on 11 December 2017
I love this album and have done so ever since it came out. The vinyl sounds much better than the CD. That's all I can say. I have learned that everyone's music tastes are different, and these days you can try out albums before buying them. If you don't like it then don't buy it, and don't leave stupid reviews showing your utter lack of taste in music (He He He)
on 21 December 2017
Brilliant album, wasn't sure on first listen but it grew on me big time
on 30 October 2017
Excellent Album
on 26 July 2017
I love this c.d I'm getting quite trendy in my old age! (I think I am anyway)
on 28 March 2017
Another cool cd to my collection
on 26 August 2017
Excellent album
on 30 August 2017
I love the album. It is the perfect music to accompany you on a long and lone journey!
on 13 December 2017
happy
on 18 December 2012
I have been listening to this album for week now and it has grown on me and continues to grow as it presumably did on the judges for the Mercury prize. It is difficult to compare it to any other single artist or band - Radiohead have been quoted but really the only similarity I can see to Oxford's finest is the Selway'esque drumming on some tracks - but it is definitely not a Greenwood/Ed O'Brien style guitar album. The terrific ensemble singing reminds me of Fleet Foxes (who I don't particularly like) and the solo singing (and phrasing) of Billy Corgan, who I do, and even Marcus Mumford. The lyrics are consistently interesting (and included in full on the sleeve notes) and I particularly liked the idea (and execution) of the 3 unnamed one minute "palate cleansers" dotted amongst the 10 longer tracks. So my advice is not to buy this looking for something that sounds like someone else but buy it because it is different - a very rare thing in this day and age and something to be celebrated!
on 14 June 2012
I don't write many recommendations, nor reviews. However, I do try to invest in buying new bands' releases partly because I'm looking for something different, maybe something fresh and I think that it's important that the new is encouraged as much as possible.

Regarding this album, upon the first listen, I must admit that I wasn't sure about this CD. It certainly was different but I wasn't at all sure about the vocal style, but a few days on, and a few more listens - and I have a different view.

They are not Radiohead. But then again they are even less like anyone else either.

If you like clever, intriguing music, that ranges from the melodic acoustic interludes, to taught sharp clever and well constructed songs, then give this a go.

This is not your average garage band. Sure, maybe they've been locked in a basement for too long, but this band aspire to be technically better than most, and to be more fun - and in my opinion they are.