Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 15 May 2012
Being a musician myself, I tend to stay away from writing reviews, since people have such varying tastes in music. However I am breaking my own rule now because I have to say that I was absolutely blown away by this album!
Here is a young lady (I think in her early 20's) who has produced a collection of material, of such superb quality that I have not heard for a number of years.
Ren Harvieu has a voice that is strong yet sweet, of perfect clarity and incredibly precise notation. Her range is that of a true professional.
The album contains material that is a beautiful mood evoking journey, which is almost timeless in its style, some would say with an occasional hint of old style blues yet with a truly modern presentation.
The musical backing on the tracks whether simple instrumentation or orchestral is stunning.
I find it amazing that this is Ren Harvieu's very first CD. Indeed there are many well-known artists out there who have been singing for many years, who will never achieve this level of perfection.
If this girl keeps both her feet well on the ground and carries on producing material like this, she is going to be a huge name in the music industry!
I look forward with great anticipation to the next album.
In summary ........................................... Beautiful!
on 16 May 2012
Such great vocals for one so young. I too have been waiting for ages for the album to come out and I am not disappointed. Apart from the singles that have been out for a while, the stand out tracks are Do it right by me and Summer Romance.

I have seen her live and she was great, but I have to say the album makes her vocals come across and shows her range much better at this stage. This is probably due to the venue rather than her talent.

At a young age, I hope the record company keep believing in her. I think she will grow on a lot of people.
on 15 May 2012
Ren Harvieu was born in Salford, near Rochdale, where the great Lisa Stansfield went to school, but Ren's story is one of courage as well as releasing one of the finest debut albums ever. This CD was due to be released months ago, but an horrific freak accident last summer left Ren with two broken vertebrae and the fear that she would never walk again. She spent two months in a hospital in Stanmore, Middlesex and is now thankfully on the road to recovery. Described as 'Salford's answer to Patsy Cline', I personally would compare her more to K D Lang with a little bit of Dusty thrown in! This is a superb first offering and literally every track is first class. In my opinion this girl is going places and will be a big star. Just buy the CD, you won't be disappointed. Pure Class!
on 17 May 2012
Ren Harvieu`s album,"Through the Night" shines like a lone beacon on a pop scene that is dominated by vocal acrobatics ( screeching a la The Voice),trite lyrics,formulaic production, songs that mean nothing now and never will.
In another time and place( i.e. the sixties) this album would have been released with approval but not surprise,just another great singer with a handful of decent tunes and two or three excellent ones.
However in the current state of the game a jewel.
Buy it and strike a blow for pop music.
on 21 May 2012
Bought this after hearing the song open up your arms on Magic almost every day , took me a while to track down the singer as it was always in the stack with no speaking from the D J . However it is a pure class album , every song has a story bit like adele but not so personal . Real must buy for lovers of new music this lady will go far.
on 27 May 2012
Retro some may feel and comparisons some may do..... BUT...... here is a talent and a personality that makes Britain Great again! A fab debut album that has to be in the running for album of the year! Treat yourself if you haven't bought it yet and play it again if you have!
Ren is the now!
on 21 October 2014
Wow.

I’m a musician and arranger. I have to say that in my opinion this album is something of a musical masterpiece.

Forgive me if I say that the songs tend to be the old-fashioned type – great melodies and meaningful lyrics, eleven tracks to the point and no filler. The arrangements and production are masterly and they don’t swamp Ren Harvieu’s great voice which is well to the fore. The sweeping string arrangements in particular are just wonderful.

Fans of the late Roy Orbison’s songs might consider buying this album. Several of the songs on “Through the Night” would have suited the Big O to a “T” if you get my meaning. I can just imagine his soaring voice on “Summer Romance”, “Walking in the Rain”and “Love is Like a Melody”. I hope Miss Harvieu takes this as a compliment. But there’s a good variety of other styles and “Tonight” is a Bassey-type belter.

If you like good old-fashioned pop songs this album will enrich your life. It's is an object lesson on how to make a genuinely thrilling pop record.
on 17 June 2012
I bought this CD on the strenghth of her recent single release "Open Up Your Arms" which I've heard regularly on the radio. I've played this CD only 3 or 4 times now and I really like it. For me, her wonderful voice resembles that of K D Lang whom I also very much like too. If you love a great voice, songs and production then go for this CD.
on 24 June 2015
superb. love it. love her. gorgeous. stunning voice. unique. don`t think she get`s enough recognition. first song i ever heard played on the radio was open up your arms. i was hooked. hope she does glastonbury.
on 18 January 2015
This is a brilliant album. I'd never even heard of Ren Harvieu until my brother rang me to ask if I wanted to go to one of her gigs,in Leeds at The Brudenell Social Club. I went to the gig and it was brilliant,though sadly not well-attended,due to it being a horrible Sunday night in mid-December. Her singing was wonderful,the band fantastic and between-songs-banter very good too. There isn't a weak track on the album,one or two tracks are a bit James Bond-esque (no detriment there) and some will stick in your head (if you're owt like me) for hours on end. I hope she brings out another album soon,I'll be buying it if she does and I'm looking forward to more "live" gigs. To see her in Manchester,she's from Salford,would be amazing!