but the code is the same.

Here are a couple of examples explaining the problems I have encountered.

1) A previous review to this book suggests downloads are available from Packtpub, however if you go to Packtpub.com they advise no downloads are available for the book.

2) Whilst explaing the use of em rather than pixels to declare sizes within your website, page 75 "As an example, the first pixel-based font size in our stylesheet controls the site's title, AND THE WINNER ISN'T.... at top left" And then references the css #logo.
This is the first this part of the stylesheet has been mentioned and is therefore not in your code if you are following along, the book is telling you to change this part of the style sheet, but infact you have to add it from scratch. (But with the book adding previously unmentioned stylesheet elements I am not surprised when my code does not behave as expected.)

The theory behind this book is very clear, but if you are somebody who learns by practical experience rather than just reading you may find it better to spend your pennies elsewhere.
44 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 December 2016
Very good detail of how RWD works and how to implement the technology at a page level. Would definitely recommend to get you started.
on 23 November 2013
HTML5 is not yet set in stone but this book has got what is likely to become the standard well covered with clear examples.