Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£13.09

on 23 April 2013
I know a lot about photography but found the official Sony manual not that helpful and not intuitive. No other books seemed available so I went for 'Dummies'. It proved an excellent choice and decision. After skimming through to highlight what I needed to concentrate on & dismiss the more basic, I delved into the detail and found the instructions excellent & fully supported by the accompanying images. Had to buy my wife a new laptop with larger screen as her eye sight has, unfortunately, deteriorated & only Windows 8 models available so I have headed for a 'Dummies' manual to help her (and me!) acclimatise from previous Windows version
If you have just forked out a shed load for a nice shiny new A-65 or A-77 then a few quid more for a well thought out manual is an essential purchase. Even if you are already a bit of an expert, inevitably there will be things you won't know about your new camera and tricks that might help you with a photo.

This book is easy to read, comprehensive and an ideal guide to the now empty wallet you have after plunging into the expensive world of DSLR cameras and their lenses. Whilst in all fairness the Sony on disc guide that comes with the camera has all the necessary information and is actually reasonable to read, this is far better.

I read it all the way through once and now have it on my Kindle as a reference. For me, a very useful purchase.
on 20 August 2013
a bit wordy but then then this is what you have to expect when breaking down a camera's functions in easy to understand language. It assumes little to no previous knowledge. I consider myself to be reasonably competent technologically-wise but sometime you just need a simple approach. I got this as a kindle version for my nexus tablet to make it portable but also got a more advanced paper guide to compliment this
on 28 May 2013
I purchased the Kindle version and find it extremely difficult to navigate around, paragraphs should be numbered for ease of reference
on 29 October 2013
This is a good guid book for the Sony cameras it's intended for. It is suitable for everyone from beginners to enthusiasts, but enthusiasts will have to wade through the beginners stuff to find the gold.

The fact that it caters for two cameras, the A65 and the A77 is not really a drawback as functionality of both seems to be very similar. Illustrations are clear and not as space filling as in some books I've owned.

The use of symbols to indicate tips, warnings etc is a bit of a gimmic, but this is common to most Dummies books.

To be fair, I've not read the book from cover to cover yet, but it's not really that sort of book, I'll probably use it more as a reference.
on 19 October 2012
My camera is an A-57 and at first I was unsure whether this guide was relevant. I need not have worried. There are slight differences between camera models but they are so minor that this guide is totally relevant and a great help. It describes in simple terms all the basic and advanced features and how to use them to best advantage; things that you think you know but actually don't.
There are so many brilliant features on these cameras, a lot of which are certainly not obvious, that make this book an invaluable aid.
on 29 December 2013
This book starts off by stating the obvious for the intermediate user but when moving onto describing the technique that certain buttons can achieve, does not explain how and assumes a high technical knowledge.

Not sure who the book is aimed at as it would not suit a beginner, intermediate or advanced photographer who wants to get the best out of his camera.
on 23 February 2014
Books in this style are rarely fun to read - I got mine to allow me to delve deeper into the functions that were in the "unknown unknowns" - by showing me what the camera is capable of doing. The style was light (not to everyone's taste but suited me) And it was definitely worth the spend.
on 9 February 2014
Got the camera but not the knowledge. This book starts at the basic about camera and moves on to show ways of using it to its best and even starting to be creative. Considering cost of camera this is dirt cheap and well worth it.
on 25 August 2013
The book is well laid out and easy to use, the index at the back give you quick access to the function you are interested in.
It is a book I will be referring to quite often.