on 5 November 2013
Before this router, i used to use D-Link Home plugs to give me a wired ethernet connection between my gaming pc and my router. This gave circa 75% speeds of a wired connection and was better than standard Wifi.

When i switched to Virgin Fibre optic 60mbps this month, i found that the new Superhub that they supply can transmit wifi in 2.4ghz AND 5ghz bands (you see a seperate connection for each when looking for networks)

To cut down on wires and take advantage of this 5ghz router, i purchased this Dual Band Wifi Adapter.

I use Windows 8

IMPORTANT: When i plugged the adapter in for the first time, it couldnt see the 5ghz connection. it could only see the 2.4ghz connection. Before i returned it, i went on to the TPLink website. YOU MUST UPDATE THE DRIVER SOFTWARE FROM THE TP LINK WEBSITE IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE 5GHZ CONNECTION.
I updated the driver, and sure enough this adapter saw both 5ghz and 2.4ghz connections. Some customers may miss this so make sure you do the above if you want to take advantage of the 5ghz.

To give you an idea of the improvement, my broadband is 60bps:

When this was connected to the 2.4ghz, i was getting 10-12 mbps on Speedtest.

After updating Driver and connecting to 5ghz, i got 60-61mbps on Speedtest! Get 8mbps download speeds on Steam, 9mbps download speeds on Origin.

Very happy now that the adapter is connected to the 5ghz signal!
44 Comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 July 2014
OK
on 30 November 2012
I received this product free from tp link for buying a TP-Link TL-WDR3600 300Mbps Wireless N600 Dual Band Gigabit Router.

First of all I thought the product was garbage: my setup has both a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network with the same name & password and the adapter never connected to the 5GHz network when explicitly selected - it didn't even find the network until I changed the transmission channel, no matter what region I selected in the device manager properties for the device it would only find the network if I set a low (sub 100) channel number.

In the end I researched the device and found out that it's based on the Ralink 5572 chipset, downloaded the drivers direct from ralink ([...]) and voila - the adapter correctly connects to the network I tell it to and it finds networks on the channels I want!

The range seems good (covers all of my house) and performance connected to a 300 mbps network is as expected - when connected at 240-300 mbps I can pull files from my NAS at around 120mbps (this is expected, the actual network performance will always be about half the speed of the physical layer speed in a wireless network) - quicker than the 100mbps Ethernet adapter in my laptop.

In short - good product, but avoid the supplied driver!
on 18 January 2014
This does work on Windows 8.1 at 5GHz, I am on-line right now using it. When you first plug it in though it will only see the 2GHz connection. You need to go to the TP-Link website and download the latest driver, try: [...] if that link is out of date then go to their website and search for the TL-WDN3200 and get the latest driver.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Most laptops now have built-in WiFi of some sort. Many desktops don't. If you're wanting to improve the WiFi connection speed of your Windows laptop, or to give your Windows desktop WiFi connectivity it didn't have in the first place, then this adapter is an option worth considering.

It's about 3" long, and has a blue light inside that flickers when the adapter is in use. It also has a WPS button for easy setup, but I typed in my security keys manually. A USB extension cable is provided, which may be useful if you're installing the adapter on a desktop computer. There's also a mini-CD containing the driver and utility software and a PDF manual.

It's a USB adapter, which means it's very easy to install, but it's also easily knocked when in use. If your computer can take an internal WiFi card and you can fit it or arrange for it to be fitted, then that might be a better option. USB is however the quick and easy solution.

This card is dual-band (it can work on either 2.4GHz or 5GHz) and can work at speeds of up to 300Mbit/s, which is twice as fast as the basic 802.11n data rate, and a lot faster than the 54Mbit/s you used to get with 802.11g. All of this is only useful if your home router (or wireless access point) supports the two frequency bands and the faster data-rates; otherwise, the adapter will slow down to match. The BT Homehub 3 router, for example, supports 300Mbit/s on the 2.4GHz band, but it doesn't have any 5GHz capability, so it should be fast but may be susceptible to interference on the more crowded 2.4GHz band.

The driver on the CD is essential: Windows 7 doesn't recognise the hardware without it. The WiFi connection utility is optional, and you can choose not to use it even if you have chosen to install it. I find it to be a little temperamental: on first use it wouldn't let me connect to a WiFi network until I had rebooted, and if I leave it running when my laptop goes to sleep, it incorrectly tells me that the adapter is disabled. It's better than the utility that comes with Windows 7, showing channel numbers as well as signal strength for each network.

Using quite a slow laptop connected to a 300Mbit/s-capable wireless router on the 5GHz band, at a distance of 5 metres I get data transfer rates of around 80Mbit/s: 600MB files transfer in under a minute.

Wireless doesn't yet offer the speeds you can get with wired ethernet, but it's getting faster. For browsing the internet, whether you have ADSL or fibre, this adapter should be able to keep up with your maximum internet download rates and still have a bit to spare, as long as your wireless router also supports the faster rate.

Note: If you want to be really cutting-edge, a few recent WiFi adapters are available that support speeds of up to 450Mbit/s. Once again, that will only be of use if your wireless router also supports 450Mbit/s. I'm happy with the 300Mbit/s that this adapter offers.
55 Comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 October 2014
It's been working fine for the last 10 months until I found it had had burnt out - Literally, the plastic had warped 10 degrees or so and it still felt hot. I would normally expect a couple of years out of an adaptor but as I leave my computer on overnight and when I'm out I wouldn't risk buying this again.
on 2 August 2015
I didn't care that this was dual-band when I got it, I just wanted something that worked for my desktop, so I could get rid of a network cable from one side of the room to the other. This dongle had been working reliably since 2013 until I reinstalled Windows 8.1 a month ago, following a disk crash. It was then flaky. Somehow I had an intuition that it was the driver, and I think I resolved it by install some sort of generic/old Microsoft driver instead of the Mediatek one that the reinstall had placed there.

That made it reliable again, however since the Windows 10 upgrade I can only use the Mediatek one that Windows 10 thinks is the best. I can't remember/find whatever else I installed to solve the problem a month ago. Windows 10 driver install lets me look in the "Windows_Old" directory where Windows 8.1. is archived for a month before deletion, but it automatically installs the Mediatek driver from them, as it thinks that is the best option, it doesn't let me manually select the "second-best" option, which actually worked when I installed it under Windows 8.1.

After several hours of searching the internet, downloading and installing various drivers, I now realise that the issue is not the driver as such, it is simply that the stick won't work reliably on 5Ghz for me. I went into advanced settings in the (Mediatek) driver configuration and set it to use 2.4G only, and I think it is working OK now. (I get a 144Mbs connection with 2.4G, which is far faster than I can actually use, given speed test with wire connection shows my broadband speed is 14Mbs.)

I remember that when it was working reliably prior to my disk crash, it was always using 2.4GHz. I have read elsewhere that you have to install specific drivers to get 5G working, so by installing some generic driver that doesn't support 5G previously, I effectively forced it to only use 2.4Ghz, which solves my problem.

I don't know why the stick can't talk to my BT home hub 4 using 5GHz, my Nexus 5 phone has no trouble doing so. Both are in the same location in the same room as the router, so distance shouldn't be an issue.
on 7 January 2014
I bought this as my old Virgin branded Netgear adapter was looking a bit tatty as it was nearly 3 years old. As a few others have mentioned on here this year alone (and considering it's only 7th January, there might be more) the device was working fine until earlier today, now it refuses to connect to any Wi-Fi (well the entire computer if I'm honest) - Sadly I didn't buy online so now I'm hoping I didn't chuck the receipt! I highly recommend you buy something else, at least for the time being as it looks like a manufactures defect.
on 21 October 2013
TP Link TL-WDN3200 N600 Wireless Dual Band USB AdapterI bought one of these from Amazon to replace an earlier TP-WN821N which I damaged. It was needed because my desktop PC can no longer be connected via my telephone extension (my new BT fibre optic connection doesn't do this and my old router is replaced by a distant BT Homehub 4).

It didn't work and no ready light showed (as it had done with the 821N).

I returned for replacement as "dead on arrival" and Amazon replaced it very promptly indeed. Same again. Bear in mind that the 821N had worked with ease with my earlier TP-LINK router on this Linux (Mint 15) machine and the 3200 is advertised solely for Windows

The 3200 now works fine due to the hard work of many skilled people in the linux community. This is the site I found and it just needs a few minutes on the terminal:

[...]

BTW, the 3200 shows no sign of a ready light.
on 29 June 2015
Works very well on Linux Mint 17.1 and the driver is included automatically in the kernel therefore no manual intervention required on the OS to recognise the wireless adapter, just plug it in and it is immediately recognised and functional (no need to reboot!).

Transfer rates are good and no data packets are dropped during send and receive giving a smooth performance.
For the technically minded the Chipset is
"ID 148f:5572 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5572 Wireless Adapter"
and Linux will use the "rt2800usb" driver to enable the device. Information about the linux driver for this TP-Link TL-WDN3200 device can be found below.

Excellent product with is dual band and Linux Compatible ( and no signal drops!).