Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 18 December 2012
I have been listening to this album for week now and it has grown on me and continues to grow as it presumably did on the judges for the Mercury prize. It is difficult to compare it to any other single artist or band - Radiohead have been quoted but really the only similarity I can see to Oxford's finest is the Selway'esque drumming on some tracks - but it is definitely not a Greenwood/Ed O'Brien style guitar album. The terrific ensemble singing reminds me of Fleet Foxes (who I don't particularly like) and the solo singing (and phrasing) of Billy Corgan, who I do, and even Marcus Mumford. The lyrics are consistently interesting (and included in full on the sleeve notes) and I particularly liked the idea (and execution) of the 3 unnamed one minute "palate cleansers" dotted amongst the 10 longer tracks. So my advice is not to buy this looking for something that sounds like someone else but buy it because it is different - a very rare thing in this day and age and something to be celebrated!
on 17 May 2017
Very interesting and worth listening too. I enjoyed this new genre of music. Took about 5 times of listening to get used to it, and there are some amazing tracks.
on 15 August 2013
I Am a 57 year old male who loves his music and is always looking and waiting for something different to come along
and this is one of those wow moments just buy it now you wont be dissapointed
on 28 March 2017
Another cool cd to my collection
on 22 September 2012
At last I've found another CD worth listening to! I buy at least one CD a month and most 'have to grow on you' - this CD is just great from the word go and I'm getting more in love with it everytime I play it. As a former recording engineer I think the sound and production are excellent, there are no duff tracks and I highly recommend this to anyone who likes great, intelligent and beautiful popular music.
on 14 June 2012
I don't write many recommendations, nor reviews. However, I do try to invest in buying new bands' releases partly because I'm looking for something different, maybe something fresh and I think that it's important that the new is encouraged as much as possible.

Regarding this album, upon the first listen, I must admit that I wasn't sure about this CD. It certainly was different but I wasn't at all sure about the vocal style, but a few days on, and a few more listens - and I have a different view.

They are not Radiohead. But then again they are even less like anyone else either.

If you like clever, intriguing music, that ranges from the melodic acoustic interludes, to taught sharp clever and well constructed songs, then give this a go.

This is not your average garage band. Sure, maybe they've been locked in a basement for too long, but this band aspire to be technically better than most, and to be more fun - and in my opinion they are.
on 22 September 2012
Personally i think this album is the breath of fresh air that music nowadays has craved. Totally original piece of work, nothing ive heard (so far) out there sounds like this.
it has elements of folk, indie, slight dub-step beats and beautiful harmonies. The band came up with a new genre to describe their music its called 'folk-step'

this album is a deserved nominee of the mercury music prize, i would put it in the top 3 out of that list.
on 2 June 2016
Unfortunately every song makes my record player skip but it might be that I don't have the best quality record player.
on 5 May 2017
ALT-JJJJJJJJ in the house.... hmmm ok yes this is a review great album love it....
on 2 April 2017
Quality album, listened to both sides then straight back on again! Very good pressing,especially being coloured vinyl - buy it.
review image