on 3 December 2012
Stewart Lee deserves to be successful, even though he recently rebuilt his career on the comedic conceit that he wasn't.

At the time of writing, I'm very glad to see three of his DVDs in the top 100 Stand-up chart with this particular DVD at #12 despite being the most expensive single DVD (i.e. not blu-ray or collection) in the top #20 if not the whole chart.

I went to see this show live (in that London they have now) and absolutely balled with laughter all the way through.
In my impatience waiting almost a year for this DVD's release I managed to get hold of an audio-only bootleg which had been recorded around the same time in December and, despite the quality of the recording, was almost identical to the show I remembered - stand-up at its finest.

It's a pity that the show as it appears on this DVD is missing some of the funniest and most absurd pieces of comedy since Stew's Robert the Bruce gag.
1. Closing the stable door
2. Gypsies and bats
3. Letter from Helena Bonham Carter

One can only assume that these gems have been stashed away in a box marked Comedy Vehicle Season #3.

The DVD itself is one of the most nicely packaged so far in its cardboard slip-case with liner notes and it's a good show with a satisfying conclusion.

If the DVD contained all the missing bits, I would probably consider it to be Stew's finest DVD to date. As it is, I would say it comes in about third behind 41st Best and If You Prefer A Milder Comedian.

Four-and-a-half stars from me (rounded to five).
on 19 November 2012
The informative liner notes for Lee's new DVD (which, as in his books, points to a much more measured person than who he regularly refers to as 'the comedian Stewart Lee') explain that that there are both narrative layers that he intended, and ones that piled on later through his 200-odd live performances of Carpet Remnant World. These notes also underline the important themes in the show, and are good to read before watching. It's difficult to write about how disparate Carpet Remnant World is, when this disparity is clearly held up as being part of the point. The bitter 'comedian Stewart Lee' shtick; Lee's now highly-developed ability to both develop and run out a complex series of callbacks, and then subsequently ruin them (deliberately!) with his own arrogance by lecturing the audience on them for not understanding them; the always-entertaining 'meltdown' towards the end (here, Lee pulls off easily the most convincing tantrum I've seen him throw, aided by an appropriate, er, 'prop') - these provide dependable points of the performance that old fans will enjoy, and new fans will... hopefully enjoy. Lee doesn't provide lazy viewing.

But without a doubt, this is the most thoughtful of his performances. It's clearly even more given than 90's Comedian to multiple viewing, and the layers as mentioned in the liner notes are definitely there. I remained interested the entire time, but I didn't laugh so much. Then again, I laugh more at Lee's shows the more I've seen them - this is likely because Lee writes comedy underpinned by ideas, not the gags themselves, and so his work is very rare in that it can easily be watched more than once. If the idea of watching stand up more than once doesn't appear to make much sense, you've not seen a Lee show yet!

For those newcomers, I'd recommend Lee's earlier work first, perhaps starting from 90's Comedian and moving forward, because there is also a progression here in the 'comedian Stewart Lee' character as the man himself has become increasingly well-known (a progression that brings something new to the table for older fans). I very strongly recommend this, in fact, because if you didn't, you'd be missing out on some of the richest, most compelling stand up comedy you'll ever see. He's definitely my favourite!

At 2 hours in length, it's the longest dose of Lee I've seen, but I'm just about to press the play button for a second viewing as I write this. Definitely recommended!
5 people found this helpful
on 11 March 2014
I bought this as a present for my brother - I was a bit worried because he hadn't asked specifically for this but I wanted to surprise him with something good. I needn't have worried - he thinks its great! Not for everyone I guess, he has a very reflective style and gets off on detail.... Great if you already like Stewart Lee though.
2 people found this helpful
on 24 February 2013
Stewart Lee's performances continue to provoke thought and extend the possibilities of the stand up art. Whilst the delivery is characteristically dry and deliberately 'post-modern', there is a distinctly theatrical structure in what he does. Moreover it feels personal and is very, very funny to me. In his routine he quotes a multitude of foul mouthed and vitriolic, generally anonymous online critics. Clearly he divides audiences, for the content of his material. Personally, though I find his work incredibly uplifting. Recommended to anyone.
4 people found this helpful
on 7 June 2013
Stewart Lee is very funny but not in the kind of way that makes me laugh because I'm too clever to let my guard down for long enough to chuckle at the stories he tells which are not jokes. If you buy this DVD you won't be disappointed but it's best to keep your expectations low and be pleasantly surprised. Stewart Lee is obviously a genius but doesn't want us to know it.
One person found this helpful
on 11 December 2016
Hilarious. After "Milder comedian", which I felt missed the mark rather a lot, Carpet Remnant World is a return to everything I love about Stewart Lee. 2 Hours of absolute joy. Pick it up.
on 15 April 2013
Monotonous story telling from a miserable, fat middle aged man.. and I loved every second. Another brilliant show to add to a long list of consistency, wonderfully performed. Do yourselves a favour by purchasing and watching this DVD immediately, along with everything else he's ever done.
4 people found this helpful
on 22 March 2014
one of the best if not the best show he's done. beautifully crafted as ever, to a wonderful finale.
a zen master of comedy and pathos. a must have for fans.
2 people found this helpful
on 27 December 2015
Stewart Lee's genius comedy just gets better and better. This is his best one to date and had me in tears of (dry ironic wit) joy!
on 8 January 2013
I'm not quite sure why he got let out of his war crimes tribunal to do a show, apparently there was a paperwork stuffup? Anyway, this is thinking-person's standup, and it's great.

Stewart Lee doesn't do once-off throwaway gags. Every joke, every bit, will have a callback (or two, or five, or...); he goes from comedy to metatextual discussion of the comedic framework to discussing the fact that he's discussing it, and I'm laughing the whole time.
3 people found this helpful