Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 22 January 2012
This book has everything and I haven't been able to put it down. Its made me laugh,cry,wonder what will happen next. Definately more woman reading material and I could easily relate to the main character. Its a well written book and I would recommend reading it.
The book is the story of a woman who's husband walks out on her just after her father dies so its a double blow then her best friend discovers she's pregnant at 42 years old and with an already teenage daughter.
on 14 January 2014
This book was a fairly good easy read but I thought the ending was predictable .I have not read any other books by Kathleen Long but I will keep my eyes open for another one in the future.
on 23 July 2015
Kathleen Long clearly writes about loss and bereavement from her own experience and there were parts of this book that touched me. However, there were parts where I almost abandoned the book before the end. I thought that the cryptograms would play a more significant part in the story, but they merely seemed to add a loosely linked quotation at the end of each chapter. I found myself wondering how Bernadette managed to keep afloat financially whilst providing her friends' business with free labour. A service she provided, despite the treatment meted out by David, because she 'needed' the job. Her passive-aggressive behaviour started to annoy me. In a number of the situations where she had conflict with other characters, she accepted their bad behaviour and then beat herself up about her own. I was still mentally composing a letter of complaint to 'Rediscover You' for the rudeness of their staff two chapters later! While I get that the point of the story is singing your own rainbow, the turn around from grieving, self punishing, lonely, jobless middle aged woman to successful purple toe nailed columnist with love interest from a lovely caring guy seemed to just happen. Less like chasing a rainbow, more like having one gift wrapped and placed on your lap. I guess this book just isn't my cup of tea
on 28 April 2014
A quickish easy read, ideal for a journey. For me, a bit repetitive, in a drone on sort of way and also in a terms of speech kinda way, although this style is interspersed and lifted by glimpses of life that most of us can relate to. Quite witty, but not a comedy by any means, ends on a tear and a heart smile, so leaves a comfort meal kinda satisfaction feeling. I liked the sentiment of the book, didn't care much for repetitive cliches which became an irritation by the time I had gotten to the end. Far too chick flick for me, which is no fault of the author. Kathleen Long admits to weaving real life events into the story, and i really like my fiction to be fiction, I don't want an emotional connector trying to grab me by the throat and draw me in, I want to jump in because I love the story so I was at war with my social conscience throughout. I don't know if I would be inspired to read another Kathleen Long novel. If you like Sophie Kinsella, you will probably like this work.
on 7 August 2014
This is an easy read but it would not have me rushing to read another book by this author. I found some of the situations the main character gets herself into were ridiculous beyond the point of being humorous! Not for me.
on 30 September 2013
I liked the humour this writer injected into her story, indeed that was the main reason I ploughed on. Because at times it did feel a bit like that. This study of a woman's grief did go on a bit, and although the central character was likeable and all too believable, ultimately I thought there was material for a long short story here rather than a novel. But I loved her relationship with Poindexter, the dog. It was obvious it was all going to turn out well in the end, and she would finally get her life on track, but there were a lot of anomalies for us to cope with on the way. I was severely worried about how she was coping financially, jobless and neurotic!
on 30 March 2016
Not a bad read, but just not really my cup of tea to be honest.
I found Bernies character a bit irritating at times.
I would say perhaps a good on the beach, holiday type of read.
on 26 September 2013
A light,easy reading and heart warming story which I enjoyed almost throughout. There are some very touching scenes but also some very OTT which, for me, spoilt the overall enjoyment. Although this genre is often seen as a form of escapism there was still too great a loss of reality at times. For example, how does Bernie finance her day to day living and occasional expensive splurges without paid employment. Also I find it hard to imagine that a much younger man and her new neighbour would both be seriously attracted to her given that she had (understandably) let herself go in terms of appearance.
on 8 May 2014
Easy read. Not enough depth.Too many silly incidents. Don't think I would read anything else by this author. Would not recommend.
on 10 April 2014
my life's journey has been so like Bernie it is frightening. This story had me in tears from start to finish. instead of looking my Dad I lost my Mum. Chasing Rainbows has reminded how life spans out is my choice, living in the past is not acceptable. Kathleen is very descriptive shows empathy, love laughter and sorrow all in one sentence. A wonderful interpretation of someone's journey, remembering to chase rainbows.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse