on 7 October 2013
I first read this years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it and was delighted that I could now read it on my kindle. I enjoyed reading it again and whilst it isn't an exciting read by today's standards it is a gentle tale and perfect for bedtime reading - enjoyable without me thinking "I must finish this chapter" thereby not putting the light out far later than I meant to.
on 29 October 2012
This is one of those books that you are so glad you purchased. My only complaint is that is finished!

The description of life in Bruach, and it's residents, is well written with lots of laugh out loud moments. The take on life was very resfreshing and I could do with hearing more about Morag et al.
on 9 August 2017
Enjoyed this, particularly the descriptions of the flora and fauna.
on 20 July 2014
Beautifully written, I am reading these for the second time around. They remind me of the west coast Islands, a beautiful place with fascinating people.
I strongly recommend these as a great read.
The conversion to an kindle book is not great, change the font size and you may cutoff the bottom of pages, took me a few pages to realise what was happening.
on 2 December 2013
I love this walk through the past, looking with humour at old ways and customs. I miss such simple stories now and it's a meditation to read it. The is a book to read on a quiet day, with a cat on your lap and a pot of tea and digestives at your side.
on 2 April 2017
Great book the author has a good sense of humour
on 5 August 2013
This book takes you far away in time and place from the metropolis of today. You could almost believe some of it happened, although other parts do seem a little over the top! Recommended if you want to imagine what life in the Hebrides may once have been like.
on 14 December 2016
Relatively engaging book but the author belittles the natives a bit too much for my liking.
on 24 March 2018
Good piece of 1950's amusing prose
on 8 April 2013
I read this years ago, and was very pleased when I found this on amazon. It is a delightful story of life on a Hebriddean island. Very easy to read, and full of humour. I intend to read the other books about Bruarch. I would recommend this to anyone. A delightful book.