Customer reviews

Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 27 October 2013
Very good: funny, witty - a little Bridget Jones-ish, in parts but still original enough to be laugh out loud enjoyable, while other parts were very touching and moving. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 25 July 2017
Fab
on 30 October 2013
One of the best books of this year for me. Bernadette is a likable character who has suffered great loss, topped off my her Dad just passing away. I have been in all of the situations in the book, so it struck a personal note for me. The topic was handled with just the right amount of gravitas, and I did cry several times. It was an unexpected read, not read anything by Kathleen Long before, and will look out for more in the future. Read in two days, just the right length, didn't drag on anywhere, and wasn't a wallow in self-pity book, as it could so easily have been. Great.
on 26 June 2015
Started out a tough read, I thought, boy is this ever going to lighten up. But it had to be this way as that was the evolving situation. However, life goes on and with good people around you, you do too. The rain cleared and the beautiful rainbow come.
on 15 November 2016
I wasn't really gripped by this book and I only gave it one star as I've read a million books the same story i normally finish a book quite quickly this has taken a while to get through as I didn't really have the urge to pick it up. I just thought the characters were boring sorry!!!!
on 29 November 2014
This is a very nice book, full of life's truths.

Anyone who has lost someone could tell that the author is speaking from personal experience, and I think she nailed the feeling of loss really well. It gets a bit of a downer at the beginning but turns around, so don't be put off. I found this to be a nice, sweet, warm story about life.

I also liked the cryptograms and had a go at them.

My only reservation was that many of the chapters would end with a very final statement along the lines of 'here is the lesson I learned from all this and now I can move forward'. And then she never moved forward. It made the book drag a little because it constantly seemed like it was about to end then didn't. That is the nature of grief; you fall and get up and fall back down and get back up, often going nowhere for years- but reflecting this with Bernadette, without commenting on it explicitly made the story stall a bit at times, IMO.

But overall, a nice read.
on 2 April 2014
Those was exactly the type of book I enjoy reading on holiday. Very easy to get into, light hearted, humorous, with a few tears thrown in. I liked the main character and enjoyed her journey.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 24 July 2012
This is the third book by the author that I have read, and I think its probably the one I like best. There is a very different feel to it; the other two books being very much light hearted chick lits and whilst this is definitely a womans' book and there are some funny, lightweight and very witty moments in there it is also a very moving look at a woman coping with the death of her father and the breakdown of her marriage. The main character, Bernie is very likeable and, meeting her during some of her darkest hours, you immediately start to empathise with her and hope that she manages to get through things, get her act together and start living life again with the help of her family, friends,extremely disobedient dog and the cryptography puzzles that her father left her to solve after his death.

As with the other two books by this author there is a new love angle but this isn't really explored in this book, it is more dangling tantalisingly in the background like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow in the book's title that we all seem to be chasing, even if we never realise that we may have already found it.

A very enjoyable read, just like the author's other books, which left me smiling and with more than a few tears in my eyes.
on 18 January 2012
I got this eBook for free or else for very little - I can't quite recall. I know I didn't spend much on it and for that I am glad. The main protagonist is likeable and one can't help feeling sympathetic towards her. It takes one some time to decide whether the book is meant to be humorous or serious however and it seems like the author can't quite decide either. It deals with the very sad issues of parental death and divorce butalso with the heroine's failure to get her life together which is done in an amusing way. It was an easy and relatively frothy read however and while I wouldn't be rushing out to buy it I do think it's fine for the beach or in a situation where no brain-power is required.
on 28 October 2014
Enjoyable easy to read book. A book about dealing with grief and realising that people react differently to it. Some sad parts but also some funny parts.