Top critical review
4 people found this helpful
Irregular clicking noise when disc inside - unacceptable!
on 31 March 2013
- Built-in wi-fi easy to set up and works.
- Lovefilm app works for playing Instant content (over wi-fi) if you're a Lovefilm member. That's a nice useful feature.
- Unbelievably, this machine clicks and groans rather loudly when a disc is inside, even when not playing. I expected a gentle, constant whirring maybe, but nothing like this. It sounds more like a HDD hammering away than a DVD player. Far too distracting while watching films; it is loud enough to hear over e.g. quiet dialogue (at several yards distance), and silences in films would be ruined by it. This is why I am returning the unit, even if it was perfect in every other way it would be reason enough. Read on if you want to know some less important drawbacks as well...
- Text entry on-screen keyboard is poorly designed. Mobile keypad style functionality (as on my Youview box for example) is much handier. But even as these on-screen keyboards go, this one is poor as you can't go from the end of one line to the other side (not sure what that feature's called), so lots more button presses!
- I nearly injured myself trying to get the battery cover off the remote, and I'm not mechanically clumsy. It took me a good 10-15 minutes to get it off, never happened before. That's bad design for a market-leading brand. It has a shape that gives you no leverage when something sticks a bit coz it's new.
- Samsung SmartHub interface is clunky, slow and unattractive, as others have commented.
- Samsung menus. I have a recently bought Samsung TV as well (a somewhat regretted purchase, although the picture is good) and I hate their menus - it takes me about 5 button presses to switch subtitles on on the TV, to give you an idea. Not sure how subtitles are implemented on this, as the DVD I used to test the appliance did not have a subtitles facility. It's probably not quite as bad as at least the button isn't shared with audio description (and the latter prioritised!) like on my Samsung TV.
- While slim, this box seems very wide, it only just fitted into the compartment in my generously sized tv cabinet. As it seems mainly hollow, I wasn't sure it needed to be this big?
- No HDMI cable included - a bit stingy maybe? Obviously no big deal though.
I am giving 2 stars as some features work well and so as to not appear like an angry, dismissive reviewer. In my opinion, any player this noisy does really only deserve one star as it's basically useless (at least to anyone who, like me, gets irritated by background noise). The worst thing is that it's not a continuous noise and therefore all the more noticeable.