Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Style: M401dn + Wireless|Change
Price:£499.99 - £504.48

on 31 August 2013
It installed like a dream. Plugged in the USB cable and my PC downloaded drivers from the printer, then checked the internet and updated them. Prints quickly, quietly and beautifully. The engineering excellence I have come to expect from HP since my days in a physics lab using the sig-gens, oscilloscopes and plotters.

So, whuy no fifth star? Their engineering is excellent, the software adjuncts are a pain. The printer goes into sleep mode when not used for a while - Big tick for power saving. This causes a little app that it installed on my PC to fail causing an error message on my screen. Another app annoyingly pops up and offers to validate if my laser cartridge is a genuine HP spare. It is, but when it runs out, it won't be as my stationary supplier offers excellent replacements at half the price.

My tip to HP: focus on the engineering and don't try to be too clever on the software - get it right.

My tip to you: after installation (on a PC), open the MS System Configuration tool and from the start-up list, un-check hpwschd and HPStatusAlerts. That way you get an excellent printer and none of the annoying software interruptions!
on 27 January 2013
One of the best printers I've ever owned was an HP. A laser jet, complete workhorse, never hogged attention, just did a dependable job for years. Since then, I've bought two more HP printers. One was an inkjet which was heavy on bloatware, but I felt maybe the laser printers, on past experience, would be better.

I've had it just over a month and it would have been better if I'd the next day. Instead, I persevered. The installation disk didn't work so I searched for and found drivers (on HP's bloated site, which took some time). Dowloaded the appropriate driver and 'firmware upgrade.' It asked for virus and firewalls to be switched off, sugested every other item in the tray was closed, went for numerous re-boots - in other words, I spent about 8hrs in total just trying to make it work at all.

I've managd to get it to perform with my backup computer but it finds excuses every time I try to load it on my main PC. All I wanted was something to print a high volume of sheets. I don't need a control panel, a fancy interface, masses of onboard software to make me a cup of tea, I just want it to sit in teh corner and print. No such luck. I've given it two stars rather than one as it seems to perform reasonably well if you can get it installed and jump through lots of hoops. If.

Build quality seems ok - not outstanding, but ok. You have to buy your own cable as not much is included (not much of any use).
on 19 October 2012
When my trusty 2200D finally packed it in, I wanted a replacement with the same features - and was pleased to find the M401d, which appears to be an updated version with very similar functions.

The printer was a doddle to install under Windows 7. The drivers are stored in the printer itself, so as soon as the USB cable is plugged in the printer is recognised and the driver installation starts automatically. There is a software CD included, but it wasn't necessary to use it.

Top marks to HP for making it easy to deselect all of the bloatware: as usual there are a multitude of unnecessary programs included, but the only thing you actually need to install is the driver itself. Once installed, the printer is ready to go.

The only negative point was a sneaky attempt to install unwanted software (Bing toolbar) - this is slipped in on a separate screen from the main options, so look carefully when installing. OK, it's easily deselected, but this is the kind of thing you'd expect from freeware that needs the sponsorship - not when you've spent two hundred quid on something. Shame on you HP.

Once set up, everything works perfectly - the print quality is every bit as good as the 2200D it replaces, and printing seems significantly faster.

Printer sharing under Windows 7 was easy to set up: simply share the printer on the PC it's connected to and then you can use it from any other computer on the network - so for me there was really no need for the more expensive wireless or network versions of this printer.

Bottom line: fast delivery, took it out of the box, plugged it in and it works - if only all products were as good as this !
on 30 April 2013
The best printer I have ever bought. Works with PC, Mac,
AirPrint, ePrint (iOS devices, Android devices) at the same time
with no mistakes. Very silent when turning on the silent mode
(this slows down printing).
on 15 March 2013
This is a mono laser printer which we bought to replace an old LaserJet 4P which had finally given up the ghost as HP no longer produced the toner for it. This is a quick, easy to use replacement, which we hope will last as long!
on 14 December 2013
Firstly, take great care with the model of this printer you select to make sure it has all the features you want. Even the specifications given on the HP site are very confusing, they have a sort of generic specification and then use indexing to say which model has which feature.

For me the M401dw was what I wanted d for duplex, w for wireless.

I'm an IT expert so I found the set up relatively straight forward. Make sure you follow the instructions for set up and you will be OK. The wireless set up was a doddle, it took me a little longer to get my PC to recognise the printer, but that was down to me trying to "cut corners" when I went back and reinstalled and followed the instructions to the letter, it worked fine.

I'm using this printer in the home for personal use, it is really a business machine and designed for greater use than I will give it. A shame that for the money HP do not included the full capacity cartridge - cheap skates!

For me the apps are a total waste of space and would just waste consumables. I have these on my HP Photosmart 7520 (colour) as well - really can't understand the logic. They could have spent design resources on adding a mono scan/photo copy feature which would have made this model outstanding.

Overall, a quality printer, quick and quiet printing with duplex and wireless - the features I need.
on 3 July 2013
An excellent printer which produces high quality double-sided monochrome output. Network attachment was very straightforward, as was setting up "AirPrint" so that I could use the printer from an iPad. I expect that it will be far more economical to run than the colour laser print which it replaces too, but only time will tell.
on 7 May 2013
I eventually had to pension off my old HP LaserJet 5P printer after about 18 years reliable service. This was mainly due to the increasing difficulty of getting toner cartridges, and more importantly the printer's inability to print certain documents because of the lack of sufficient memory. I chose the Pro 400 M401d printer for a number of reasons, but increased printing speed and the duplex printing facility, where both sides of a sheet of paper can be printed upon, were the main ones.
I had initial worries when the outer box containing the printer box was damaged, but opening up the inner box I found that no damage to the printer had been caused. HP's method of securing of all sensitive parts had been effective. Once unpacked there were no problems installing the printer on my PC running under Windows 7-64bit. I just followed all the on-screen prompts.
In use I have been very impressed at the printer's speed, although some might find it a little noisy. However, the quality of print is excellent and I had to hand some documents that included both text and photos from the old Laserjet 5P. I repeated these documents on the M401d and could see that the print quality had improved somewhat, not surprising as the M401d is 1200dpi against the LaserJet 5P's 600dpi. The duplex facility works a treat and will save me paper. I also checked that the documents that the 5P could not print were successfully printed on the M401d.
All in all a most satisfactory purchase.
on 8 March 2014
Great printer duplex printer. Print quality is great and the machine is quiet during printing. Wish there was an accessory to make it wifi however I just connect it to home group on windows to share the printer wirelessly. Build quality is good but not as good as previous models within the same range
on 5 June 2013
Fairly easy to set up on a network involving Macs and IOS devices and generally reliable, but it does tend to forget its wireless connection from time to time, which is irritating.