on 5 June 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Oh dear. As a 16th edition trained electrician intending to 'top up' to the 17th and return to practice, I was hoping that this book would be the ideal thing to read before my course. How wrong I was.

For a start, it clearly hasn't been proofread (or proofread badly) as it is chock full of the sort of silly mistakes you would expect to find in a GCSE english essay (ex: 'The IET has come to the conclusions that...' or 'this fixing method is demonstrates of', etc... although I think MS Word autocorrect is the real culprit, as these are more grammar than spelling mistakes.

I was concerned to find another reviewer citing it as some sort of students textbook, despite the fact it is not in any way meant to replace the regs, even then there are whole sections that are deliberately skipped such as caravans and leisure vehicles. To be clear, it just about made sense to me as a 16th edition trained electrician, but would be very confusing to a new learner. The content seems to be highly detailed in places, going into pages of detail for what I would consider highly specialist work such as generator connection, yet missing other more common areas of work entirely, or dumbing them down to primary school 'battery and lamp' experiment level.

In short, of the many titles available as 'companion guides' to the regs, this is my least favourite. I'll be sticking to the official IET version.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 July 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is not really what I was expecting / had hoped it would be.

I had hoped that it would serve as a guide as to whether I needed to look into regulations further for particular pieces of work - for example, "I'm getting an electrician in to do this work, is there anything else I should know about what might be needed". So, kind of a guide to help me not get ripped off, and a guide to help me know that the right thingshave been done.

I'm not an electrician, but I am a qualified electronic engineer. I therefore know the basic principles but do not know the current legal regulations. I am not 17th edition trained but I am aware of some of the restrictions and specifications involved in those regs. So, I wouldn't tackle restricted work myself - I'd get a qualified electrician in. I thought this book might help me know when to do that and what to expect that electrician to do.

Sadly, this is not that sort of book.

I'd describe this book as more of an enhanced index or expanded contents section for the actual IET Wiring Regulations. It doesnt replace (and doesn't claim to replace) the actual regulations, but does give outline descriptions of what is in the regs and points you to the relevent section in the full documents (including Amendment 1:2011).

It's therefore probably a very useful book for the field electrician to refer to in order to remind themselves of things or to point them towards the full info in the full document back at base. At a fraction of the price of the full regs it makes economical sense when compared to supplying a team of sparks with full Ed17 documentation as well.

Not much help for keeping the DIYer on the straight and narrow though sadly, so not what I was looking for.
HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 30 May 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Electrical Contractors Association Guide covers all the relevant changes for the 17th Regs from the 16th Regs, as well as reiterating continuing good practice from before. It is not a substitute for the full unabridged regulations, but as a handy reminder with excellent indexing it is much lighter in the briefcase.

It uses a modern style, almost dumbed down, with big pages and big colour pictures, but the typeface is less readable than that in any of the three earlier guides I mention below. As well as including the useful list of the changes from 16th to 17th the new legal responsibilities are outlined. There is much helpful information, but it is by no means a substitute for the real thing, and while it has a nice style I feel it lacks in substance when compared with the three below. I don't think one could plan an installation using it alone, but it would be useful when testing.

If one was on a course to learn how to supervise installation or how to actually install, then much more information is required before one would have enough knowledge to verify installation work was correct. This ECA Guide alone is not sufficient.

Who am I to criticise it? Over many years I was responsible for various aspects on assorted projects both electronic and electrical, so I have depended on the Wiring Regulations to define the standards of workmanship from the contractors.

Previous highly useful guides I have kept copies of because of their very different merits include:
1. the 1989 Whitfield Guide to the 15th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations;
2. the 1992 11th edition of Steward and Stubbs 'Modern Wiring Practice', 16th Regs;
3. the 1998 IEE On-Site Guide, BS 7671 and 16th Regs.

I much preferred the tall thin but robust format of the 1989 Whitfield guide which stuck out of a jeans back pocket, and gave formulae to help with calculations as well as the usual tables and diagrams. Of all the four books I mention here it is by far the easiest to find stuff in and has the most information, but, alas, it is only 15th Regs.

The 1992 Steward and Stubbs is useful in giving practical advice, and wiring examples in all formats from classical theoretical circuit diagrams to line drawings of actual wiring to photographs of good practice installations. Crucially, there is enough information to be able to plan an installation, from theoretical circuits to installation to protection. But one still needed to refer to the full Regs to make sure.

The 1998 IEE On-Site Guide was a pain because the spiral binding was inadequate and the pages were always escaping, and we re-bound several of our copies with cloth and glue. And you had to know what the context was to find the relevant data, but all you ever needed was there. Fortunately, with this in my hand the contractors could not argue.

None of the books I have mentioned is suitable as a guide to the general public, primarily because of the legal situation regarding working on mains electrical wiring: ie if you are not qualified, DON'T. However if you need to discreetly monitor someone doing some wiring for you, and you can cast an eye over the work when they are away (don't touch!) then this ECA Guide might help you to sort the good guys from the cowboys.

For those doing serious practical electrical work I strongly recommend the excellent latest version of Whitfield. Look at both the Whitfield and ECA guides before buying to see which suits your application best.
on 24 May 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
At less than a quarter of the price, even at full retail price, of the actual wiring regulations this is somewhat of a bargain if you want to study to get an electrician qualification as it contains a great deal of the information from the regulations and how they are applied. It is not a replacement for the regulations but also covers other things such as how the regulations sit within the UKs legal framework.
Importantly there is a section on changes from the 16th edition. There has been a lot of discussion about "Part P" of the building regulations which effectively prevent DIY electrical work which is connected to the mains without being tested by a qualified electrician this book puts this in context. If nothing else it is worth buying if you plan to do any DIY electrical work as it does show the complexities and may well make you realise that it is not as easy as you first thought. Being written by the "Electrical Contractors` Association", a well respected organisation, it is a book you can rely on to give factual information.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 27 June 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
An excellent electrical handbook that should be on the shelf of any electrician or engineer in my opinion.

I have a few of these type of book and this is the best one overall. I needed information on wiring as I stripped out a house for refurbishment and as I was putting all the wiring back in I wanted to make sure that I did so in such a way I didn't fall foul of Part P issues. In doing so I bought a few books which I used to keep me on track and they certainly worked. This book came up on the Vine requests and as I still had a bit to do I figured more information was always useful.

Where I like this book is that it covers a lot of ground including industrial wiring. This if I'm honest is more interesting to me because I'm a Chief Engineer on DSV's which are generally HV diesel electric. As this book covers industrial installations it is quite a good reference book for heavy duty three phase wiring as well.

If you are of course an electrician or associated trade who does have electrical work to do under Part P then this is a really helpful book. I heartily recommend it for it's breadth and depth of information.

And just in case someone wonders, I know HV electrical so household wiring is fairly straight forward. Even so I did get my work checked and signed off.
VINE VOICEon 28 June 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Guide to the IET Wiring Regulations: IET Wiring Regulations (BS 7671:2008 Incorporating Amendment No 1:2011)

In most cases "Joe Public" will not need this 17th edition - it is a trade guide for tradesmen/women/persons.
Why on earth did I want a copy?
I have carried out several house restorations and under the guidance of an electrician I have installed house cabling ready for "sparks" to put it all together. He made me buy the 16th edition before I started - yes its a serious business. I used a small section of this guide - household wiring only. Now I wanted the latest guide 17th Edition - you MUST have the most current edition. It goes on and on and covers factories, three phase, etc.
If you are changing a light bulb - YOU DON'T NEED THIS!
If you are an electrician - YOU NEED THIS!
If you need to know the way to wire or rewire a house or a factory - YOU NEED THIS AND A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN.
Electricians NEED this book, the rest of us don't.

PS The guide is clearly laid out, clear diagrams and is a quality guide - at this price it should be good!

on 30 August 2012
If your an electrician or electrical engineer then this book must be in your collection. Addressing the Regs in plain English with clear descriptions, comments, tables and graphs, this is the book that should should be supplied with the Regs book when bought, far superior to the Onsite Guide.
VINE VOICEon 29 June 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Great guide and does exactly what was intended by providing a compact guide to BS7671:2008 With Amendment 1.

Very useful for 'on the job' cross referencing and checking Regs, against the grey matter, to ensure proper
compliance. Excellent Book.
on 16 April 2013
This is an Industry standard publication for all electricians - it is a must even for those who are learning the trade.
VINE VOICEon 21 July 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My husband uses this, his review was that it's thorough, concise and does what it says on the tin. Recommended item.