Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Playlist - Acoustic Christmas Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 5 November 2013
Before this router, i used to use D-Link Home plugs to give me a wired ethernet connection between my gaming pc and my router. This gave circa 75% speeds of a wired connection and was better than standard Wifi.

When i switched to Virgin Fibre optic 60mbps this month, i found that the new Superhub that they supply can transmit wifi in 2.4ghz AND 5ghz bands (you see a seperate connection for each when looking for networks)

To cut down on wires and take advantage of this 5ghz router, i purchased this Dual Band Wifi Adapter.

I use Windows 8

IMPORTANT: When i plugged the adapter in for the first time, it couldnt see the 5ghz connection. it could only see the 2.4ghz connection. Before i returned it, i went on to the TPLink website. YOU MUST UPDATE THE DRIVER SOFTWARE FROM THE TP LINK WEBSITE IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE 5GHZ CONNECTION.
I updated the driver, and sure enough this adapter saw both 5ghz and 2.4ghz connections. Some customers may miss this so make sure you do the above if you want to take advantage of the 5ghz.

To give you an idea of the improvement, my broadband is 60bps:

When this was connected to the 2.4ghz, i was getting 10-12 mbps on Speedtest.

After updating Driver and connecting to 5ghz, i got 60-61mbps on Speedtest! Get 8mbps download speeds on Steam, 9mbps download speeds on Origin.

Very happy now that the adapter is connected to the 5ghz signal!
44 Comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 July 2017
Worked better than expected after troubles with wireless products over the past years. Still use in my desktop pc today.
on 22 September 2017
good range
on 14 August 2015
Got this as a like-for-like replacement for one I had borrowed. Works just as it's supposed to and seems pretty robust in construction, excellent product for the price.
on 4 July 2014
OK
on 30 November 2012
I received this product free from tp link for buying a TP-Link TL-WDR3600 300Mbps Wireless N600 Dual Band Gigabit Router.

First of all I thought the product was garbage: my setup has both a 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network with the same name & password and the adapter never connected to the 5GHz network when explicitly selected - it didn't even find the network until I changed the transmission channel, no matter what region I selected in the device manager properties for the device it would only find the network if I set a low (sub 100) channel number.

In the end I researched the device and found out that it's based on the Ralink 5572 chipset, downloaded the drivers direct from ralink ([...]) and voila - the adapter correctly connects to the network I tell it to and it finds networks on the channels I want!

The range seems good (covers all of my house) and performance connected to a 300 mbps network is as expected - when connected at 240-300 mbps I can pull files from my NAS at around 120mbps (this is expected, the actual network performance will always be about half the speed of the physical layer speed in a wireless network) - quicker than the 100mbps Ethernet adapter in my laptop.

In short - good product, but avoid the supplied driver!
on 17 July 2016
The WDN3200 is a great wi-fi adapter, I can practically see my whole street with this, as it has such a great antennae, even if it is internal.

On Windows, this wi-fi card is supported by default (at least on 8.1 and above), and works very reliably.

The adapter is a Ralink chipset, and may require wi-fi firmware on some linux distributions, however, it is picked up immediately by Ubuntu, Arch Linux, and Raspbian. For OpenWRT however, you will definitely need the RT2800 firmware for it to function.

For anyone in the network security profession, this adapter fully supports packet injection, allowing you to inspect a networks security by intercepting packets, as well as sending disassociation beacons.

Overall, this is a great adapter, and I'll be happy to buy TP-LINK wifi cards again.
on 18 January 2014
This does work on Windows 8.1 at 5GHz, I am on-line right now using it. When you first plug it in though it will only see the 2GHz connection. You need to go to the TP-Link website and download the latest driver, try: [...] if that link is out of date then go to their website and search for the TL-WDN3200 and get the latest driver.
11 Comment| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 2 July 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Most laptops now have built-in WiFi of some sort. Many desktops don't. If you're wanting to improve the WiFi connection speed of your Windows laptop, or to give your Windows desktop WiFi connectivity it didn't have in the first place, then this adapter is an option worth considering.

It's about 3" long, and has a blue light inside that flickers when the adapter is in use. It also has a WPS button for easy setup, but I typed in my security keys manually. A USB extension cable is provided, which may be useful if you're installing the adapter on a desktop computer. There's also a mini-CD containing the driver and utility software and a PDF manual.

It's a USB adapter, which means it's very easy to install, but it's also easily knocked when in use. If your computer can take an internal WiFi card and you can fit it or arrange for it to be fitted, then that might be a better option. USB is however the quick and easy solution.

This card is dual-band (it can work on either 2.4GHz or 5GHz) and can work at speeds of up to 300Mbit/s, which is twice as fast as the basic 802.11n data rate, and a lot faster than the 54Mbit/s you used to get with 802.11g. All of this is only useful if your home router (or wireless access point) supports the two frequency bands and the faster data-rates; otherwise, the adapter will slow down to match. The BT Homehub 3 router, for example, supports 300Mbit/s on the 2.4GHz band, but it doesn't have any 5GHz capability, so it should be fast but may be susceptible to interference on the more crowded 2.4GHz band.

The driver on the CD is essential: Windows 7 doesn't recognise the hardware without it. The WiFi connection utility is optional, and you can choose not to use it even if you have chosen to install it. I find it to be a little temperamental: on first use it wouldn't let me connect to a WiFi network until I had rebooted, and if I leave it running when my laptop goes to sleep, it incorrectly tells me that the adapter is disabled. It's better than the utility that comes with Windows 7, showing channel numbers as well as signal strength for each network.

Using quite a slow laptop connected to a 300Mbit/s-capable wireless router on the 5GHz band, at a distance of 5 metres I get data transfer rates of around 80Mbit/s: 600MB files transfer in under a minute.

Wireless doesn't yet offer the speeds you can get with wired ethernet, but it's getting faster. For browsing the internet, whether you have ADSL or fibre, this adapter should be able to keep up with your maximum internet download rates and still have a bit to spare, as long as your wireless router also supports the faster rate.

Note: If you want to be really cutting-edge, a few recent WiFi adapters are available that support speeds of up to 450Mbit/s. Once again, that will only be of use if your wireless router also supports 450Mbit/s. I'm happy with the 300Mbit/s that this adapter offers.
55 Comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 October 2014
It's been working fine for the last 10 months until I found it had had burnt out - Literally, the plastic had warped 10 degrees or so and it still felt hot. I would normally expect a couple of years out of an adaptor but as I leave my computer on overnight and when I'm out I wouldn't risk buying this again.