on 20 November 2013
I have never had a Sat Nav before and relied on directions from a map and various internet sites. On some journeys I did not want to take the motorway so more planning was needed. Purchasing this Sat Nav has given me peace of mind and less stress on a journey. It gives options of travelling on motorways and not travelling on motorways as well as speed cameras, emergency services, petrol stations, warns of speed limits and many many more functions. The Sat Nav does not come with instructions which could prove difficult for some people who like a book to read like me. I found playing around with the Sat Nav and working things out was good as the symbols were very clear. I have also been on line and looked up some of the instructions on there so all is not lost. This Sat Nav is great value for money, great delivery time and a product I would recommend to a friend.
on 26 April 2017
Good
on 4 July 2017
nice product
on 7 July 2014
Great to have unlimited map updates but it's very slow, compared to my old tom tom
on 28 November 2012
I upgraded to this model from a basic TomTom i had 8 years ago, i must say that considering how far tech has come, i am a little underwhelmed by how much the TomTom has improved.

Now dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with it, it does the job, and i am very happy with the product, but i dont feel that it does everything i would want it to, such as having an accompanying app for smartphones, or incorporating some phone functionality other than basic send and receive calls.

The addition of showing exactly which lane you need to travel on is helpful, especially for those (like my wife) who arent as comfortable on untravelled roads its welcome relief.

All in all, this is a good product that does what it says on the tin, but doesnt have any "wow" features.
on 11 October 2012
I am happy with my VIO 130 but dissatisfied with the support I'm getting trying to download the guaranteed free lifetime maps of Northern Europe that were promised.
on 21 August 2012
TomTom Via 130 is fantastic. It is really easy to use and is simple to attach & detach from the windscreen. A couple of the best things are (i) that you can touch its microphone "button" on the screen & then give it voice commands - great when all you want to do is go to home or to one of your "favourites", & (ii) you can update & correct the maps when, for instance, a new bypass is opened - this is wonderful - no commands to take the 2nd turning off a roundabout that isn't there any more (once you've updated it) & no being shown driving across fields, between the roads, once you've "told" it about the new road.
0Comment| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 December 2012
OK, so first the bad news. I bought this as a replacement for my old TomTOm One which I'd had for a few years and had given me excellent reliable service. The first thing I thought I'd do on purchasing the Via 130 was a backup. Downloaded MyTomTom from the website. Backup not possible with this model/software. Still had my old TomTom Home software on my PC so tried this. Wouldn't connect. So decided to check for updates. There was a speed camera update and new European map update (2.9GB) Thought I'd keep it simple to start with and tried to download the speed camera update as it was only 1.7mb. All was fine for about 30 seconds then got a message on the MytomTom software saying connection lost between TomTom satnav and website. I was reluctant to disconnect the TomTom in case it failed to start afterwards. So waited. Eventually (about 20 minutes)got a message on the TomTom saying connection lost, please disconnect. So I did. Then logged on again to TomTom and the update started again. 30 seconds later, same message, connection lost. So waited again for message on TomTom. Took a while and disconnected it again. Then trawled through technical support and customers forums on the TomTom website. Found lots of articles with the same problem as mine and tried various fixes. To cut a long story short, in the MyTomTom software setting, (icon on taskbar) I cleared the cache and unticked "cache large contents on my computer" Also cleared the cache in my browser and started all over again. This time it worked with no problems. But all this had taken me a whole afternoon. I've since done several updates with no problems. For anyone who is interested, I used Google Chrome as I was reading that there are more issues regarding updates when using Internet Explorer.

OK, so now the good news! Have used the TomTom for a few days and it's been fab! It finds the sat signal quickly, the directions are clear and precise and love the spoken commands option which worked well on mine. It doesn't recognise my phone for hands free calling, but I have a very old phone! Works fine with my wife's phone though. I have deliberately changed route while following directions and it very quickly updates to show you a new route. Love the wide screen and I've even managed to upload some of my own pictures to use as start-up and shutdown splash screens. Have given the TomTom itself 5 stars. But as regards ease of updating...1 star! I'm sure a lot of people have had no problems at all, but judging by the numbers of reviews I've read, the updating issue seems to be a big problem. The thing I would like most is a backup facility. Having read a lot on the TomTom forums, this appears to be something TomTom plan to make available soon. Would I buy this again if I knew then what I know now....yes!

Update 5th Jan
Tried to download the 3gb map update. Crashed big time! The solution in the end was to use my wifes computer (Win XP) and the update downloaded and installed without any problems. I run Win 7.
Still a great piece of kit though :)

Another Update.Jan 2015
paid for and installed new European maps which wouldn't fit onto my device so bought an sd sim card and installed the new map on it. Since then I have had no problems with downloads or installations, works so much faster and smoother via the sim. Can even install updates via my Win 7 laptop which wasn't possible before.
on 4 September 2012
I bought this TomTom Via 130 to replace my 4 year old TomTom xl satnav. I wanted to ensure I had the latest maps for a recent trip to the south of France and also the battery on my xl was on its last legs.
First impressions were very good, and the via 130 is an improvement over the xl. It is very easy to use and the screen is very clear. However, I was surprised to see the compass has been omitted on the 130, something I found very useful on the old xl.

I am not to sure about the "My TomTom" application, the TomTom Home app for the older models is much better in my opinion as it is possible to operate the satnav on the pc, something that cannot be done with the "My TomTom" app.
The 130 via seems to get confused sometimes when connected to "My TomTom" saying there are no updates and then starts to update!!!

The advanced lane guidance is a brilliant feature but does not seem to be available on all roads as I found on my recent trip. The other thing, the mapping in a lot of small French villages and towns, particularly in the south of France and Monte Carlo, appears to be incorrect and the satnav is constantly recalculating which is not good when you are in a lot of traffic and need a route direction fairly quickly. Most of the time the recalculating is very fast but on occasion it seems to be searching for position. I did start to use the map share/correction feature on the via 130 when I came across an error but there were to many on this trip so could not continue.

Overall I am very pleased with the via 130 and would definitely recommend it.
on 28 July 2012
This is my first satnav and after long deliberation I opted for the TomTom over other brands because of recommendations and reviews. It's easy to use, including downloading updates from the website, and has a large enough screen to view details comfortably. My only gripe is that it does not come with a home charger, although it does come with a car charger.
33 Comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse