on 28 February 2018
I nearly returned this because the LED spotlights I bought at the same time seemed to work fine at first with the existing dimmer, but that was until we checked them out in more detail and finally noticed flickering at certain brightness levels caused by incompatibility with the old dimmer. So I cancelled the return request and got into the job of installing this new dimmer switch on the wall; 2 gang with another standard light switch on the left button for ceiling mounted LEDs and the right hand button connected to a chandelier over our dinning table with three 40W standard tungsten bulbs in it.

The moment arrived to switch on and nothing appeared to happen, but as I turned the LEDs up they lazily came on and gently turned up to full. The tungsten chandelier did exactly the same, giving a rather dreamy effect to light changes. So I am more than delighted with this switch and love the way it changes ambiance in such a smooth and relaxed way and of course with good solid lighting from the LEDs with no flickering. I didn't bother with the rather complicated programming the instructions were on about as it worked perfectly out of the box on standard factory settings. For anyone considering replacing their ceiling mounted reflector bulbs with LED bulbs, the ones I purchased were the 2700K Phillips warm bulbs and the light these produce was perfect beyond my expectations, producing a nice warm light indistinguishable from the original tungsten bulbs. The dimmer further enhances this lighting effect and turning them down makes an even richer light, perfect for an evening in.

Update: Decided to try programming the dimmer to get the LED lights down lower. The instructions were easy to follow and the LEDs now dim right down. They would have gone further down to off, but I opted not to do this because there is a slight flickering at the point they are about to lose all power. One small increment above that gave me both stability and a nice low lighting effect.
3 people found this helpful
on 6 August 2017
Good quality dimmer which doesn't seem to buzz like cheaper alternatives. Can be programmed to allow a slightly higher minimum brightness for LED lights which sometimes don't come on until a certain amount. You can also limit the maximum brightness. Instructions come with it to tell you how to do this but essentially it's just turning it on and off a certain number of times and then turning the dimmer once it flashes the lights to tell you it's in the correct mode. The dimmers can be individually removed if ever they go faulty (spares available) or in my case I swapped one dimmer for a "dummy" which is just a push on-off switch but maintains the appearance of a double dimmer (used for an extractor fan in the same room).
on 18 April 2016
I bought this dimmer switch to control 6 Philips Master LED 6W candle bulbs on one switch (gang, 36W total) and 2 old 25W tungsten lights on the second gang. It works fine with no flicker with the LEDs. Tungsten no problem as you'd expect. I researched this a bit as I read not all dimmers work with all types of LEDs and this one gives three modes. By default it is "trailing edge" (mode 1) which I assume is to do with the shape of the electric waveform that is produced and the waveform should be compatible with the lights. This works with the Philips LEDs. I found dimming kicked in during the last two-thirds of the rotation and the lights were still glowing dimly turned right down.

I tried "mode 2". (the instructions don't say if this is "leading edge"). This also worked, tho it had the effect of the dimming kicking in earlier in rotation and the lights were completely turned down before the last quarter turn. I reset it to mode 1 as I preferred a small amount of light when it was turned right down. I could have got mode 2 to leave some light output too - as the switch allows you to alter the minimum brightness (yet another configuration thing). I didn't bother exploring mode 3.

You put the switch into configuration mode by switching the lights on and off three times. After that rotation of the switch allows you to set the mode.

It has "soft start". Meaning your lights gently ramp up to the set output over a couple of seconds. Neat.

It is silent. I can't hear it at all with my ear right up to it, either with just the LED lights on and dimmed, or just the tungsten lights on and dimmed.

Job done. Happy. Hope it lasts well.

PS In case you were thinking about it I read somewhere you should not mix light types on a single switch. In my case the two types of bulb are on the two separate switches so no problem.
on 1 April 2018
Situation: A large living room with a central 5 arm pendant (40w filaments = 200w) used rarely and 2 wall lights (60w R7 78mm halogen strips=120w} used all the time. Both of these were supplied by a twin gang leading edge dimmer. Objective - to reduce running costs using LEDs where possible. Problem: limited space in wall light necessitating a slim R7 replacement. Ordered: a varilight pro Led trailing edge dimmer and pack of 2 Klarlight 5w R7 replacements (silicone encapsulated and only 20mm diameter). Result: The R7 replacements fitted perfectly immediately reducing consumption from 120w to 10w. The dimmer works with both the filament and the new led R7 loads.- HOWEVER not in the same manner as the leading edge it replaced. With filament and halogen bulbs the Varilight reduces intensity from bright to 'just on'. i.e there is still a glow and you have to press the knob to extinguish. This can be a good thing as it reminds you to switch off completely. With the led bulbs however the dimming effect is greatly reduced - I estimate the reduction is only about 25% rather than almost 100%. As we tend to have these on full this is acceptable. Due to the dimmer's inability to reduce the brightness of Led bulbs significantly I will not be replacing the filaments in the rarely used central pendant. The R7s are warm white and about the equivalent of a 40w halogen so light output is lower. There is no discernible noise or flicker with the dimmer but attempting to take a photo indicated there is in fact some high frequency switching going on in the led bulbs. Let's see how this pans out over the long term.
on 21 June 2017
Just had my lounge wired for overhead LED's downlights but the electrician fitted some awful dimmer switches. With fragile faceplates, one of which broke when the screws were tightened (sensibly) and another broken since. Worse still, the dimmers had buzzy electronics, audible from even 2 metres away.

So I decided to scrap them and go for these and what a difference! I programmed them (easy if you follow the instructions exactly) so that the minimum is just a warm glow, but a very steady one and I now have flicker-free operation right up to full brightness. Absolutely zero noise from the switch which is how it should be😀

I'm very happy with my purchase. I'll stick with Varilight Vpro in the future.
on 28 April 2016
Amazing. I bought this to replace a dimmer that had been fitted by my electrician. Each switch controls a bank of 9 LEDs. The previous switch buzzed and the lights would flicker when turned down low. But the Varilight is completely silent and goes from full on to completely off with admirable control. You can even program the thing for minimum and maximum brightness. I've bought more to replace all my old dimmer switches.
4 people found this helpful
on 24 March 2017
I’ve not had to program the lights so I cannot comment on how easy or not that is. The only reason for purchasing the switch was due to the fact I have LED light bulbs in the room and with the old switch they used to flicker. With the new switch this problem has been resolved. No more hair pulling at the flickering lights! Very simple to fit for me as I only had to replace the wires in the same position as the old unit.
on 9 December 2016
I've used a lot of these types of dimmers throughout the house - unusually, this one controls a fairly light tungston lamp load on one dimmer and LEDs on the other. They are certainly pricey compared to non-LED dimmers but I haven't yet found anything to beat them for controlling dimmable LEDs. They're quiet, have two controller modes (leading and trailing edge) and an excellent soft-start. They're not perfect, though. They occasionally (maybe once every two or three months) decide to go through a 'start of programming' sequence when switched on (ie) they increase the lamp brightness in defined steps, go off and come back on again. Leaving the dimmer alone results in the lamps coming on as normal after a very short delay, so this isn't a real problem, just a bit disconcerting. This behaviour is possibly due to noise on the mains supply but I've not got the equipment to verify. The other 'issue' is that the LED dimming isn't perfect. It's certainly a lot better than when trying to use a standard 400W tungston dimmer but at close to minimum brightness, there can be a distinct flicker from the LEDs (<10Hz). I assume this is always going to be a problem with dimmers that are only wired to the live mains supply (ie) where there's no neutral connection to the dimmer, but normal house wiring often precludes this option. However, I found a way to largely mitigate this by wiring one or two old lighting 'transformers' (the solid-state 240v ac to 12v ac converters used for 12v 50W halogen spots etc.) in parallel with the LED lamps. The 12v ac end is insulated and not connected to anything, so the 'transformers' don't draw much current but enough apparantly to stop the pronounced flicker.
on 4 December 2017
Does the job I needed it to (runs 8 6W GU10 LEDs on 2 circuits). Dims perfectly without needing a reprogram. Was afraid the bulbs might not achieve the minimum rated load and jump about in brightness but it's fine. Fits perfectly over the old switch/back box. Was a straight forward swap over. Pleased about everything. Maybe except the price!
One person found this helpful
on 10 January 2017
This is not a particularly swanky unit, just your basic white package.

Replaced a similar non-Led friendly one, whose rheostats had gone (didn't dim any more). I replaced the defunct switch and installed two dimmable LED bulbs and it works. You should note that dimming is not instantaneous.

I think the control unit inside the new one is a tad deeper because it was a tight fit.
One person found this helpful