on 9 November 2011
I have other French cookbooks, French Country Cooking and Elizabeth David, both of which I love, they are classics and great reference books.

French Brasserie feels somewhat more modern, lighter and simpler (and less calorific) than these classic French works. Daniel Galmiche has lifted and reworked many classic brasserie dishes to work well in the British home kitchen.

Containing 100 recipes, the book is divided into chapters featuring basics, meats, fish and shellfish, vegetarian, side dishes & salads and desserts. The majority of recipes have a full page photograph. The photos are bright clear and concentrate on the food without fussy styling. Most recipes have an introduction telling of Daniel's inspirations, memories of the dish and why some of the ingredients are used.

Recipes are unfussy, not needing specialist ingredients or equipment, although some are slow cooked the hands on time is quite short. My usual benchmark for how attainable is a recipe or book for the average home cook is to ask myself if my boyfriend could cook the dish without asking me a question, or taking that much longer than I would (or creating much more mess). Undoubtably he could make everything in the book easily.

Recipes that caught my eye are the pork steaks in a mustard and gherkin sauce below - cooked when a friend came for dinner. Delicious, the gherkins cut through the creamy sauce making it far less rich, I have made a variation on it several times. The fruit parcels in filo were also delicious, given a twist with star anise and black pepper.

I am looking forward to trying the cassoulet, duck rillettes and lime risotto.

Great for everyday suppers and for dinner parties. Daniel is also very helpful on Twitter when I could not decide where to start with the book.
on 20 October 2013
My heart sank somewhat when I first opened this book, to a careful explanation that what Galmiche had just described 'is called a sauce bechamel'. Having got to grips with 'sauce bechamel' more than thirty five years ago, I thought I was probably in the wrong place. But I gave a couple of things a try, anyway....and discovered how good Mr Galmiche in fact is. The recipes are completely reliable, and peppered with good tips, new even to somebody who has been cooking for quite a few decades. Bass in Salt was a revelation, and his frequent use of lime when cooking fruit - to very good effect - is an excellent discovery. I highly recommend this, as a great new all-rounder.
on 7 March 2013
I wanted to start cooking something other than Chicken and rice, or various other training meals - So I purchased 'French brasserie cookbook' as my first forray into the culinary world proper.

Firstly, the book itself is of excellent quality - Thick, textured cover, glossy pages and high quality images. My only complaint here is that there aren't images for all the dishes in the book, which almost makes them less desirable to prepare.

The book starts off with the basics of making stock, sauces, vinagrettes etc., that are referred to in some of the dishes. The instructions could be a little more comprehensive in places perhaps indicating common mistakes and how to rectify, but generally the recipes are very easy to follow. The selection of dishes was okay, though I would have liked to see a few more. Another point which I felt could have improved the book was including how each recipe differed from it's traditional version - it would be great to have a go at some really authentic French dishes!

All in all, I got exactly what I wanted from this book - an introduction to cooking famous French dishes. I would highly recommend this book for the beginner, but I get the feeling it may be a little simplistic for people who can already cook to a decent standard!
on 29 December 2013
If you want a good French cookbook with easy to follow recipes that don't need loads of ingredients then I recommend this one. Daniel lives and works in the uk and is a regular on saturday kitchen, a nice genial guy that is not stuffy or pretentious like some french Chefs out there and the simple recipes he presents in this book are to die for. A fantastic book and well worth buying if you fancy a dabble in french cuisine without going over the top...Nice looking book too!
on 12 December 2014
Some great recipes from a great chef. None are too fiddly but some require learning some new skills and techniques which are fully explained. It makes me hungry just thinking about the book. Try the fondant potatoes but do them in a braising pan on the hob to save firing up the oven.

I want to go to is restaurant, the Vineyard, to taste the real thing.
on 30 August 2017
Lovely, reliable (so far as I've made any) recipes and a good range. Worth having in your recipe book shelf
on 15 July 2014
Great cookery book, recipes are easy to follow and appealing. Just made tarte tatin which was so easy and tasted delicious....though l didn't add the rosemary this time. Looking forward to trying more recipes. Great value and has many of the dishes we loved on our visits to France! So many French cookery books are so complicated that l am put off even trying a recipe.
on 26 December 2013
This book allows the amateur to recreate French resturant food as it is cooked today, rather than the glorified and complex dishes in grander books, that never taste like the real thing I find. This is not a book for a beginner but for an improver I would say.
VINE VOICEon 11 November 2013
Absolute delicious food. Covers most of the delicious tasty basics, along with basic stocks and a couple of totally necessary sauces, just reading these recipes and looking at the illustrations make you just dribble and embarrass yourself. Wonderful.
on 30 December 2012
I really like and enjoy the French Brasserie Cookbook. It is easy to understand and use. It always reminds me of my favourite Brasserie in the eighteen just as you leave leave the ninth and are walking up the hill. A wonderful young couple made many of the dishes shown in the French Brasserie Cookbook.