on 5 July 2012
Given the excellent reviews this book has, my complaints might only apply to the current kindle version (published April 2012). The book seems great except that it is impossible to follow the code in a live project. It feels like the text has been recently updated and pages stripped out. For example, the author often implies that a couple of new tests now pass but without us actually writing any code to pass them. I would not mind so much if the author explicitly asked us to complete the code ourselves to pass the test but he does not, so I keep being left wondering, will the code to pass the test be written later or should I do it myself or have I missed something. I'm now on chapter 8 and it is so frustrating that I will give up trying to do the project myself and just read it.
on 13 June 2012
While I wouldn't call myself a long-time expert, I do know my way around iOS and OS X development, and have been working on my own apps for a couple of years. I've been aware of Test Driven Development (TDD) for a while, have read a number of books on the subject, and can see the benefits of approaching a project in this way. But taking that information and putting it into practice on the Apple toolkit has always proved an issue. The Apple platforms, and Objective-C in particular, are just different enough to the usual TDD environment--Ruby--to make all the other books and tutorials opaque enough that you are never sure if you are doing it `right'.

Which is where this book comes in. It doesn't rely on you knowing anything about the subject, and gently guides you through the concepts of TDD as well as detailed code-driven practice on how to do it, using the built-in Xcode facilities.

You get an introduction on how to test all the `layers' of your app, through the code Model, View and Controller, and how you approach `mocking' objects to make testing quick, easy and repeatable. That's not all it contains, of course; suffice to say, if you want to do TDD when writing code for Apple devices, you need this book.

In closing it also touches on third-party alternatives to the built-in option, but if you wanted more details on those you'd need to look elsewhere. This isn't a fault with the book, but just not what it sets out to do, which is provide a great introduction to TDD for Apple developers, or for those that already may know about and use it on other platforms, how to leverage that knowledge on iOS and Apple OS X.

I've been waiting for this book for a long, long time, and it doesn't disappoint.
on 3 August 2012
While TDD isn't exactly exciting. The author of this book has at least made it interesting. Through well referenced work and an interesting bit of sample code that goes along with the lessons to be learnt in this book, he's managed to guide you through the world of TDD on iOS wonderfully.

My only criticism is that after reading this book, due to all the references made available to you for further reading about iOS and other areas is that I fear that I will be reading more and more books for a very long time.
on 17 March 2013
A great introduction to TDD on iOS. Full life cycle development of a useful and non-trivial app was useful, but I felt some of the tricks of TDD became lost in a mass of repetitive code. Would be nicer to break out the whys and where's into a more succinct chapter.
on 3 September 2012
Firstly I am new comer to the TDD approach, and has it is the book really helps you to understand this working methodology. I might add that it was quit refreshing this approach, compared to what I used to do. Secondly, I am loving how the tests are implemented on an iOS context by using the SenTestingKit framework. I give 5 stars because, its really well done on both this aspects. My only concern is that this is not for the faint of heart. Sometimes the author just doesn't put the whole implementation, and this create some confusion (at least for me) to what to do. I spend some hours on things like:

1) Did I missed something??
2) Is this a typo, and the author just forgot to put it?

In the end, I just had to come with my own implementation. My only problem with this, is that the author should point (maybe he did and I didn't noticed) that sometimes the whole implementation is not given and you should come with your own and that this is not for starters.
on 26 April 2013
Gave it 5-star because it explains TDD to you and takes you through a sample project to demonstrate the use of TDD.
on 5 May 2013
There are not other books on this topic. I like TDD and i like iOS so...i like this book. :D
on 5 November 2014
Book is very tedious and slow passed.
on 26 December 2012
The product arrived on time - and it's really good quality, would buy the same product from the same people again.