on 3 July 2017
These ASUS Xonar cards are always a bit finicky it seems. I got this to replace a PCIe card that I could no longer fit in my cramped machine due to a change around in the USB department. The old card was Xonar too, and I remember being a pain to get going. This one was no different, and was frustrating before I got it working.

Sound reproduction is great, but every now & then it will crash the PC when you stop music, which lost it another star. It also crackles a bit when you pause and restart music from MusicBee, which always makes me expect another blue screen. Sometimes when it crashes it does so repeating the last few microseconds of output like a buzzsaw, which has you wincing and reaching for the off-switch. I haven't looked into resolving the issue myself yet, so I'm not going to rubbish it further, especially as the onboard sound on my motherboard is fried, so it's that or nothing.
on 9 December 2017
Do the windows 10 drivers work for this card? 1st card I assumed was faulty, 2nd one needed more investigation.

Long story short, the drivers haven't been updated for ages by ASUS and there are even some hacked drivers available to attempt to get around the issues. Those being in my case, odd sounds and screeches in direct X amongst many others reported by others.

ASIO had issues too.

Clearly the card works for some else it wouldn't sell but do check out those 3rd party drivers first and the reported issues they fix and the latest reports about windows 10.
on 20 November 2017
16 months old, and it stopped working. I paid more for an ASUS board, and I expected a much longer working life from an ASUS product. ONLY EVER USED WITH NON AMPLIFIED EARPHONES.
on 2 June 2017
Not much of an audio upgrade over onboard. However I'm using it for gaming using dolby headphone encoding which is passed via SPDIF to a dac, which it does perfectly.
on 9 November 2017
Better sound quality than onboard which surprised me but I’ve knocked a star off because of the frustrating setup to work through spdif out.
on 27 April 2017
I previously had the Xonar DG PCI card, but somehow the centre/ sub connector became broken after a few years. This is card is essentially the same but the front panel connection for headphones is way quieter, even on exciter mode. I should have just bought another DG, if you have a PCI spare I would do the same. Anyways it provides way better quality than my in-board audio.
on 23 November 2017
Good sound card pity about the lack of Win 10 drivers on the accompanying CD. Any way it works.
on 1 August 2017
Nice sound quality, really better than any onboard card.
the only problem I found is jack sensing, It dont detects headphones and earphones, works, but you need to set it manually
on 12 January 2018
The Card arrived damaged, box was sealed but there was a loose screw in the box, when plugged into the PC, nothing happened, had to send it back and ordered Sound Blaster Z instead.
on 8 July 2017
After 6 months Windows 10 stopped to recognise this card.Cant install the drivers,the card is just not visible by system.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse