on 25 March 2015
Don't often do reviews but this unit is so good, I just wanted to help other people that are trying to decide on a new sound system. I had already spent quite a lot of time visiting the local electrical stores, both smaller independents as well as the larger national outlets but none seemed to have a compact HIFi that sounded good.
Having had other Panasonic equipment in the past and having read the manufacturers blurb, I took the plunge and placed my order. It arrived well protected and was very simple to connect up.
The DAB radio is fantastic! It takes just a few moments to scan all local DAB channels and then you can simply scroll through the list to slect the station you want. It also has the ability to store all your favourite stations and lets you number them in the order you prefer too!
The CD player is very neat with a simple motorised front loading drawer that slides out to accept your CD's. All features can be controlled by the on-unit controls or from the extensive remote hand unit. Information relating to the controls such as Base, Treble, EQ ETC, is all displayed on the scrolling message display.
The really important bit for any sound system of course is, the sound. The quality of the sound that this unit reproduces is PHENOMENAL!!
The speaker system uses a unique construction method which you can read about in the Panasonic info if you want to but really, all you need to to know is the range and quality is beyond belief for a unit of this size.
Tones are rich and silky in the base range whilst being light and crisp in the upper and treble ranges. As for volume? It's a very good job that I'm lucky enough to be in a detached property these days! Half max volume is plenty, but I have taken it to the max just to test it and yep, this would be fine for small pop concerts in your back garden too. In fact it must be good when your teenage daughter is saying, "Can you turn it down now?!"
Summing up, if you are looking for a good quality, well made, well finished and superbly engineered small in physical size, sound system the, look no further. I listened to many different units in my search before finding this one and many of those were quite a lot more expensive too but none came close to the wonderful pure and powerful sound of this Panasonic system.
If you love your music, you'll love this Panasonic Hifi.
3 people found this helpful
on 22 January 2014
Very well made, quality hifi, The sound quality is stunning and it's perfect for my small lounge. I have rarely had it on at more than 50% volume so not to upset the neighbours. I think if I put it on full it could blow the doors off :) The iPod/iPhone dock is a bonus.

I've had several DAB radio's in my home over the years and none of them got a decent signal. Reception was patchy at best. The receiver on this was quite good and got 24 stations straight away. I have since upgraded the aerial and now get 40+ stations that are crystal clear. I'm so happy that I can now have DAB in my home.
9 people found this helpful
on 1 December 2014
best thing for me is ease of use I can adjust all I need to in a dark room like volume ,track ,cd ,radio ,treble ,bass ,play ,stop without using the remote .It has a friendly remote also, shame they don't put lights on these .Setting up is easy and has 20 preset dab buttons not 10 as someone else complained about .Dab is good and picked up all stations although I did buy the dab indoor Aerial around £10. The sound is good and clear D.bass button has little effect ,not sure how these modern speakers work as they are 120 W my old 40w (20 year old ones ) blow these out of the sky with volume and bass .I can seat next to these on full volume unlike my old ones .However they have plenty enough volume for a house party. Speakers could be better imo but compared to a recently purchased similar priced sony they are the same .This was bought to replace the sony as it was difficult to use with dab problems .Over all I'm very pleased and may purchase two more for other rooms.
2 people found this helpful
on 6 May 2015
This is a superb system. Sound quality is really excellent and way beyond what we expected considering the speaker size and the price. The system is very easy to set up and operate. With just the short antenna (provided) taped to the wall, the DAB scan found over 30 stations (and we live in rural Norfolk where mobile phones get no signal at all). One important feature that isn't mentioned in the product description is that the system has 20 DAB presets. This means that once you've saved the stations you select, you don't have to scan through dozens of stations to get to the one you want - a blindingly obvious advantage - and the main reason I chose this system, because rival systems (inexplicably) don't have any DAB presets. The system has a well-designed remote control, plus old-school analogue volume, bass and treble control knobs located on the front of the unit - great!. Bass and treble both have 9 positions running from -4 to 0 to +4. Volume is very impressive and distortion-free (though as the system is located in a smallish room we've never got close to full volume). Havn't used the iPhone dock as we don't have iPhones. Overall, can't fault this system, it has a quality feel, and its performance is very impressive. Highly recommended.
on 11 December 2012
Very impressed with this mini hifi, easy to set, sound quality is very good, DAB & FM work fine via an aerial installed in the loft space, radio DAB & FM is crystal clear.
CD sound is very good, would recommend, have installed it in a large kitchen.
iphone/Ipod dock is easy to use & sound is very clear.
18 people found this helpful
on 11 February 2015
I'VE HAD MANY HI FI'S OVER THE YEARS INCLUDING BOSE,HITACHI,DENON,PHILIPS,AND SANYO,TO NAME A FEW.THIS PANASONIC DOESN'T SOUND ANY BETTER THAN ANY OF THEM,BUT IT DOESN'T SOUND ANY WORSE.WHERE IT IS A WINNER FOR ME IS IN IT'S EXTRAS LIKE THE IPOD DOCK AND USB INPUT.IT ALSO HAS A SURROUND SOUND FACILITY WHICH I CAN RUN MY TV AND DVD THROUGH VIA AUXILIARY INPUT,THIS HAS SAVED ME BUYING A SOUNDBAR OR CINEMA SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM.
THE UNIT HAS AN EXCELLENT DAB+ RADIO,AND WITH 60 WATTS PER CHANNEL(RMS) THIS HAS MORE THAN ENOUGH POWER FOR THE AVERAGE LOUNGE,UNLESS YOU LIVE IN BUCKINGHAM PALACE.THERE ARE BETTER SYSTEMS BUT THEY ARE MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE.IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A GOOD SYSTEM AT A VERY REASONABLE PRICE,THEN I RECOMMEND THIS.
One person found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 12 May 2013
i have this sound system in my hairstyling salon and the clients comment on how pure the sound is!
although i,m not a trained sound technician i,m in charge of the sound equipment at my church and make 7 musicians and singers sound their best on a sunday..inc micing up the drums...so they say ive an ear for good sound making nand i really love micro system!...theres such a big selection of sound choices...i like bass tones but not distorted!
2 people found this helpful
on 26 January 2014
I have now the device a couple of months;
Am I happy with it? - Yes.
Would I buy it again? - Yes.

I do have some remarks about it;
- this device has a nice look and real buttons but what do you nearly always actually use? The remote. I am not saying the remote is bad. I have seen a lot of bad remotes and this is not one of them. But I have seen also remotes there are better. Especially the button layout is not very good, primary the volume control.

What also is a poor design idea is to use the button "radio" for radio DAB, RADIO FM, AUX and USB. 4 different input selections for one button. While there is a dedicate button "iPod" only for an iPod. A button that most people will not use. It costs no money the program the device that when you press the iPod button and there is no iPod is falls-back to AUX for instance.

- I live in Belgium and I have ordered this stereo here because the version that is sold here includes DAB/DAB+. In "Europe" it is only FM. This way I have one that has both. But Panasonic did felt in necessary to remove the RDS function from the analog radio in the UK version. A decision I can not appreciate.

- the included wires for the speakers are a joke. Somebody at Panasonic should be fired about that. The are extremely thin and insultingly short.
on 16 November 2014
This was only bought as a kitchen system, mostly for background radio and CDs. I have always been sceptical about small loudspeakers but, while not comparable with my lounge system floor standers, they have remarkable presence. Very pleased with this purchase.
One person found this helpful
on 9 January 2013
I am no music or sound enthusiast, but the rich sound of this small system is amazing. It certainly beat our pre-historic Sony system, or a more recent Phillips micro-system (on which the CD had packed up).
The DAB radio reception was good, with no extra aerial (but may need boosting to get all channels).