TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 4 August 2017
I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to literary adaptations, and I was hesitant about this dvd set with the Famous Five set in the 1970s. I bought it more out of curiosity than anything else, but as soon as I watched it I loved it. Although the Five have been plucked from their 1950s milieu and deposited in the then contemporary 70s, it works incredibly well and the spirit of the original stories remains intact. I remember watching the 1990s adaptation and feeling that the dialogue seemed stilted, and that it often felt like a parody if the 1950s. Moving the Five into contemporary times allowed the dialogue to be more natural, and this makes the series feel more authentic in my opinion. Most of the stories are here although book one, Five on a Treasure Island, couldn't be filmed due to rights issues. So episode one is Five on Kirrin Island, where the Five meet for the first time. Each episode is full of drama and humour, and the four child actors do a great job of capturing the characters of Julian, Dick, Anne and George. German actor Michael Hinz is a very good Uncle Quentin, temperamental and impatient at times but warm and kind at others. There are lots of well known actors throughout; Brian Glover, Patrick Troughton, Ronald Fraser and a very young Rupert Graves, to name a few. The whole series exudes the warmth and fun of the original books and I wish I'd bought it years ago.
6 people found this helpful
on 11 May 2016
Have been reading the famous five stories to my 8 & 6 year olds, which they have been thoroughly enjoying, and bought these DVDs to enjoy at the end of each book. I wil only let them watch an episode when we've finished a book. The stories on the dvd's aren't exactly the same, and in some cases are only loosely based on the books with the same episode titles, incase anyone else is looking for an exact replica of the stories from the books. Often characters are completely omitted or new individuals added who are an amalgamation of a few. The episodes aren't in the same order as the books either though it is easy enough to watch them in the same order as the books as each episode is entitled by the same name as the books, and some are in two parts, so the stories are longer! Despite buying theseI haven't let my children watch them all yet as I felt if I let them see all the dvd episodes first it would spoil surprises when reading the stories, which are of course always so much better than any television adaptation. We are currently on book 12/21 and and it is working really well! Whenever we finish reading a book we watch an episode! Great fun! The series is obviously old fashioned by modern standards, but as an adult I love it as the children are all so polite and kind to each other, which is how I's like my children to be to one another! Also the famous five are such good role models. They act with integrity and moral considerations. There is no swearing, blasphemy or other objectionable content. I hope it will have a good impression on them anyway! Lovely series! Totally recommend it, but in no way a replacement from reading the actual stories themselves.
3 people found this helpful
on 19 June 2016
Six DVD Boxset Featuring The Original Seventies Series Of Enid Blyton's Famous Five. Based on The original classic books which we have all read at some point in our lives The series faithfully captures The Transition of stories from book to screen. Five On Kirrin Island Five Go To Mystery Moor Just Two of The many Titles of original Five Adventures included in The collection. The Disc's have all been remastered offering really The best picture Quality available. A Trailer for The series is olso on view Quite rare To see These days. The real bonus is an updated interview with several members of The cast as They are Today and comparing Them with The many clips on view when They really were just youngsters. The series offered The Grown ups To shine with The cream of British Talent on view featuring Patrick Troughton and Rupert Graves To name a few. But as Enid Blyton's Anne, George, Dick & Julian It's The young stars of The series That Take The center stage its Their series and They know it. From secret passageways secret caves and foiling The bad guys The stories leap from Blyton's printed page to enthral TV viewers young and old. The whole collection comes in The shape of a book just as you would be reading The original books. within The pages an informative booklet Detailing The episodes and background information on The series and it's young stars. if I had one little niggle with The collection it Does not list The episodes on The actual Disc's while The booklet Does include an episode guide again these are not numbered To The relevant Disc. if I want To view say Five On Kirren Island you really are fumbling about with your six Disc's To find it. But This is a minor fault really from a very impressive DVD release. The Famous Five would return in The middle eighties with a new series and a new cast but it lacked The charm of This The original classic 70s series Enid Blyton was often letting her young characters Drink Ginger beer lashings of Ginger beer she would often use The phrase Throughout her Five books This collection is lashings of Good fun.
on 16 January 2016
This is a most enjoyable DVD made up of the 1970's TV series of Enid Blyton's Famous Five. As well as the DVD's the package includes a booklet of information about the series, and the stories. The stories themselves will bring happy, nostalgic memories to adults who watched them as children; and excitement and enjoyment to a new generation of children. The TV episodes are based on Enid Blyton's books featuring the Famous Five; sometimes they do differ from the books to some extent but they are still very enjoyable to watch, and very well-produced. The four children and their dog Timmy have adventures on islands and in mysterious caves; they encounter a strange "spook-train", they go caravanning and meet an elephant (and that's just the start of one exciting story!) They go horse-riding on a moor and get involved with crooks using a mystery plane; there is the strange travelling fair in Cornwall - and much, much, more! This is a great DVD providing great entertainment.
on 17 September 2015
So cheesy with appalling acting, but my kids love it - a throwback to uncomplicated times when kids could be kids without all the pressures of the modern media. The adaptations aren't bad and keep much to the original stories, but the stars remind you of 'Five go mad in Dorset' by the Comic Strip (Edmunson, Richardson, French and Saunders). Shame they couldn't get a wolfhound cross as Timmy. Somehow the villains being menaced by a Border Collie doesn't quite convince.
A collectors' item so still deserves 5 stars.
on 7 August 2013
I watched these on video when i was little and adored them then. For years after i wanted to see them again, so when i saw this collection, i had to have it.

This has most (if not all) of the Famous Five series from the 70's. They are a tiny bit out dated, but they are still very good, and they are proper stories, unlike a lot of new kids tv.

I've had a lot of fun watching these again, and reliving some memories from my childhood.

The only reason this sisn't get 5 stars is because the disks are not labelled with the episodes and the information isn't in the booklet either. Another issue i have is that the person who wrote the episode guides has clearly not seen the episodes, because the contain misinformation, but neither of these issues are more than minor annoyances.
2 people found this helpful
on 26 March 2011
I ordered The Famous Five Bluray from Amazon Germany but trying to find it listed on the UK site is difficult.Search The Famous Five and no Bluray options appear - I had to put the serial number from the German site into the UK search banner for it to appear. However - I finally decided to get the Blu because the UK Blu that was initially promised never got released and the dvd although good is lacking in picture quality. I thought I would take advantage of my Bluray Recorders TPS Multiregion upgrade which disables the Prohibited User Operations which means you can skip warnings, ff or skip through all sections of the disc regardless of how its been authored and most importantly - as on The Famous Five- you can switch off "forced" subtitles. I had the German dvd's and had to copy those to get the subs off but the upgrade is well worth the cost and its a feature not available if you upgrade with Multiregion Magic. Even though it was shot on 16mm the upgrade to Blu offers significant improvements over the dvd. Audio is English and German. Select English then when it starts you just switch the subs off ( if you have PUO disabled of course). Nice to see it at its best at last.
on 6 June 2014
I absolutely adored this series as a child and so was delighted to see it available all together on DVD for my adventure loving six year old daughter . . .It was so good to hear the familiar theme tune cranking up - it totally transported me back to being ten . . .and together we have sat and enjoyed the whole series all over. Its so funny how one can remember watching something 30 years ago and enjoy it again with your child, seing it through new eyes. I cannot reccommend this dvd highly enough . . .its a real find and a treasure. Plus - the packaging is very good with a book etc . . .havent read what is in the book yet as glued to the episodes - but it looks great. This would make a fantastic gift for any 6-10 year old.
on 28 May 2013
This is a must watch for all Famous Five fans, or just plain fans of Enid Blyton. The Famous Five at their best, not forgetting Timmy, and a great bunch of well picked actors who fit the part so well, depicting the freedom these children were given and the great sense of responsibility they show, together with their developing detective work as they lead and/or assist the police in catching criminals. I would love to have had the life Enid Blyton writes of in her books, it is escapism for many from our contrasting lives of the real world. Even now at the age of 58 I can sit and watch with great pleasure, still escaping somewhat from real life, and enjoying the feeling of freedom she writes about. Obviously there is a datedness about the times they live in, but what a relief from the harshness of the real world now.
on 27 November 2012
This was bought for my son who is 8 years old, he is totally absorbed by it.This is clean old fashioned adventure fun which is so lacking in childrens lives at the moment. It encouraged him to read the books as well.
I would definately recommend it, we also enjoyed it as a family.
17 people found this helpful